• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

A question about BRT WIMPS

Started by FrankU, January 02, 2009, 08:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gartenriese

I did some further testing.

Using the "BRTWIMPSx4to3.dat":
- Plopping all 6 lots, saving and re-entering -> CTD
- Plopping each lot seperately, saving and re-entering -> no CTD
- Plopping the first 3 and the last three lots, saving and re-entering -> no CTD
- Plopping all 6 again, saving and re-entering -> no CTD
So my CTD was not reproducable, weird.

Using the "BRTWIMPSx3to2.dat":
- Plopping all 6 lots, saving and re-entering -> no CTD

Using the "BRTWIMPSx2.dat":
- Plopping all 10 lots, saving and re-entering -> no CTD

Using the "BRTWIMPSx3.dat":
- Plopping all 10 lots, saving and re-entering -> no CTD

Using the "BRTWIMPSx4.dat":
- Plopping all lots except both depots, saving and re-entering -> no CTD
- Plopping the cable depot, saving and re-entering -> CTD
- Plopping the storage depot, saving and re-entering -> CTD

If my first CTD was just random (could not reproduce it since), then only two lots are problematic, the storage depot and the cable depot, both 3x4 lots included in "BRTWIMPSx4.dat". Can you confirm this?

EDIT: I deleted the "Purpose", "Capacity Satisfied" and "Demand Satisfied" properties in the "BRT Cable Depot" exemplar file, and now I don't get a CTD when plopping the cable depot, saving and re-entering the city. Can you confirm this, too? If yes, that would be a simple solution.

jmyers2043

Quote from: gartenriese on July 16, 2012, 01:01:26 AM
EDIT: I deleted the "Purpose", "Capacity Satisfied" and "Demand Satisfied" properties in the "BRT Cable Depot" exemplar file, and now I don't get a CTD when plopping the cable depot, saving and reentering the city. Can you confirm this, too? If yes, that would be a simple solution.

I did similar. Removed BRTWIMPSx4.dat and plopped every lot from the other files. No crash.

Removed those same properties from the Cable Depot too. Still get a crash.

Plopped the first three lots in the list from BRTWIMPSx4.dat. No crash. It was after midnight so I called it a day. Will start again this evening after my days work is done. I'll plop the rest from BRTWIMPSx4.dat to confirm your findings and go from there.

- Jim

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

gartenriese

I deleted the three properties from both the storage and cable depots and now I can load up my old city again - even with all my other plugins. So everything is OK with me now. I wonder why your city still crashes though.

jmyers2043

Quote from: gartenriese on July 16, 2012, 08:53:14 AM
I wonder why your city still crashes though.

That is because I removed the properties from only the Cable Lot. I removed the properties from both lots. No Crash. 

The WIMP file has been on the LEX for a while. And I also assume it was tested thoroughly prior to the upload.  ()what() I'll prepare an upload for the LEX scrutineers to look at before unlocking and updating. But it seems you've hit upon the fix.

- Jim

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

mike3775

Quote from: jmyers2043 on July 16, 2012, 05:46:50 PM
Quote from: gartenriese on July 16, 2012, 08:53:14 AM
I wonder why your city still crashes though.

That is because I removed the properties from only the Cable Lot. I removed the properties from both lots. No Crash. 

The WIMP file has been on the LEX for a while. And I also assume it was tested thoroughly prior to the upload.  ()what() I'll prepare an upload for the LEX scrutineers to look at before unlocking and updating. But it seems you've hit upon the fix.

- Jim

To be fair, it may have been up awhile, with lots of downloads, but many may not have actually used the lots.  I won't lie, I have grabbed hundreds of lots and honestly, never plopped them before, even though they are in my menu's, just never got around to playing with them. 

Or, they been downloaded, had the CTD issue pop up, and people removed them without thinking of making a report about it(much like me and RTMT taking forever to be plopped from another thread).

gartenriese

Well, I'm glad I could help!  :)

FrankU

It is a long time ago that I opened this thread.
Be sure I downloaded the whole set and used it.
If I did have the CTD problem those days I surely would have mentioned it. And I am still sure I did not have CTD's. Of course I edited the set for my own fun, but that was no more than some LE work. Nothing Reader like fumbling around with properties and values. So I guess my own edit should have the same CTD problem, but I never had...  ()what()

Mysterious things are going on here....

mike3775

Quote from: FrankU on July 17, 2012, 02:17:31 AM
It is a long time ago that I opened this thread.
Be sure I downloaded the whole set and used it.
If I did have the CTD problem those days I surely would have mentioned it. And I am still sure I did not have CTD's. Of course I edited the set for my own fun, but that was no more than some LE work. Nothing Reader like fumbling around with properties and values. So I guess my own edit should have the same CTD problem, but I never had...  ()what()

Mysterious things are going on here....

I am not saying that you did not report it Frank, just saying that there were not "a lot" of reports, so an in depth investigation was never really done, like what has happened now. 

I admit I rarely/if ever have reported issues with lots that I have downloaded here, but here things get scrutinized to death before they are allowed to be uploaded(unlike other places where anyone can upload, which can easily cause issues), but everyone is fallable, and something may slip through the cracks.  Remember, not to long ago, someone pointed out a bug in a MHW off ramp that has been out since long before the RHW was around, and it took this long for the bug to be exposed, even though it had been used millions of times since then, just either no one reported it, or someone just happened to finally "happen upon" the unique circumstances that caused the bug to pop up by chance and decided to report it. 

Turjan

Quote from: jmyers2043 on July 15, 2012, 07:30:22 PM
Quote from: gartenriese on July 15, 2012, 06:26:40 AM
Can you (or someone else) reproduce this?

Yes, I can duplicate the problem. The Cable Depot will cause a CTD when saving and re-entering my test city. I also plopped every lot EXCEPT for the cable depot and got another CTD so it appears there is at least one more problematic lot.

I'll put a temporary lock on the WIMP file and try to sort things out.

- Jim
Is there any update regarding this problem, as I see that the WIMPS files are still locked? I'm just asking as I wanted to use the BSC Functional Seaports, and 4 of the seaports basically use this kind of waterfront, even if not as direct dependency. It would just be nice to add a few lots from this set. I don't mind fixing the two problem pieces myself (or simply not use those).