• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Orleans County

Started by Ryan B., April 17, 2009, 08:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan B.

SoCal ain't got nothin' on this OC!

Introduction - April 18, 2009
Update #1A - The Lake Ontario State Parkway - April 18, 2009
Update #1B - The Lake Ontario State Parkway - April 25, 2009
Update #1C - Signing The Parkway - April 27, 2009

Orleans County is located on the southern shore of Lake Ontario, bordered by Niagara, Monroe, and Genesee counties on the west, east, and south.  As of the 2000 census, Orleans County had a population of 44,171.  The county has five major population centers:  the villages of Albion, Holley, Kendall, Lyndonville, and Medina.

The banner doesn't lie - Orleans County is my home.  I reside in the Village of Lyndonville.  I am a Class of 2005 graduate of the Lyndonville Central School District.

I can't lie, it's a wonderful feeling to be creating and extrapolating on my home turf.  Before I get started, I'd like to thank Troy / blade2k5 for putting together this great canvas for me to work on.  I also look forward to doodling around on the canvasses of Buffalo and Rochester.

This Orleans County will differ from the real-world Orleans County in several ways:

1)  A major increase in population.
2)  More major highways / freeways / expressways.
3)  Orleans County is Sabre & Tiger Country.

WARNING - This Mayor's Diary will contain massive doses of roadgeekery, in the form of intricate transportation setups, signs, and signals. 
You have been warned - now sit back and enjoy the ride!

canuck3360

Dear lord he's found an Avenue to get his inner Road geek out help us all

can't wait for pics ryno and I hope SoCal aint got nuttin on NY

Tarkus

Alright--more roadgeekery comes to SC4D!  I'm glad to see you back in the MDing realm, Ryan, with this new "OC".  I can't wait to see what all you have in store for us. :thumbsup:

-Alex

Sciurus

Wait to see this new city :thumbsup:

Guillaume :thumbsup:
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

Ryan B.

Rory / canuck3360:  Yes, God help y'all.  Southern California AND Orange County, NY don't have anything on this "OC"!

Alex / Tarkus:  I'm glad to be back.  SimCity withdrawal was absolutely killing me.

Guillaume / Sciurus:  Welcome to Orleans County!  Enjoy your stay - and you will soon see the place I call "home".   :thumbsup:

The Lake Ontario State Parkway, in real life, is a approximately 36-mile divided highway along the southern shore of Lake Ontario.  It starts just north of State Route 18 in Carlton, and ends at its intersection with Lake Avenue in the City of Rochester.  The Parkway connects several state parks, including the Lakeside Beach State Park; the Oak Orchard Marine State Park; Hamlin Beach State Park; and Braddock Bay State Park.

The Parkway was originally intended to stretch all the way from Niagara Falls to Rochester; however, it was only built to Lakeside Beach State Park.

Here are some pictures of signage along the Parkway:  http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/ny/losp/

That's the real world.  Now, as you may have guessed, the Parkway figures an important role in my Orleans County.  It will stretch across the entire county, to Niagara Falls in the west, and Rochester / Nieuw Nederland in the east.

Parkway Control Cities (from west to east):

Lyndonville
Rochester | Nieuw Nederland

From east to west:

Lyndonville
Niagara Falls

Highway interchanges may (or may not) feature the following control cities:

Albion, Kendall, Holley, Batavia, Pembroke, Medina

Stay Tuned for Part 2 - In-Game With the Parkway!

Stay Tuned!

Pat

Hey Ryan glad to see OC back and running down the highway!!!  ;) :D  Bad pun I know hehehee... Still I cant wait to see more.....

Pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

sebes

Hey Ryan - you started all over... Do I have to as well now???  :P

I am glad that the roadgeekery will continue...sitting back and enjoying the ride, and staying on board for update 2!

It's great to see the Ontariomeer Snelweg getting a makeover. Indeed, an important route from Rhenen to Niagara Vallen haha. On the other side of the border the routenumber is A96 so when getting close to the OC-NN border you know how to renumber the sign...
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

threestooges

As someone who has seen a few previews and what not, I have to say I'm glad you're back at this. Looking forward to seeing what you'll come up with.
-Matt

Haljackey

Awesome!  Can't wait for your first update!   &apls

metarvo

Yes, a Ryan MD.  I'm ready for this.  Bring on the roadgeekery!  ;D
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

deathtopumpkins

Woohoo, wb to MD-ing Ryan!

