• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdenm8

Okay. Red, there is no T-piece at the moment.
Blue, use Elevated Rail to cross the void. Use the GLR puzzle piece version as it doesn't need a T-piece on the top, only underneath (and there is one of those), and then you can use something like Buddybud's Rail overpasses to hide the pylons when crossing the highway. A STEX search will being them up.
Green, no.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

sunnyhead

Quote from: z on May 30, 2010, 09:41:33 PM
Are there any files ending in ".sav" in your NAM folder?  If so, you should delete them.  And if those are traffic simulator files, that would get rid of the extra subway icons.
Thanks Z. yes it is working well now. still have some invisible icons because I forgot to add those dep. files. thanks again for the advice.

dare2go

Quote from: jdenm8 on May 31, 2010, 06:02:27 PM
Okay. Red, there is no T-piece at the moment.
Blue, use Elevated Rail to cross the void. Use the GLR puzzle piece version as it doesn't need a T-piece on the top, only underneath (and there is one of those), and then you can use something like Buddybud's Rail overpasses to hide the pylons when crossing the highway. A STEX search will being them up.
Thanks so far...   :thumbsup:
The elevated rail bit I have worked out today (in my head only) whilst painting our bathroom...
Shame about those kinks in the oneway roads; it also means I have to demolish all corner buildings (there are more overpasses like the one marked, probably almost 12 = ~48 corner buildings, all commercial, so around 1200-2000 jobs).

Quote from: jdenm8Green, no.
Could somebody elaborate on this "no", please. Would "no" mean it will not work with the traffic flow (a single road piece at the ramp, within a long oneway section)?
Or does "no" mean there no such piece?

Shame, I thought I had actually designed a fairly 'life-like' scenario with oneway roads running parallel to the sunken highway...

It should be the best option to reduce congestions and is a logical flow to get on and off the highway. I would wish for one or two custom pieces to make this more logical (excuse my graphics skills):

SimCity - proof that the earth is flat

jdenm8

The latter. There is no piece for it. You can however use road before or after the piece, just not as part of it. You could probably implement the system you have planned with a complex - and space-consuming - RHW-4 and MIS setup.

I just had a closer look at the pic you made. I now see what you have actually done. I think there is a piece for that, but it's been a while since I've had SC4 running (I have had the Assignment Curse)...

MandelSoft

Quote from: dare2go on June 01, 2010, 02:52:15 AM
Shame, I thought I had actually designed a fairly 'life-like' scenario with oneway roads running parallel to the sunken highway...

It should be the best option to reduce congestions and is a logical flow to get on and off the highway. I would wish for one or two custom pieces to make this more logical (excuse my graphics skills):

The piece you're requesting will likely not be created, because it's "too specific". The reason why there are almost no development on new Maxis Highways pieces is because the network gets a bit outdated these days. Not only is the network inflexible, but also very, very underscaled (a cloverleaf interchange of 225m x 225m? No way!). The RHW is far more realistic and better scaled. It's also pretty flexible, and can fit in other NAM projects, like the TuLEPs and the NWM. Therefore, the RHW gets more attention than the Maxis Highways.

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

j-dub

@dare2go, disregarding the highway, there is a Oneway to T slope piece in the OWR puzzle piece tab ring, and you just have to draw past the T for the road to continue to an X.

And furthering Mrtnrln, if you want highways that have some on-ramp merging lanes, lane exit and arrow markings, the RHW has various pieces that have arrow markings on the highway when the lane is about to end before turning off at the ramp. In your case dare, space is limited here, so I won't force you to upgrade this spot. It doesn't look like it needs major upgrades, maybe in this case go with the highway restyling mod, at least it will make your Maxis highway slightly wider with a shoulder.

dare2go

First a correction: there is a puzzle piece Oneway on Slope with T intersection!
Where I'm building the sunken hwy space is very restricted (developed area), hence when tabbing thru I either get the red pieces with the text "Unsuitabel...", or it fits and only then do I get the text with the tile description - so I missed the oneway slope with T!

Quote from: mrtnrln on June 01, 2010, 07:30:08 AM
The piece you're requesting will likely not be created, because it's "too specific". The reason why there are almost no development on new Maxis Highways pieces is because the network gets a bit outdated these days. Not only is the network inflexible, but also very, very underscaled (a cloverleaf interchange of 225m x 225m? No way!). The RHW is far more realistic and better scaled. It's also pretty flexible, and can fit in other NAM projects, like the TuLEPs and the NWM. Therefore, the RHW gets more attention than the Maxis Highways.

Best,
Maarten

Maarten, if you would have read from the beginning you would have seen that I had initially laid RWH, but couldn't get the entrances to work due to the restricted space and slope, hence I bulldozed and laid the Maxis Highway...
The pieces I suggest are not Maxis highway specific; they are oneway road pieces with line splitters, meant for a oneway going parallel to any highway (or any other left side turn for that matter). I would envisage similar pieces for right turns (then both, US + England, are happy), and they would fit into the pack with the advanced turning lanes (forgot the proper name of it).

