• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nerdly_dood

The major pseudo-networks I'm really looking forward to with the NWM is ARD-3, TLA-3, OWR-3, TLA-5 and MAVE-4 (2-tile) and MAVE-6. Of course, that isn't to say that I won't like the other networks... but those are the ones I really could use, for variety's sake.  If a road is going to be jammed into a place where it barely fits, I probably won't be especially fond of it, unless there is a way I could tweak its surroundings to make it fit (such as a one-tile MAVE-4 - it could fit in a place where I don't want a sidewalk, such as a road through a suburban retail area with huge parking lots, or in an industrial district)

I'm looking forward to some definite news as to what exactly we'll be expecting with the NWM... most of what's been going on lately is primarily speculation.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

j-dub

Again, I would not expect a singular tile MAVE in the planning pages, as we still have yet to know about the regular MAVE, as the rest of the NWM, no rush. We will have to wait for the good news, after the RHW is taken care of. Personally, I think MAVE-6 looks like OWR-3 side by side an opposing OWR-3, because there really wouldn't be a gap in between the two OWR-3's, as of the current picture with how they measure out. Its almost then that the two OWR's would look like a MAVE, except 6 lanes, with arrows down the center lines. If the MAVE-6 is already taken care of, thats different, its just from a modding standpoint, I thought just doing OWR-3 without arrows would of been easier for accomplishing a 6. 

SamJam

Quote from: nerdly_dood on November 02, 2008, 05:18:49 PM
The major pseudo-networks I'm really looking forward to with the NWM is ARD-3, TLA-3, OWR-3, TLA-5 and MAVE-4 (2-tile) and MAVE-6...
...If a road is going to be jammed into a place where it barely fits, I probably won't be especially fond of it, unless there is a way I could tweak its surroundings to make it fit...

So basically the bits you're looking forward to the most are, well, pretty much everything LOL... I think we're all in the same position!

Actually Dood, the very reason I was interested in single-tile MAVE was because I did not want to redevelop in a tight area. Mass redevelopments often come with land purchases, but for those roads in dense downtown areas lined with houses or other permanent structures the only answer is partial expropriation of property frontage. In other words, while playing the game we wouldn't need to wipe out a whack of houses just to get more traffic through, we could simply widen the road but keep what we have. I remember a while back someone brought up the concept of a "future avenue", which would be a Maxis road on two tiles (super-wide boulevards?)for the purpose of upgrading later to a Maxis avenue. Another interesting concept, methinks... although probably a waste of time & effort when we can just build a normal road and leave a tile empty along one side.

@ j-dub:
True about the OWR-3/MAVE-6 but on diagonals it would be awkward to build or intersect, I would assume?

j-dub

That assuption would be on the money. Diagonals have always been tricky to replicate, take SAM for example. It didn't have diagonals when it was brand new, and thats only pathed on a smaller scale. So, I doubt if and when the first verison is accomplished, I'm guessing some stuff won't have diagonals, or intersections even for otrtho at all.

Haljackey

I've been playing around with the NWM for the past little bit.  Here's a little teaser of mine:

Yes, it will be possible!

Best,
-Haljackey

Geronimo

Looking good Haljackey!  :thumbsup:
Cant wait for these to be released...

metarvo

Very good, Hal.  Of course, it's not a true MAVE-6, since there is a slight median, but the OWR-3 is perhaps my most anticipated element of the NWM.  Maybe I'll be able to stop using split ground highways to represent OWR-3s in my cities.  These OWR-3's do support RCI development, don't they?
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

SamJam

Quote from: j-dub on November 02, 2008, 07:47:41 PM
...I'm guessing some stuff won't have diagonals, or intersections even for otrtho at all.

Diagonals (etc) would be nice, but beggars can't be choosers. Regardless of the depth of this release, the NWM will still provide a massive expansion to the functionality and the visual æsthetics of the game. I bet the team doesn't hear a single complaint!  ()stsfd()

@ Haljackey:
Awesome screen shot! So essentially we'll have a choice between a yellow line or a barrier for our 6-laners!

j-dub

Well, since Hal, revealed that, I can at least tell you, I have not seen, diagonals, or interections for this network, yet. I guess it makes a small median, but it still is closer together then the regular 4 lane avenues. RCI? You will be pleased to know I can confirm it at least works with direct commercial zones, and since they already are split, no more having to use extra room to split off a Maxis highway, plus this gives you sidewalks.

