• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edgware

Wow this looks cool.  It seems to me that in the intersection you just posted (the TLA 5 i think), you are trying to make two different traffic lights.  Here's what I mean.

You have 3 lights, the first one is a left turn signal, the other two are regular.  At the beginning of the sequence,
the left turn signals of both sides (or one in a T intersection) turn green while the regulars turn red.  Afterwards the regulars turn green while the left turn one's turn red.  Then when the regulars turn red, the other road does its sequence
Cities:

Tenian
Montgomery
Marketville
Bel Air Columbia

j-dub

Left on green arrow only
Edgware, you actually like that? Getting stuck at one of these left turn signal lights, with the extra amount of time you have to wait doesn't bother you?
Left turn on green arrow only, now really? If yes, that would be cool programing, but in reality there is always chance of getting stuck for longer, an emergency vehicle or train passes by, the censors broke, or some jerk blocks me at the last minute, so I try to go to intersections below as much as possible, because it all has happened to me. Okay no ones looking, no traffic cams, floor it!

(just a example idea)

smoncrie

j-dub,

I did not change the stop point.

I made the traffic light into an offset prop; the point where you see the traffic light is different from the point were the prop is placed.

I did not change the position of the modified prop, so it was still on the stop point, and its timing and the flow of traffic did not change.  But since it was an offset prop, you could see the traffic light over a different part of the intersection.

This is, in effect, a trick that allows one to "move" the traffic light without changing its behaviour.

Tarkus

smoncrie, that is really quite interesting to hear--I had always wondered if there was some way to offset the signals.

To go further off-topic . . . or is it on-topic? . . . decide for yourselves . . .  ::)

I made a few little "modifications" to the TLA-3 texture and came up with . . . this . . .

As you can see it's pathed.  Orthogonal-only at the minute, though that will change. ;)

-Alex

Swamper77

Quote from: Edgware on May 04, 2008, 06:34:27 PM
Wow this looks cool.  It seems to me that in the intersection you just posted (the TLA 5 i think), you are trying to make two different traffic lights.  Here's what I mean.

You have 3 lights, the first one is a left turn signal, the other two are regular.  At the beginning of the sequence,
the left turn signals of both sides (or one in a T intersection) turn green while the regulars turn red.  Afterwards the regulars turn green while the left turn one's turn red.  Then when the regulars turn red, the other road does its sequence

The game cannot support complex stoplight sequencing like that. It is only capable of going through a normal stoplight cycle (green-yellow-red) on one axis of an intersection before starting the sequence on the other axis. You can make left turn signals with arrows, but they will be green at the same time that the thru traffic signals are green. It is a limitation of the EXE.

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

j-dub

@Tarkus, thats awesome, W.O.W. It may not be 5 lanes, but this might just make the people waiting in the wider one way forum happy to see that is being developed.

Pat

oooh alex you tease!!!! that is simply wonderful!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Tarkus

I have an announcement to make:

The TLA thread is now officially the Network Widening Mod (NWM) Project thread.  The NWM will encompass the TLA/Wider Avenues project, in addition to the Wider OWRs and the ARD (Asymmetrical Road, formerly SLR), and all of these networks will now be showcased here on this thread.

The RHW/MIS will continue as a separate but related project.

-Alex (Tarkus)

Pat

Its about time to do some house cleaning Alex!!! sweet so all the loss projects are now one that is will make it so much easier to follow I do believe....

• TLA/Wider ave
  • Wider OWR's
  • ARD former SLR

are officially the new NWM, I like that alot Alex, but one question is what about SPM wouldn't that benefit to consolidation as well?

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Tarkus

j-dub and Pat, thanks for the support!

Quote from: Pat on May 04, 2008, 11:31:09 PM
one question is what about SPM wouldn't that benefit to consolidation as well?

Well, the SPM is really kind of a different animal--it deals with the Maxis networks as well, and I think it would be best to keep it as a separate add-on.  It will eventually support the NWM networks, though. ;)

-Alex (Tarkus)

JoeST

Tarkus.. YOU ARE A GOD!!!!!....

thankyou, what youve done here is amazing ;)

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Lollo

Quote from: star.torturer on May 05, 2008, 02:43:41 AM
Tarkus.. YOU ARE A GOD!!!!!....

thankyou, what youve done here is amazing ;)

Joe
Quote from: Pat on May 04, 2008, 09:51:31 PM
oooh alex you tease!!!! that is simply wonderful!!!

What can I do if not agree to these messages.... Alex you rock!

Keep an eye on the Lair!

Haljackey

3 lane one ways???

Wow!  Awesome... just awesome!  Brilliant work Tarkus!

MandelSoft

WOW!
That's all I can say about the NWM. Keep on going!
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

gaotingguxiu

Alfred.Jones

Sim City 4 Devotion

gaotingguxiu

JoeST

hey gaotingguxiu, have you read the first post?

Quote from: Tarkus on May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM
NWM PROJECT
Current Status--No public version available.  Development on the project is currently ongoing on the initial release, Version 1. It and all further releases of the NWM, adding new features and functionality, will be made available when they are ready.  We cannot, however, give a definite release date or timeline.
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

toxicpiano

I find that alcohol, taken in sufficient quantities, can bring about all the effects of drunkenness.

Cosmic

Only very very cool? I think it deserves something a bit more like... this:

Wow! This is actually happening! This is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!111oneone :o :o
OK, maybe that was a bit energetic, but hey, words don't really begin to describe the awesomeness the NAM and it's many additions and separate add-ons are adding to this game. It's like we already have Sim City 5 here! Of course, this raises the question "Why do we even need Sim City 5 if we have such a talented modding community here?"

I for one actually am waiting to see if Maxis will actually get off their lazy bums and give us a real Sim City sequel instead of Societies...