• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RebaLynnTS

Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

Haljackey

Quote from: Tarkus on February 23, 2008, 04:07:43 AM

No Way....  :o

I have been waiting for this for a LONG Time!  This is the first time I've seen them in the game (properly)!  Excellent work!

BTW, there are textures already modeled for this type of intersection if you want to have a look.  I'm not sure if it applies to this but I'll give you the link anyways:

http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=124&threadid=55265&STARTPAGE=30
(There are a few different textures here if you scroll down the page further)

Best,
-Haljackey

j-dub

Yay. :)  now thats what im talkin about. @Haljackey, from what it seems, that the ATL is a different road/avenue network. So I assume for regular roads and avenues, the textures back on ST will be used for the regular Avenues, but this situation is different, because the road in Tarkus' picture has 3 continous lanes,  those other textures you linked, looks like the design was for two lane road. So that was a good move to bring that back up. For Euro users, I'm sure someone else will do a face lift. Those textures on ST should be considered for the Euro version, whoever does it. I can see it, the middle will likely be inversed with white lines, maybe the spit on the out, the solid on the in. On my game, theres the ATL texture (double yellow line, reduced arrows) and the regular Avenue Left Turn Lane. Because of this I think we should have a choice in the next release rather than having both textures in play. I'd like to have all my textures with the double yellow line more than the avenues instead of the Euro looking Avenue textures that originally came with NAM. I know other people would like to see the Euro version. I know whoever made that below, gets the concept of how American's turn, but I don't think their from there, thats the debate, in reality those yellow markings are a good idea, but reality check I never usually se it like that. Plenty of time before 09 for a Euro ATL anyone? @Tarkus, never realized it before, in that top pic having ht wires right next to houses, is a bad cancer causer. :o 
American (concept)                                                                      Euro (concept)

Tarkus

More intersections, as promised . . .  ::)

TLA-5 Turn Lanes on a TLA-5/TLA-5 +-Intersection

Proving that this is in fact separate from the Avenue network:

TLA-5 Turn Lanes on a TLA-5/TLA-5 T-Intersection

And a rather pleasant but unanticipated side-effect.

Haljackey, to answer your question, those textures are in fact designed for the Road Turning Lanes, not the TLA-3.  The TLA-3 is actually wider than the Road Turning Lanes.  At one point I did actually have the TLA-3 at the same width as the RTL, but it looked far too squished. ;)  Those textures might work, however, if I stretched them out . . .  ;)

And everyone, to confirm something you've probably been wondering, TLA v1 will be released before RHW v21 (likely well before).  No specific dates, of course. ::)

-Alex (Tarkus)

Ryan B.

Alex, that is some NICE stuff there.   ;D

Just y'all wait until we get some nice new shiny textures on there.  It's gonna be very nice.

Pat

I wish I could see all the pics you posted Alex but all Im seeing is red X cept the last one of the unexpected but pleasent effect lol......

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Tarkus

Quote from: Pat on February 23, 2008, 08:50:59 PM
I wish I could see all the pics you posted Alex but all Im seeing is red X cept the last one of the unexpected but pleasent effect lol......

Hmm . . . that's a bit odd.  They're showing up on my end--Imageshack might have just been being stupid for a few minutes (it does that all too often).  Here's direct links for the first three in case anyone else is having the same problem.

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/2796/tla022320081on7.jpg

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/1025/tla022320082ys8.jpg

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/9734/tla022320083ku9.jpg

-Alex

dragonshardz

had the same problem around 9:50 AST, but it's cleared up now at 10:37 AST

Pat

go fig I come back in here after you posted Alex and now they are working just fine lol..... BTW talk about sweetness lol

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

yoshiisland2

Those intersections are looking great.  This reminds a lot of Tarpon Avenue closer to downtown and State Road-580 further South.  I have no idea when this will come out, but now I know which will come first...oh well I can wait for the new RHW, V20 is enough to keep me going for a few years. ;)

-Yoshi

kassarc16

Tarkus, I just thought of something after seeing the TLA-ATL comparison.

Will it be possible to switch the traffic signals to the far side of intersection for the TLAs (or even the ATLs eventually), or will that screw up the animation timing or stop paths?

Great update, BTW. I take it the "unanticipated side-effect" smooths out a curve or two on the project?

