• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Orleans County

Started by Ryan B., April 17, 2009, 08:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calibanX

Great news on your technical glitch. I'm glad you've recovered. You are a master with the MIS. This is the real OC.

Geoff
Where City and Country Flow Together

ashton23

evertonforever1

oH MAN  i feel your pain... I had a whole nation put together in detail with three cities when my Hard Drive failed!!!

But im reciving my new CPU in the coming days.  So im starting another Reigion and MD.

Ryan B.

Project Lazarus

That's right, folks - I'm bringing this back from the dead.  Here's a couple teasers from the new Lake Ontario State Parkway:

SH 63 at Yates Center Road (Exit 1):

Lake Ontario State Parkway at SH 63 (Exit 8):

Lake Ontario State Parkway at Murdock Road (Exit 7):

Lake Ontario State Parkway at Marshall Road (Exit 9):

You may notice below that the Parkway's exits are numbered now.  I took a look at Google Maps and here's where I mapped out the exits, from west to east:

Exit 1:  Robert Moses State Parkway / NY 18
Exit 2:  Ransomville Road
Exit 3:  NY 425 / Wilson
Exit 4:  NY 78 (Transit Road) / Olcott Beach & Lockport
Exit 5:  NY 148 / Barker
Exit 6:  NY 269 / County Line Road
Exit 7:  Murdock Road, Lake Shore Road
Exit 8:  SH 63 / Medina & Pembroke
Exit 9:  Marshall Road, Lake Shore Road
...and on from there.

Of course, what would Orleans County be without signs?

More to come soon!

rooker1

Good to have you back Ryan.

Robin
Call me Robin, please.

gottago

Really nice signs and interchanges (I assume this MD is all about interchanges), but the second one you posted, Marshall Road--wouldn't the secondary road be raised over the interstate, not vice-versa? That looks awfully expensive to build that way.

Haljackey

Shame on you, using new RHW pieces in your MD before they're out...   :P

Ah well, that's a nice application of them!  Great interchanges and signs!

Tarkus

Ryan, it's fantastic to see "The OC" back in action here.  Looks like you're having fun with Maarten's new splitters there, and that signage is just absolutely crisp-looking.

Welcome back!

-Alex

dsrwhat316

Hmmm... judging by the highway signs you're using, I assume you are from upstate New York, no? Did my fair share of driving up there (I'm from the Jersey Shore  ;))

Your interchanges with the RHW are excellent; I never did get the hand of using them yet. It'll be interesting to see development surrounding these highways soon!

~ Dan
Custom Lotting at its Finest:

Last updated: 2/9- I'm Back! +  A Teaser (of course...)

ecoba

Nice to see a revival here, Ryan. I've always been a fan of OC, but never was around to comment before.

Ethan

Nexis4Jersey

welcome back , great update i love the signs :)

metarvo

I'm glad to see that OC is up and running again, Ryan.  ;D  I can't wait to see what kind of new RHW tools you use, and I've already seen some in this update.  Is that an RHW-8 neighbor connection?
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Ryan B.

Replies & Comments

Robin (rooker1)
:  Thank you, my friend!  I apologize for making a MD mod's nightmare, what with drifting in and out and all.  I hope this will be the end of the troubles.

gottago:  Expensive?  Hah . . . not when you have a certain DLL file in your Plugins folder.  ;)  I was really just looking to try out another version of a high-capacity half cloverleaf interchange.

Haljackey:  Someone's got to, right?  :P  Thanks for stopping by!

Alex (Tarkus):  Thanks!  It's good to be back, and there's always more where that came from.

dsrwhat316:  Yup, that's exactly right.  Upstate NY between Buffalo & Rochester is my home roost - and, ironically, the location of this MD.  $%#Ninj2

Ethan (ecoba):  Welcome to Orleans County!  I'm glad you like what you see - hopefully future updates keep you coming back!

Corey (Nexis4Jersey):  Thanks!

metarvo:  That RHW-8 connection isn't functional . . . yet.

Update | Saturday, February 6, 2010

I've been trying to become a better SimCity player.  I've come to realize that there's more to making a great city, region, or MD than just highways, interchanges, signs, and grids.  So, here's what I've been trying out the past week:

An overview of the Golden Hill area.

This is what I've been playing around with - new median aesthetics, complete with gravel U-turn area.

Same as above, just on the north side of the Exit 7 westbound lanes.

And last but not least - dual hike & bike trails on either side of the "main drag", Lake Shore Road.

I hope this update finds everyone in good health and spirits, and best wishes to those on the Atlantic Seaboard, who are weathering a very nsaty winter storm right now.

threestooges

Looking good Ryan. The medians are nice and the gravel U-turn area is a nice touch. Perhaps round off the edges of it a bit more (grass would likely grow in on the sides except where cars turn if that makes any sense), but aside from that, great detail, it's one of those things you don't think of until you see it once, then you realize all the other times you've seen them in real life. With such a well manicured median it looks like the area is set to become one of those rapidly expanding suburb areas. Nice work.
-Matt

nedalezz

Nice little update there, your work with the RHW is stunning. When will we actually see some development shots? :)

ecoba

Nice update, Ryan.

I think that your new usage of the RRP flora is really amazing, and that median turnaround is really realistic. Around here, they put them on curves, and cops hide where you can't see them.

Anyway, the bike and hike trails are also a really nice touch, are there any wooded areas in the area, it would be nice to run a trail through there.

Ethan

Ryan B.

Replies

Matt / threestooges:  Thank you for the kind words, Matt - and for all your support and input that you've given me so far.

Ethan / ecoba:  That's exactly what cops use them for here - in fact, that's how I got my first (and only) speeding ticket.

. . . on which road? . . . None other but the Lake Ontario State Parkway . . .

Thank you for the comments you've left - this is my first time really working with Mayor Mode ploppables, and I'm glad it's coming out this way.

nedalezz:  Thank you!  Funny you should ask, because the time is now!

. . . after you answer this question, of course . . .

NYSDOT is ready to start hanging BGSes (Big Green Signs) on the major roads.  I have decided to leave it up to you, the readers of Orleans County, to choose which font I should use on the signs.

You have two options:  1)  "Highway Gothic"; or 2) "Clearview".

"Highway Gothic" is on the left below; "Clearview" on the right.

These images are taken from JN Winkler's sign illustrations in this thread:  http://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=575.450
All credit for images belong to him.

Another option is using one font's letters, and another's numbers (example:  Clearview letters with Highway Gothic numbers).

I'll give y'all until Saturday, February 20 to weigh in.  I'm really looking forward to hearing your opinions.

Development Update Coming Later Tonight!

Blue Lightning

*Drags self into CJ*

Geeze I've missed quite the bit. Your signs look plainly awesome btw :thumbsup:

As for the font, I'd go with ClearView.
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

deathtopumpkins

Being a roadgeek, you should know what I'd choose... ;) Highway Gothic, of course. And probably a Series E(M) variant of that.

Nice last update too, btw. I like the median turnaround... a very nice touch.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Tarkus

Clearview still looks kinda weird to me, so I'd go for good ol' Highway Gothic.  Great stuff here as usual--I'm glad to see you're having fun with the TuLEPs! :thumbsup:

-Alex