Looking forward to the roadgeekery and, as always, fantastic signage.  ;D
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Ryan B.

Pat:  We're eastbound & down, 18-wheeler rollin' - we're gonna do what they say can't be done . . . .

Sebes:  I'm sure many would be saddened if you did have to start over.  I'm very glad you don't have to.  I will definitely have signs posted regarding the route number change.

Matt / threestooges:  I'm glad to be back, Matt.  Thanks for reading, my friend.

Haljackey:  Wait no longer.  Geronimo - look out below!

metarvo:  You may think you're ready.  I don't know if you can handle this.  :P

deathtopumpkins:  Thank you!

Welcome back to Orleans County!  Last time, we took an initial look at the Lake Ontario State Parkway, which connects several state parks along the southern shore of Lake Ontario between Buffalo and Rochester.  I can tell you that construction has commenced in the northwest corner of the county, near Golden Hill State Park.  Most of the mainlanes of both the Parkway and State Highway 63 have been completed.

Two interchanges are also substantially completed:  the interchange between the Parkway and the western entrance to Golden Hill State Park, and the interchange between the Parkway and SH 63.

Pictures look eastbound, starting at the west and continuing east.

The first exit in Orleans County.  Looking north (to the left) will be Golden Hill State Park.

The Parkway's interchange with SH 63.  The interchange is substantially completed, save for the Parkway's mainlanes.  They will pass underneath the other two ramps.

That'll do it for this installment of Orleans County.  Thanks for reading, and see you next time!

dedgren

Great-looking interchanges, Ryan.  You play the RHW like a well-tuned piano.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Pat

Ryan stunning work here and btw thanks alot I got east bound and down now stuck in my head lol..............

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

deathtopumpkins

Nice interchanges Ryan!

But how you gonna go about taking the State Parkway mainline under those ramps? Other than that little problem, that is one fantastic interchange!
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

metarvo

Those interchanges are sweet, Ryan!  :thumbsup:  Orleans County must be one of those places that is in a perpetual construction zone.  Of course, this is very true to RL, where I have seen some areas that always seem to have orange barrels everywhere.  Keep up the good work!
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Haljackey

Awesome job Ryan!  I really like the Parclo B-4 interchange you made in the first photo.

Do I spot a smooth MIS curve in the lower right of the photo?  You... cheater!   :P

The three-way interchange is looking great too.

darraghf

Well done. Nice interchanges. Did you make the Mis 90 degree curve youself?
Darraghf on SC4D, Rainyday on ST, Darraghflah on Simpeg

Tarkus

Hehe . . . I see you're taking advantage of certain . . . features.   :D  You've put them to most excellent use, too!  Those interchanges look fantastic . . . that Parclo is just brilliant.

-Alex

Ryan B.

David / dedgren:  I'm no Mozart, but I do feel a connection.   :P  Thank you for reading!

PatSmokey & The Bandit is one of my favorite movies of all time.  I apologize for sticking that in your head, but it is catchy.

deathtopumpkins:  You'll see . . . . later.

metarvo:  I really should BAT some construction barriers and such.  Thanks for the idea!   :thumbsup:

Haljackey:  All's fair in fun and games.

darraghf:  Thank you!  No, I didn't make it myself.  It's coming very soon, though.

Alex / Tarkus:  That I am.  I'm just hoping the Sims get the hint that they can't turn left off those parclo ramps.  If not, I guess I'll just throw some signs on.  ;)

When we last left off, I was almost finished constructing the Lake Ontario State Parkway's first two interchanges.  We're going to take a look at what NYSDOT has accomplished as far as getting signage up goes.  We'll start looking eastbound on the Parkway as it approaches its interchange with SH 63.

All hazardous cargo moving eastbound must detour around the central Lyndonville population area.

Approach sign to the interchange.  SH 63 will take you to the airport, tentatively named "Perreault International".

Now at the Parkway / 63 interchange.  Sorry for the pause border - I still have yet to re-download that remover jiggamathinger.

Moving over to SH 63 . . .

Keeping hazardous cargo away from the Lyndonville metro!

Approach to the split.

Welcome to Splitsville, population us.  Once again, apologies for the pause border.

That's it for now.  More signage coming soon!

You can also check out Orleans County over on Simtropolis, in the brand new CJ section!

Thanks for reading, and we'll see you next time!