• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Request: Underground rail to rail converter: tunnel entrance style

Started by monkeywater, March 07, 2019, 08:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkeywater

I don't know if the NAM team even still does requests, but I would love a regular rail to underground rail rail tunnel entry piece (15m) that converts regular rail into underground rail.  So regular rail would run into a 15m incline and be converted to underground rail.

Right now the only rail to underground rail converter is the one at 36s in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPnaW5w7VBs

Of course there are rail tunnels, but those you can't build stations with.

I hope this was clear, I'm not sure how to be clear on the terminology given that underground rail and rail tunnels are so similar verbally, but so different in the game.

I mean something like this, https://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/25587-gtk-onslope-flups-gateway-for-tram-in-avenue/?page=2&tab=comments  But instead of tram-in-ave, rail, and instead of FLUP, underground rail.

Tyberius06

Hi monkeywater!

Probably there will be others with more knowladge about underground rail, so I might be wrong with some aspects, but underground rail (U-Rail) puzzle pieces more-or-less FLUPs dedicated to the rail network. The U-Rail (and all of the current FLUP pieces - glr, road etc...) by default runs -10m below surface, so what you wish (to use an onslope tunnel entrance on 15m height) it could be a bit tricky. There are other rail tunnel entrances with subway conversion: https://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/28930-flup-subway-compatible-tunnel-entrances/
In theory they can be modded to be compatible with the U-Rail pieces. I made some experiments a few months ago making some FLUP compatible stuffs, and as I saw now the linked GTK tunnel (by you) has a poor modding on this side, which can be solved pretty easily so it is possible to make that one UDI and automata compatible. Also the above linked FLUP/subway compatible entrances could get a deeper transit modding, but the thing is that the slope/elevation is supposed to be +10 meters to allow a smooth transition between the tunnel entrance and the U-Rail, but I'm not sure that the model would still look good with a lower elevation.
Anyway it would be nice if some could make a bunch of tunnel entrances which would support the 10m elevations, so these onslope transitions would be possible...

- Tyberius

PS: by the way the NAM tunnel entrance has an original model version, it might be possible to turn that one into an onslope entrance lot, but it would be still a LOT with some sort of station function.
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

monkeywater

Hi Tiberius,

10m would be fine as well, it is more a need for onslope rail to underground rail FLUPs, I am not dedicated to just one height.

The piece I linked to I tried it at 10 and 15 m and it looks fine with either, surprisingly.  It looks better at 10 but works at 15.

When you say the piece I linked has poor modding, what do you mean?  I tested and I seem to get both road and tram traffic through it. 

Tyberius06

Quote from: monkeywater on March 08, 2019, 04:45:30 AM

When you say the piece I linked has poor modding, what do you mean?  I tested and I seem to get both road and tram traffic through it. 

It's functional as a transit station with 80000 passanger capacity. There are set up transit switch points, so when the TIA dual network touch this lot the sims  are able to use it as a station, and they are able to jump from one side to the other side. But the lot itself is not transit enabled nor pathed, so automatas and UDI won't be able to use it. Probably I'll take a look onto it, and will try to make a fully functional relot (like I did with the Caribou Ramps), now that I know it's far from properly functional.
Anyway I'll take a look onto the whole concept for other networks too, but as I said the main problem (specially with other networks where we have more option for tunels) is how the models would look with the 10 elevation which is required for the U-Rail pieces.
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.

Aaron Graham

-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy

monkeywater

Quote from: Tyberius06 on March 08, 2019, 02:49:35 AM
There are other rail tunnel entrances with subway conversion: https://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/28930-flup-subway-compatible-tunnel-entrances/
In theory they can be modded to be compatible with the U-Rail pieces.

Thank you so much for that link.  It actually had the piece I needed.  Here it is at 10m elevation. (see image)

Unfortunately it is not perfect (and even less perfect at 15 m elevation) as I need to place a rail under pedmall lot on the slope for the connection.  This won't match the walls right next to it.  How much work would it be to create a rail-under-wall piece?  (or reskin a rail under pedmall style that I don't use with the wall texture?)

monkeywater

Quote from: Tyberius06 on March 08, 2019, 05:18:16 AM
Quote from: monkeywater on March 08, 2019, 04:45:30 AM

It's functional as a transit station with 80000 passanger capacity. There are set up transit switch points, so when the TIA dual network touch this lot the sims  are able to use it as a station, and they are able to jump from one side to the other side. But the lot itself is not transit enabled nor pathed, so automatas and UDI won't be able to use it. Probably I'll take a look onto it, and will try to make a fully functional relot (like I did with the Caribou Ramps), now that I know it's far from properly functional.
Anyway I'll take a look onto the whole concept for other networks too, but as I said the main problem (specially with other networks where we have more option for tunels) is how the models would look with the 10 elevation which is required for the U-Rail pieces.

Thanks for clarification on how these converters work!  I'm excited if you decide to improve on what is out there!

Tyberius06

Quote from: monkeywater on March 08, 2019, 09:26:06 PM

Thank you so much for that link.  It actually had the piece I needed.  Here it is at 10m elevation. (see image)

Unfortunately it is not perfect (and even less perfect at 15 m elevation) as I need to place a rail under pedmall lot on the slope for the connection.  This won't match the walls right next to it.  How much work would it be to create a rail-under-wall piece?  (or reskin a rail under pedmall style that I don't use with the wall texture?)

It actually looks better than I expected. I think there should be I thought there was U-Rail under terrain surface, but only found a bunch of pedmall variants for U-Rail. Actually where you found the cobblestone pedmall, if you use the TAB key, at the end of the TAB-ring you will find a high wealth park grass texture... It won't match with your terrain, but it might better than the cobblestone.
I do not know how much work would be to change the surface texture to your wall textures, probably not that much, but it would be a unique custom variants and atm I don't know how. But I'm interested in learning a way to change these surface textures, because I realized that there are a bunch of pedmall textures there, which I won't use at all... So they are wasting the space from other custom solutions.
But it's not going to happen (by me) in the near future. However it's on my to do list now :)

- Tyberius