SamJam

Ah yes, the Maxis highway split... it's pretty useless, I never did see the point. The avenue split is a hundred times handier. I think the OWR-3 will make them both completely obsolete, though.

Fresh Prince of SC4D

That looks like the Avenue des Champs-Elysees in Paris. lol

BTW- I think somebody did a project of what I requested a few month earlier. check it : http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2373.0

Returning from Call of Duty . Must rebuilt what I destroyed....

zakuten

I have a sort of RHW-ish question about the AVE-2. What with intersections and all, would it be able to give the RHW-2 a kind of "Super-2" limited access functionality? I know not real ramps, but some sort of override or puzzle piece so that one could make an intersecting road only intersect one side of the median, like how the RHW-2 will turn into a right-turn lane when it touches only one side of an intersecting RHW4?
Visit my MD Respublikii Anaksii , or the reboot CJ "Kara`i Shores" since the region wiped, at http://www.simtropolis.com/cityjournals/?p=toc&id=919 !
All comments are welcome! (Hopefully someday I can re-splice 'em together, but we'll see)

BigSlark

Quote from: zakuten on November 05, 2008, 03:38:51 PM
I have a sort of RHW-ish question about the AVE-2. What with intersections and all, would it be able to give the RHW-2 a kind of "Super-2" limited access functionality? I know not real ramps, but some sort of override or puzzle piece so that one could make an intersecting road only intersect one side of the median, like how the RHW-2 will turn into a right-turn lane when it touches only one side of an intersecting RHW4?

There could be real ramps coming to the RHW-2, zakuten. Don't give up hope yet...  ;)

Cheers,
Kevin

nerdly_dood

Heyyy, this ain't bad! If this pair of OWR-3s is available to transition to RHW-6S, then we'll have a more aesthetic FHW/RHW-6 transition...

My advice is to use that with the one-way-road arrows removal mod. (for use as an ave-6 or alone) but that's just my preference: i'd rather have arrows in lanes approaching intersections only (none within the intersection), or none at all.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

j-dub

Sadly, right now in order for wider oneways to work, the reduced oneways arrow plugin has to be taken out, otherwise the new OWR refuses to work. Right now the arrows are engraved in the new OWR network. More work would be needed to the NWM to make it without the arrows.

Quote from: FreshPrinceofSC4DBTW- I think somebody did a project of what I requested a few month earlier. check it : http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2373.0

Yeah, about that. The GLR in Road/Avenue 2. I don't know what happened to it. That does not look like its a part of this, but I guess the status should be out there, since it has a striking resemblence to whats going on here. Basically it looks like a glr in a ave-2, but with just one glr track, unlike glr in avenue. Don't know how one track works, but thats how it is done with two way traffic, and a single track. The difference with that project, those are puzzle pieces, just like the rest of the glr pieces out already. The NWM is draggable. The glr in road is finshed, functionally but I don't know if oneways are yet. This also will introduce road underpasses, road under rail, road under road, road under avenue, but right now the NWM, and the underpassess don't seem to get along right now, being two seperate projects, only one of the menus show up. There have been some cosmetical changes to what some stuff had looked like in the glr in road thread, but at least you should know it is in the works, and how the two relate to this.

debutterfly

i like the one-way road arrows because it tells me which way traffic is going...also it looks more like Google maps or Virtual Earth. I like to know which way my people are going and if they can get to every place on the map, even the edges. There's been more action here so i think the NWM is in the early alpha phase. It might be good for Christmas but you never know. I'm just guessing.  ;)

SamJam

I agree debutterfly, it's always good to know. I made that mistake with some split ave's, actually laying three parallel to each other going in the same direction. Needless to say, my traffic got snarled. I think what bothers a lot of people about the arrows is certain zoom levels where the arrows are too visually overpowering. Sometimes I use split ave's for the majority of the road length but convert to OWRs at intersections to serve as a kind of "one way arrow sign" for cross-traffic, that way the arrows are mostly gone but some subtle arrows still exist to let me know what direction the traffic moves in.

kbieniu7

And what about it? I've seen that in one MD, and it interested me so much. Is it in progress, or it stopped
http://xs232.xs.to/xs232/08416/teaser575.jpg
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!