• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

compdude787

Quote from: Glazert on May 29, 2014, 05:39:07 AM
The roundabout in your picture goes the wrong way round for LHD, though the road is LHD.

I think you have to drag it out in the direction that cars will drive around it, correct?
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

Tarkus

Quote from: compdude787 on May 29, 2014, 10:31:04 AM
Quote from: Glazert on May 29, 2014, 05:39:07 AM
The roundabout in your picture goes the wrong way round for LHD, though the road is LHD.

I think you have to drag it out in the direction that cars will drive around it, correct?

Exactly.

-Alex

NCGAIO

" This is not a problem NAM, it is a problem Windows 8.1 ....."

Wow .... this is something worthy of Sartre ( " Hell is other people " )
Although in this case the problem can be of both and more the problem with drivers to Intel Integrated Graphics

Quote from: WolfGuy100 on May 26, 2014, 03:16:30 PM

I finds that ironic because my laptop runs on Windows 8.1 Pro and it never ever have crashed on me.

It is understandable your frustration as it has the game running without having large chunks of add-ons but really there are inherent problems w8.1 as you can see by reading the complaints here

"$Deal"$  - [size=78%]http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/search/search?SearchTerm=GAME%20PERFORMANCE&CurrentScope.ForumName=Windows&CurrentScope.Filter=windows8_1-gaming&page=1[/size]

As for your problems might know more here

http://community.simtropolis.com/topic/63070-reasons-for-game-problems-with-windows-81/

BlakeB

So I just started playing SC4 for the first time in years... I was just hoping the NAM would still be available somewhere, only to find out you guys are still hard at work on it after all this time. Pretty amazing!

If I'm correct, I understand now that buses in NAM are different from Maxis buses in two ways: they contribute to traffic and they're slower than cars. But there's two things I can't figure out:

1. Why would a sim ever take a bus instead of a car? It seems like it has a few disadvantages and no advantages now.
2. Why would I want to use buses in my cities? If they don't reduce traffic and are less efficient than cars, what's the point of them?

I'm totally illiterate when it comes to the mechanics of the game, so any explanation would be useful... Thanks!

danholo

Hi!

I'm having a problem transitioning from El-Rail over Avenue to El-Rail over Road. When I try to use the connector piece, and pull the track over, the connector piece turns into a GLR/Road piece.

gunshotproductions72

I've been trying to make a Cloverleaf all day and anything I try doesn't work at all. :( Can someone walk me through how to make a cloverleaf for RHW-6c? Or simply just something that will connect the highways together?
[img]http://i.imgur.com/zHZhEtv.png[img]
First time posting here no idea what I did wrong there^

woodb3kmaster

Quote from: gunshotproductions72 on June 11, 2014, 02:35:01 PM
First time posting here no idea what I did wrong there^
You forgot to put a forward slash at the start of the closing img tag, like so: [/img]
If you had included it, the image would have shown up. However, a moderator would likely have told you to convert your image to JPG format, since PNGs (like the one you tried to post) tend to be much bigger files, and therefore cause problems for users on slower Internet connections. Your image is also rather large, but that can easily be fixed in the opening img tag by adding "width=1024". If you had done that in addition to closing the tags properly, this is what you would have posted:

As for your problems in building a cloverleaf, I imagine that part of your issue is the fact that one of your RHWs is in a trench. If you eliminate the trench and elevate one of your RHWs, say to L1, you should have a much easier time building your cloverleaf. I also recommend leveling the ground where you want to build the cloverleaf to get it as flat as possible; the RHW puzzle pieces don't tolerate bumps in the ground very well. Good luck!

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

eggman121

Adding to woodb3kmaster,s comment you can make an L0 to L1 cloverleaf piece with the Quickchange 180 degree piece and the 90 degree L0 FLEXcurve as shown below:

You may want to put some collector lanes along the RHW 6C to make it more realistic.

