• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sim-al2

Opps, I never checked. I kinda feel dumb right now. ::)
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

debutterfly

Here's a list of suggestions of things that I would like to see added to the next/future release of the NWM.

1. Diagonal NWM single-tile networks with Straight Maxis/NWM networks Intersection (Definately)
     a. ARD-3 intersecting (Street, Road) (Not in v1.0.2)
2. Diagonal NWM single-tile networks with Diagonal Maxis/NWM single-tile networks Intersection (Definately)
3. Diagonal NWM/Maxis single-tile networks with Straight NWM two-tile networks Intersection (Definately)
     a. Rail intersecting (OWR-4, OWR-5) (Not in v1.0.2)
4. Elevated Maxis networks over NWM Networks
4. OWR-1/OWR-2/OWR-3/OWR-4/OWR-5 Cosmetic Network-Connection Piece (Doesn't look nice going from (a) Road(s) to a OWR at the edge of the city) (Definately)
5. AVE-8 (I know AVE-6 is already planned) (Probably).
6. Elevated NWM networks (Will more than likely take a lot of work. Would like to see single-tile networks implemented first.) (Probably)
7. Diagonal two-tile NWM networks (Probably)

I will be updating this list as I come up with new ideas.

Larry (debutterfly)

FireSka

Great to see this finally get a release after so long!  Amazing.  Thanks very much to the team for all of their hard work!!!

I'm guessing this will eventually be integrated into the NAM?

Ryan B.

FireSka, it's already been incorporated into the NAM with the release.

FireSka

Quote from: Ryan B. on June 01, 2010, 12:09:15 PM
FireSka, it's already been incorporated into the NAM with the release.

You sure?  I don't see the avenues without the median and the avenues with the consistent turning lane through the middle in the NAM May 2010 release.  The release only has the intersection turning lanes.  As the FAQ above says, the NWM is dependent on the NAM May 2010 release, but must be downloaded separately.

TJ1

I have a few questions/suggestions :)
In a later release, will the dual tile networks go diagonal? If so ill they be plopable like the diagonal GLR in Avenue?
And will there be TLA-9? And MAVE-8 (Ive seen these before).
Also will there be ARD-4/5? Or TLAard-4,5 and TLAard-6= with two lanes going in one direction a center turning lane and three lanes going in the other direction?(ive seen this before to)Or MAVEard-5,6

metarvo

FireSka, the NWM is a separate download from the NAM, although it requires the NAM.  The TLA-5 is not built with the Avenue tool at all, but it is built by dragging Roads from the TLA-5 starter piece found in the NWM menu.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

FireSka

Quote from: metarvo on June 01, 2010, 02:01:10 PM
FireSka, the NWM is a separate download from the NAM, although it requires the NAM.  The TLA-5 is not built with the Avenue tool at all, but it is built by dragging Roads from the TLA-5 starter piece found in the NWM menu.

Yes, I realize this.  All I was stating somewhat rhetorically was that I wonder if this will eventually be incorporated into the NAM so no separate download is required.  My guess is yes, eventually... as long as the NAM is still being worked on.

Nego

Quote from: FireSka on June 01, 2010, 02:34:59 PM
Yes, I realize this.  All I was stating somewhat rhetorically was that I wonder if this will eventually be incorporated into the NAM so no separate download is required.  My guess is yes, eventually... as long as the NAM is still being worked on.

Actually, no. The reason the mods are two separate downloads is because they are two different mods, even though the NWM relies on the NAM to work. Also, not everybody wants do use the NWM so having another option in the list of options in the NAM installer would not be in the end user's best interest. And finally, the folder size would be rather large if both mods were packaged together instead of being separate. There may be more reasons but that covers some of the main ones.

FireSka

Quote from: Nego on June 01, 2010, 02:45:22 PM
Actually, no. The reason the mods are two separate downloads is because they are two different mods, even though the NWM relies on the NAM to work. Also, not everybody wants do use the NWM so having another option in the list of options in the NAM installer would not be in the end user's best interest. And finally, the folder size would be rather large if both mods were packaged together instead of being separate. There may be more reasons but that covers some of the main ones.

Cool, gotcha. I'll continue to download each separately then.  This mod is great!

Tarkus

Quote from: debutterfly on June 01, 2010, 09:40:42 AM
Here's a list of suggestions of things that I would like to see added to the next/future release of the NWM.