()stsfd()
SimCity - proof that the earth is flat

j-dub

Dare, disregarding the highway again, you need not worry about development of OWR having one lane to go turn left and the lane next to go straight, such was being developed for TuLEPs, I have seen it, its just those pieces did not come out this first version of the TuLEPs, but Alex (Tarkus) already came up with this concept for the future. The same pieces are great for ending a one way right before a two way network the other side. The pieces I am talking about though are just laid out on straight aways not on turn-offs but before, because I don't think there were any proposals for Maxis highway development and connections.

BradySeitz

Hey all.
I have spent a few hours searching the forums but have not found an answer.
Is there a missing a puzzle piece for the RHW. Cycling through the turn pieces, I see the different types for the MIS ramps. When I get to the ed, there is only the FLEXfly EMIS-1 (15M) Type A. Does that mean there is supposed to be a type B for the other direction, with the yellow line on the outside? Using the RHD by the way.

My second question is regarding the RHW6 S. I try to plop the curve puzzle pieces and they refuse to attach to the ends of the dragged highway. They will end one tile away, making it impossible to connect. It only happens to the Type 1 pieces.The type 2 have worked fine. Has anyone else ran into this issue? If I can't get it fixed, I will probably have to resort to the 6-C and drag turns.

Thanks guys and gals and great job on the new NAM, I love the NWM, makes very realistic suburban areas with the TuLEPs.

Brady

MOREOPTIONS

Good day everyone.  After installing a new Drive and playing with my NAm addons,.. I have two things i would like to get your help with,...
1st,  Is it ok to have the Rural Highways and the new Real Highways Mod's working together?  or should i rem the old Rural one?
2nd,  In the Pic you will see something missing,. as I am un able to drag the connection between the up and down like in the video.  but the thing is, I dont have the blue one. where do I get the blue one. if thats the one i need to be able to make this connection... May I ask someone to post a link please. Thank you  God Bless

I was able to locate the one I was looking for by Blue Lightning!!!  44 This is the "Elevated RHW-4 (15M) Cosmetic Mod"

BACK TO EDDIT,,,,  I FORGET TO ASK.  I see people with arrows on the legon when they look at trafic activity.. how can i see that in my system as well?  Thank you...

Not having any trafic indication on this Flup. perhaps using the wrong puxxle peaces... after looking at the Video's and all the reading, I still think i should be able to use this.. but not sure...

sunnyhead

Hi guys, I have downloaded the latest NAM and support files. Tried to open the new traffic simulation configuration tool and it just doesn't opened up. So, I deleted and loaded again... still it doesn't open. instead it says, the software is not available and gave me options of using other programs. I am confused. I had loaded it before and it worked perfectly but after the new NAM there's some problem. please advice.
Regards.

jdenm8

MOREOPTIONS, you need to remove the ruralhighwaymod folder from your NAM folder! That's why you've got the old RHW textures and can't use the DRI.  %wrd
Hope this helps.

z

Quote from: sunnyhead on June 01, 2010, 09:09:20 PM
Hi guys, I have downloaded the latest NAM and support files. Tried to open the new traffic simulation configuration tool and it just doesn't opened up. So, I deleted and loaded again... still it doesn't open. instead it says, the software is not available and gave me options of using other programs. I am confused. I had loaded it before and it worked perfectly but after the new NAM there's some problem. please advice.

I assume that you have Java loaded on your machine.  Try opening a command window in the Traffic Simulator Configuration Tool directory and typing the command "java -jar TSCT.jar".  Please let us know if that works.  If it does, it means that there's a conflict with the .jar extension; the next release of the Traffic Simulator Configuration Tool has a fix for such conflicts, and it will be out soon.

sunnyhead

Hi Z, Will try that today. Thanks again. How soon will new traffic simulator be out? can't wait to see that.  ;)

z

It's not a new version of the traffic simulator; it's just a release of the Traffic Simulator Configuration Tool with some minor fixes.  There won't be any major new features in this release.  ()sad()

jdenm8

@ MOREOPTIONS' edit, you're missing your FLUP fillers. You must do more than just place the portals, you have to actually place the tunnels. The portals will not magically connect.

sunnyhead

Hi Z, I tried what you suggested and it didn't work. Then again, I am not so comp savvy guy so I might have made some mistake. if you can tell me step by step i would try again.
meanwhile, this is what I got when I tried to open traffic stimulator configuration tool after following the suggestion. 
I got a window saying "could not open TSCT.jar. the file is either not supported or damaged. It has either sent as email attachment or wasn't correctly decoded."
I don't know what it means, may be of some use for you.  &mmm

z

Do you have Java installed on your machine?  If you're not sure, go to www.java.com and follow the instructions for downloading.  If you already have the current version of Java, the site will tell you.

sunnyhead

Hi Z, Sorry, Java on my comp was not updated. did it yesterday and TSCT works perfectly and that made me feeling stupid.  :-[
thanks again for the advice.

Rady

Hi all,

since I actually do have problems with RHW bridges, I had a look at my NAM Additional Bridges directory and found the following in the readme:

Install additional bridges to this folder. Don't forget to update the "NetworkAddonMod_Bridges_Plugin_Controller.dat" after downloading new bridges.

Please, can someone explain to what I'm expected to do? I have downloaded some custom bridges already.

Thanks!
If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.

Visit my BAT thread: Slow BAT steady - Rady's first BAT attemtps