Making a L0 to L1 cloverleaf piece is a real pain to make due to the above mentioned problems

Hope this helps

-eggman121

gunshotproductions72

Quote from: woodb3kmaster on June 11, 2014, 04:37:10 PM
You forgot to put a forward slash at the start of the closing img tag, like so: [/img]
If you had included it, the image would have shown up. However, a moderator would likely have told you to convert your image to JPG format, since PNGs (like the one you tried to post) tend to be much bigger files, and therefore cause problems for users on slower Internet connections. Your image is also rather large, but that can easily be fixed in the opening img tag by adding "width=1024". If you had done that in addition to closing the tags properly, this is what you would have posted:

As for your problems in building a cloverleaf, I imagine that part of your issue is the fact that one of your RHWs is in a trench. If you eliminate the trench and elevate one of your RHWs, say to L1, you should have a much easier time building your cloverleaf. I also recommend leveling the ground where you want to build the cloverleaf to get it as flat as possible; the RHW puzzle pieces don't tolerate bumps in the ground very well. Good luck!
Thanks for the explanation on the image! As for the trench I was trying to adapt this tutorial, http://youtu.be/gnvHn8m07dY to work with the RHW-6c. However I was unsure of which puzzle pieces to use.
Quote from: eggman121 on June 11, 2014, 05:26:05 PM
Adding to woodb3kmaster,s comment you can make an L0 to L1 cloverleaf piece with the Quickchange 180 degree piece and the 90 degree L0 FLEXcurve as shown below:

You may want to put some collector lanes along the RHW 6C to make it more realistic.

Making a L0 to L1 cloverleaf piece is a real pain to make due to the above mentioned problems

Hope this helps

-eggman121
Thanks for the reply I might use that, looks pretty nice!

gunshotproductions72

Quote from: eggman121 on June 11, 2014, 05:26:05 PM

Hope this helps

-eggman121
I was able to build it, and able to connect it to the lower highway but wasn't able to find a way to connect it to the upper one.

Indiana Joe

Use the "FLEX ramps."  Plop the appropriate one on the ground and drag your elevated RHW into the ends.  It should convert into an elevated ramp.

Tarkus

That has just given me an idea for a new QuickChange piece . . . phenomenal idea, eggman!  I had been planning on making a clover loop one, but didn't realize the pieces were already essentially there.

Quote from: danholo on June 08, 2014, 11:34:46 AM
Hi!

I'm having a problem transitioning from El-Rail over Avenue to El-Rail over Road. When I try to use the connector piece, and pull the track over, the connector piece turns into a GLR/Road piece.

Might have to do something with the start of the Draggable GLR-in-Road that's in place.  I'd have to check.  Should be able to use the old puzzle piece there, if nothing else works.

-Alex

GDO29Anagram

This is just me, but for consistency's sake, the FlexCurve should instead be some sort of INRUL-based 3×3 MIS curve, since the curved transition is 3×6. Then again, having the FlexCurve means you can put more stuff on top of it.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Kuewr665

Cloverleaf ramps tend to have tighter turns than other flyover ramps, so I guess that's why.

gunshotproductions72

I simply cannot get this to work. :angrymore: I feel like I'm missing puzzle pieces or something, or I'm just so stupid and can't find them. This is as far as I've gotten with the cloverleaf,

I can't find a 8c height transition, and I can't find a 8c Flex Ramp that converts to a 6c highway after the ramp. I want the 8c for the collector lanes that would be so cool to have.

Can someone PLEASE do one quarter of the thing and post a picture so I can copy it? Any tutorial I see is for the RHW-4 and I'm not fluent enough with this mod to convert it over. I'm almost to the point where I'm gonna go back to Maxis Highways. I know I'm asking alot but I'm just so confused! ()what()

Tarkus

The puzzle pieces that would be necessary for what you're building haven't been made.  The only elevated ramp interfaces that exist are the Type A1, B1, D1, and E1 ramps for the RHW-2 and RHW-4, and the Type D1 for the RHW-6S.  None of the other elevated networks have ramp interfaces.  You'll either need to use a different RHW network, or have the ramp connect at ground level, and briefly elevate one of the RHWs so it can pass over the other, beyond the point where the ramp merges in.

The reason for this is because the process of making ramp interfaces for the elevated networks is very difficult.  An accomplished NAMite can crank out a ground-level interface in a half hour, but it can take half a year to get its elevated counterpart, because it requires a very specialized technique to make them.  Whenever we've tried to recruit a standard building BATer to make one, they've tried to get too fancy with it, and made integration impossible. 