1. Diagonal NWM single-tile networks with Straight Maxis/NWM networks Intersection (Definately)
     a. ARD-3 intersecting (Street, Road) (Not in v1.0.2)
2. Diagonal NWM single-tile networks with Diagonal Maxis/NWM single-tile networks Intersection (Definately)
3. Diagonal NWM/Maxis single-tile networks with Straight NWM two-tile networks Intersection (Definately)
     a. Rail intersecting (OWR-4, OWR-5) (Not in v1.0.2)
4. Elevated Maxis networks over NWM Networks
4. OWR-1/OWR-2/OWR-3/OWR-4/OWR-5 Cosmetic Network-Connection Piece (Doesn't look nice going from (a) Road(s) to a OWR at the edge of the city) (Definately)
5. AVE-8 (I know AVE-6 is already planned) (Probably).
6. Elevated NWM networks (Will more than likely take a lot of work. Would like to see single-tile networks implemented first.) (Probably)
7. Diagonal two-tile NWM networks (Probably)

I will be updating this list as I come up with new ideas.

Larry (debutterfly)

Definite possibilities, I'd say.  Elevated stuff is going to be model-dependent, so it'll probably take the longest.

Quote from: TJ1 on June 01, 2010, 01:16:14 PM
I have a few questions/suggestions :)
In a later release, will the dual tile networks go diagonal? If so ill they be plopable like the diagonal GLR in Avenue?
And will there be TLA-9? And MAVE-8 (Ive seen these before).
Also will there be ARD-4/5? Or TLAard-4,5 and TLAard-6= with two lanes going in one direction a center turning lane and three lanes going in the other direction?(ive seen this before to)Or MAVEard-5,6

Diagonal functionality is eventually planned in some form for all networks, though the implementation is not fully worked out.  It might mirror how the implementation's progressed on the RHW.

There are no plans for MAVEs wider than the existing MAVE-6 right now . . . as far as TLA-9 . . . well . . . ;)  I'm looking into asymmetrical setups as well.

Quote from: FireSka on June 01, 2010, 02:34:59 PM
All I was stating somewhat rhetorically was that I wonder if this will eventually be incorporated into the NAM so no separate download is required.  My guess is yes, eventually... as long as the NAM is still being worked on.

What Nego said is basically correct.  Additionally, it gives us the option of updating the NWM in between NAM releases, if we ever choose to do so. 

-Alex

j-dub

QuoteDiagonal functionality is eventually planned in some form for all networks, though the implementation is not fully worked out.  It might mirror how the implementation's progressed on the RHW.

Considering when you look at past endeavors, I would say just go with the diagonal pieces. If you guys look at the Tram in Avenue diagonal pieces, this may give you an idea how NWM could look like and work out.

Mike1814

NWM is a wonderful addition to the NAM. But I can't bring myself to use it (though I haven't use the entire thing). I'm not saying the to down the commitment and effort you've put into this. I really appreciate it. However, at least these are needed:

1. Street crosswalks/intersections
2. El/GLR/etc pieces, intersections
3. Curves and diagonals for MAVE-4 and 6 (these are the ones I used but probably others that are not available)

This would be nice also:

Oneramps for NWM roads.

I could go on about other things but it's only for a particular city at this point.

Like I said, I think the NWM is really groundbreaking, but I just don't think it's necessarily at it's potential. But NAM itself had to evolve so I hoe you don't find any rudeness in what I'm saying.

j-dub

Well, your in a land of the freedom of speech but don't tell that to the creator. He and a limited others put a lot of work and years from their lives into this mod. Sure, the NWM may not have everything, but again, its not even one year old since it was just released. It has room to grow. When the RHW first came out, it only was a 2 to 4 lane highway, instead of having a 6 lane highway, now the RHW is much more then that. The NAM also only had so much when it first released too, look what happened the years since. I honestly did not expect the NWM to come out when it did, so yeah, give it time to grow.

Blue Lightning

1. Street crosswalks/intersections
Uh, something called drawing whatever network across the NWM network?

2. El/GLR/etc pieces, intersections
That's in the pipeline.

3. Curves and diagonals for MAVE-4 and 6
In the pipeline.

Oneramps for NWM roads.
NWM networks can interface with the RHW's MIS network.

But yeah, we'll be getting there and more features eventually. Everything takes time to grow :)
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

sim-al2

It's really amazing how much functionality is packed into the mod. I remember when the only intersections one could make with a RHW (then the ANT) were with roads. ??? I think your guys have really done some excellent work! :thumbsup:
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

jdenm8

I've noticed that when I drag ARD-3 a particular way,

The paths only go one way. The opposite to the up/down road. I don't know if this is a bug, a quirk or a limitation, but it just seems weird.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

vistla

JoeST

Quote from: jdenm8 on June 01, 2010, 09:32:08 PM
I've noticed that when I drag ARD-3 a particular way,

The paths only go one way. The opposite to the up/down road. I don't know if this is a bug, a quirk or a limitation, but it just seems weird.
Explain? It all seems fine from here...
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

woodb3kmaster

Look at the middle lane's path in the intersection. It's reversed relative to the rest of the ARD-3.

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8