BigSlark

Alex,

Great development in the past few days. I always, always enjoy seeing what you've come up with and I look forward to playing with this in my cities.

Cheers,
Kevin

Swamper77

Quote from: kassarc16 on February 23, 2008, 10:38:49 PM
Tarkus, I just thought of something after seeing the TLA-ATL comparison.

Will it be possible to switch the traffic signals to the far side of intersection for the TLAs (or even the ATLs eventually), or will that screw up the animation timing or stop paths?

Stoplights have to be on the tile that has the stop points that they are working with. The stoplight props are just visual displays for the stopping and going of traffic. The only time that they can be placed on the opposite side is on intersections that are 1 tile across. For intersections that are 2 tiles across, they must be on the approaching sides to function properly. Otherwise, they just stay green all the time.

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

mightygoose

thats a bummer because here in the uk most traffic signals are doubled up.... so the frontcar in the queue can see when to go....
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

xxdita

I like the turn lane textures, but maybe the intersections should have the turn lines as well?

RebaLynnTS

Couldn't you make a set of offset rendered stop lights, so they appear to be on the other side of the intersection?
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

j-dub

Quote from: Swampper77Stoplights have to be on the tile that has the stop points that they are working with. The stoplight props are just visual displays for the stopping and going of traffic. The only time that they can be placed on the opposite side is on intersections that are 1 tile across. For intersections that are 2 tiles across, they must be on the approaching sides to function properly. Otherwise, they just stay green all the time.
I think thats better than getting caught at a red light for a while, however are you sure thats right, because I look at the Avenue Puzzle Piece, the elevated one you use for an on and off ramp, and those are across, but the ones with the pole already attached I thought those worked, but thats not a continuous network, maybe because its really two roads/oneways conjoined on a 1x2 versus the ATL's continuous 5x5 lanes? Or maybe I was just seeing things, but wouldn't it not matter anyway, because you said they have to be on the tile they are working with so long as it goes straight across this shouldn't be a problem, but T's on the otherhand maybe. I don't really care about how traffic lights are positoned, and by doing that the ATL poles 24 and 25 would have to be edited so the walklight faces the other direction. In fact why in reality do they position the lights in various ways they do, yet the same type of intersection? I just reinstalled my game recentlly due to failure, and the ingame pictures show the traffic lights on the opposite side of the avenueXavenue intersections. Man what a difference, the single streetlights look like they used to be as big as the avenue ones. @Tarkus, what about if the ATL is going to end at road, and not go across? Or is that where the ATL to Ave transition comes in? I don't know who plans a road like that, but in this one game I had you got to the end of the avenue, and you had to merge as you were turning through the junction. Oh wait, we have that where I live, double lefts that turn onto two lane roads, and left turn lanes that turn into nothing. Ahhhhhhhhhhh

Filasimo

jdub: as i have mentioned to your post in the RHW thread please read carefully kay? thanks!  ;)
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

Ryan B.

j-dub, please try to stay on topic here.  It'd make it a lot easier for people viewing this thread to view our progress in this astonishing endeavour.

Haljackey

Quote from: Tarkus on February 23, 2008, 06:44:44 PM

Haljackey, to answer your question, those textures are in fact designed for the Road Turning Lanes, not the TLA-3.  The TLA-3 is actually wider than the Road Turning Lanes.  At one point I did actually have the TLA-3 at the same width as the RTL, but it looked far too squished. ;)  Those textures might work, however, if I stretched them out . . .  ;)

LOL, I didn't ask a question :P.  But, its nice to know what you have planned there.  I actually had no idea that there was a difference between a Road Turning Lane (RTL?) and a centre turning lane (ATL?), I thought they were the same thing! (and width!)
-But as they say, you learn something new everyday. ;) Best of luck with the project!

Quote from: mightygoose on February 24, 2008, 02:40:13 AM
thats a bummer because here in the uk most traffic signals are doubled up.... so the frontcar in the queue can see when to go....

Same here in Canada.  I'm not a big "traffic light fanatic", but this is a bummer.  Oh well, I am used to what I see with the Ave-Ave intersection anyways.  Interesting point though!

j-dub: Eh?  What are you getting at?  Try to space out your post so it can be a little more readable, that way its easier to understand what you are mentioning.

Best,
-Haljackey