Unless, of course, you were fine with a elevated ramp interface without the barriers, which I suspect most people aren't.  The barriers are what make it so difficult.

-Alex

benchm

Hello Sc4 devotion! I'm trying to get NAM working on my macbook Air running 10.9.2. I wouldn't post here but I feel I'm excruciatingly close to getting NAM working. I've got the "Network Addon Mod" and "z___nam" folders in my plugins folder, with files copied in from this guide http://community.simtropolis.com/topic/62565-i-have-nam-32-installed-on-my-mac-with-the-aspyr-re-release-version-well-most-of-it/. I've got it so my game isn't stalling anymore, and I even have all the basic NAM stuff in my roads section (roundabouts etc). But when I click on them to build nothing is showing up.

Here are some screenshots of what I've got

Tarkus

We're not officially supporting the Mac port at present, but I can advise you some on the situation.  It sounds like you may not have a copy of NetworkAddonMod_Controller.dat in your plugins, which, if you were doing some sort off a manual install via Keka, is certainly possible.  Along with the Traffic Plugin, that's the most critical part of the NAM, and allows all custom items to show up in-game.  Without it, you'll get the icons, but none of the pieces will work.  The Controller file, at least since NAM 32, has been generated on-the-fly by our Controller Compiler program, which is coded in Java and is cross-platform.  You can find it in the $_OUTDIR/Controller Compiler folder within the .exe.

We are still hoping to produce a proper Mac release, but there are a number of complications that still stand in the way.  I did a write-up on my SimTarkus blog herememo of the NAM Team does have a cross-platform, Java-based DatPacking utility that has the potential to solve the number-of-files limit, of which a beta version is available, but it requires further testing before we even consider taking the next step toward a Mac release.

-Alex

gunshotproductions72

Quote from: Tarkus on June 12, 2014, 04:51:01 PM
The puzzle pieces that would be necessary for what you're building haven't been made.  The only elevated ramp interfaces that exist are the Type A1, B1, D1, and E1 ramps for the RHW-2 and RHW-4, and the Type D1 for the RHW-6S.  None of the other elevated networks have ramp interfaces.  You'll either need to use a different RHW network, or have the ramp connect at ground level, and briefly elevate one of the RHWs so it can pass over the other, beyond the point where the ramp merges in.

The reason for this is because the process of making ramp interfaces for the elevated networks is very difficult.  An accomplished NAMite can crank out a ground-level interface in a half hour, but it can take half a year to get its elevated counterpart, because it requires a very specialized technique to make them.  Whenever we've tried to recruit a standard building BATer to make one, they've tried to get too fancy with it, and made integration impossible. 

Unless, of course, you were fine with a elevated ramp interface without the barriers, which I suspect most people aren't.  The barriers are what make it so difficult.

-Alex
That is what I suspected thanks for the clarification.  :)

memo

Quote from: Tarkus on June 12, 2014, 05:24:37 PM
The Controller file, at least since NAM 32, has been generated on-the-fly by our Controller Compiler program, which is coded in Java and is cross-platform.  You can find it in the $_OUTDIR/Controller Compiler folder within the .exe.

@benchm:

Although the controller compiler is cross-platform, it can be difficult to get it to run on a Mac at this point because it expects some information from the installer. The instructions for running it without a prior run of the installer are currently missing. At any rate, if you have any problems with the compiler, you can still use one of the precompiled NAM controller files instead which can be found at

$_OUTDIR/Controller Compiler/Network Addon Mod/Controller/NetworkAddonMod_Controller_RIGHT_HAND_VERSION.dat

I also noticed in your picture that there are a couple more essential files missing in your plugins, most notably "NetworkAddonMod_BaseContent.dat", "NetworkAddonMod_IndividualNetworkRULs.dat", "NetworkAddonMod_Props.dat" etc. This is how my NAM folder looks like:

At this point, it is still much easier, and therefore preferable, to run the installer on a Windows machine and copy the files over.

Quote from: danholo on June 08, 2014, 11:34:46 AM
Hi!

I guess you used the Lightrail tool to connect the connector piece with the Avenue. Use the Road tool instead and it should work. You only need to use the Lightrail tool for connecting if you want to connect pure elevated rail, that is without a Road below. In any other case, its the Road tool.