• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow Assassin

QuoteMAVE 6? Wow. Are you using a puzzle-piece override for creating it though? Or is there a lack of intersections that causes it to revert to the MAVE 4? Anyway, this is excellent progress! =) Wish to see it ingame soon.

I'm only using a side-by-side OWR3 override drag. The MAVE-4 uses OWR-2. The OWR3 has a tendency to revert back to OWR-2... so that's why it's unstable.

The MAVE-6 won't be done till the OWR-3 is made more stable. Until then, you guys will have to make do with MAVE-4. :P

I agree that double white lines are a good idea. If there is a MAVE in the Netherlands, it would be this way.

They're common here as well. I just used the dashed line... it's possible that'll be done for TLA-5 Euro, but I'm not sure. :P
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

deathtopumpkins

Are there already American textures for MAVE?

So it works by just drawing to OWR3s next to each other?

I don't mean to sound demanding, I'm just wondering.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Shadow Assassin

QuoteAre there already American textures for MAVE?

Yes. They just haven't been added, that's all.

QuoteSo it works by just drawing to OWR3s next to each other?

Yes. For the MAVE-6 anyway.
New Horizons Productions

Ryusuke516

What about (inthe future) an 8 lane elevated highway and ground highway? (just wondering)

Everything looks very nice, and great effort has been put into it, keep up the good work.

MandelSoft

Quote from: Ryusuke516 on July 05, 2008, 11:11:52 PM
What about (inthe future) an 8 lane elevated highway and ground highway? (just wondering)

Everything looks very nice, and great effort has been put into it, keep up the good work.

Well, in the HRS this I've this with a emergencylane. An diagonal 8-lane highway won't fit in the tile, and that could be a serious problem with pathing, modelling and network stability.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

deathtopumpkins

Cool.

Quote from: Ryusuke516 on July 05, 2008, 11:11:52 PM
Well there is the RHW8, which should be in v21 or 22, which might eventually get an elevated version.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Edgware

cool.  i can't wait to see the american textures on the mave 4
Cities:

Tenian
Montgomery
Marketville
Bel Air Columbia

Patricius Maximus

Well, I just had an idea pertaining to the talk in the past about reversible lanes. The answer to the question was that paths cannot be timed as they are in reversible lanes in RL.

I know that actual reversible lanes can't be made.

My idea is to have something like the ARD-3 be given new textures such as these.

Australian example:

Canadian Example:

And for a puzzle piece to control which direction the center lane goes. Switches could be made by a special piece, such as this:

The blue lines are the rough paths.

It's just an idea. I figured it belonged here instead of the NAM Requests since it would be in effect an ARD-3 with a new texture  ;)

Also, appropiate props could be done with overhanging props or by some T21 setup. But, the NAM team always says "form follows function".

Please provide feedback about this idea.

- Patricius Maximus

gn_leugim

Toichus Maximus

say, isn't that that bridge in Vancouver by the park? Lion's Bridge or something of the sort?

allan_kuan1992

Did someone wanted to mention Lions Gate Bridge?

It gets congested pretty badly at times since it's the shortest route from Downtown to West Vancouver (a more wealthy community) and North Vancouver District.

They had thought of making an expansion, but Vancouver refused, and the only thing done actually was an upgrade of the deck to widen the lanes for safety. However, that might have a positive side effect of preventing suburban-type development from growing and encouraging people to take the Seabus, which is roughly 15 to 20 minutes from the bridge.

Anyway, back to topic. TM, that is an interesting idea. However, it might be hard for us to spot the direction that has two lanes or one lane from both ends of the transition piece.

- Allan Kuan

Ryan B.

There could be an easy way to indicate where the flow of traffic switches - put a T21 prop on the switching piece that features a lane control signal setup . . . . . or something like that.

Swamper77

Keep in mind that if such a puzzle piece is created, the paths are functional 24/7. There is no way to tell the game that certain paths are used at certain times of day.

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

Shadow Assassin

QuoteKeep in mind that if such a puzzle piece is created, the paths are functional 24/7.

It still would be a good idea, though, wouldn't it? :P
New Horizons Productions

j-dub

To me, this sounds like a certain duplicate road type already in the NWM with a different texture. I think it is a good idea, but I don't know where I'll have use for it. Some other ways to approach this, maybe if the lanes could be flipped like one-way roads, that would be awesome. It would be like having the lanes change direction, instead of replopping a starter piece. However, maybe if the middle path was pathed both ways, and you have a timed T21 over the middle, that changes, it would simulate this. The morning versus the evening commute in the game, the cars seem to be on one side more than the other direction anyway, just maybe then this is possible. An other idea, which maybe the least favored is timed car props in a non functional middle lane, that appear reverse directions during different times of day. It would be interesting to see if the bridge pictured, or the Mave bridge can be done using the ANT network's bridge menu with the RHW bridges. Is that how it works? By the way, because technically we already have Mave bridges, its just the ends of them that are regular avenues, were those planned to be modified for this project?

Patricius Maximus

QuoteKeep in mind that if such a puzzle piece is created, the paths are functional 24/7. There is no way to tell the game that certain paths are used at certain times of day.

Exactly what I said.

QuoteTo me, this sounds like a certain duplicate road type already in the NWM with a different texture.

Yes, effectively an ARD-3 with a new texture. If the NWM team creates a puzzle piece for the ARD-3 so that the extra lanes could switch sides, the concept could be done with a mod that changes the ARD-3 texture, although the regular ARD-3 would be eliminated.

QuoteHowever, maybe if the middle path was pathed both ways, and you have a timed T21 over the middle, that changes, it would simulate this.

If this could be done, that would make functional reversible lanes. Although, how would you dictate which direction at which time?

My concept is more or less what the NAM team calls "functional eyecandy". I believe that an ARD-3 network with a reversible lane texture and appropiate props would be a great idea for suburban and urban areas. It would also increase the realism tremendously.

Shadow Assassin

QuoteBy the way, because technically we already have Mave bridges, its just the ends of them that are regular avenues, were those planned to be modified for this project?

Nope, I'm (at least, anyway) not going to modify those bridges... but we may have have to create custom bridges. Alternatively, you could just transition into a normal AVE to create the bridge that you want.
New Horizons Productions

toxicpiano

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on July 08, 2008, 09:16:25 PM
Nope, I'm (at least, anyway) not going to modify those bridges... but we may have have to create custom bridges. Alternatively, you could just transition into a normal AVE to create the bridge that you want.
A question, will the MAVE have turning lanes?
Also, I think most of the bridges, the avenue squeezes itself together, so maybe someone could edit a straight transition or something.
I find that alcohol, taken in sufficient quantities, can bring about all the effects of drunkenness.

Shadow Assassin

Well, the MAVE is a side-by-side override, which means bridges would need to be normal avenue bridges, and a puzzle piece may need to be created to maintain the MAVE override so it can go over the bridge... unless I can override the texture next to the bridge piece?

As for turning lanes - yes, chances are that'll be done in the future. Except, well, I'll have to make the median like a normal avenue [which is fine anyway], and it can fit within the two tiles necessary.
New Horizons Productions

tacall

but when it finish this?? or give a beta mod... I really want this please!! ;D