• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Different Type of Intersection...

Started by thundercrack83, July 11, 2007, 02:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thundercrack83

I was driving around where I live the other day and came across an intersection that I've seen in different places and wondered if they were possible to replicate in SC4. I drew a quick picture of it just to give an idea, please disregard the terrible quality:

Basically, it would be connecting two regular "double yellow line" roads to each other in a Y-type intersection. Does this make sense, and if so, is it possible...or worth doing?

Gaston

Couldn't you use an one way road to connect the two roads like a ramp?
I don't know if it would work connecting at the required angle.

---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

Shadow Assassin

It is indeed possible to do, but it's the actual implementation that's the hard bit.

It's a great idea, though.

(and did you use a whiteboard marker to draw that? :P)
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

thundercrack83

Gaston: I think it would be possible with the avenues, but I haven't tried it, so don't quote me on that one. The real-life one that I am basing it off is just two regular two-lane roads.

SA: Close! I used a Sharpie marker.

BigSlark

If you could convince Tarkus that RHW-2 ramps are also needed it would be very, very possible. ;)

thundercrack83

Quote from: BigSlark on July 11, 2007, 09:12:06 PM
If you could convince Tarkus that RHW-2 ramps are also needed it would be very, very possible. ;)

That's true, I bet something like that would work. When I pictured it in my head, I thought of the single lanes in the avenue Y-stack intersections from the NAM, but I guess they are kind of the same thing anyway.

Haljackey

You mean something like this? 

To make this, just download the latest version of the NAM, and be creative!

jplumbley

@Thundercrack   Very good idea... I have wanted to have something like this aswell.  In fact I think I have a way to do this, but it would only be a 2x2 tile intesection. 

If someone wants to make a set of textures for this please send me a PM and I can see if I can get it to work.  I did get the Lakeyboy Slip Lanes working and they will be in the next NAM.

The following picture shows a diagonal/ortho road T-Intersection, with a one way road to the right creating a "right turn lane".  If someone can make a 4 textures (one for each piece of the 2x2 intersection) I can RUL it out and get it to work.

"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

jeronij

I think the idea is great, however, I would not have to be the one who has to cross to the left, when I come from the top right in the right lane.... the word that comes to my mind for that area of the crossing is ... cruel.... :D :D !!!

Seriously, if no one takes the task for these textures, I could have a look to that next week.
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

thundercrack83

I'm glad to see that you guys have shown interest and think this is a good idea! I was worried...

jplumbley: That's pretty much the idea, only what you have as a one-way (from the straight road to the diagonal) would be a two-way because the traffic traveling east (from the right to left on your picture) would have a one-way merge lane to get to the diagonal road. It's hard to explain, but if you look at the drawing I made and follow the arrows, it's a lot easier to see.

nerdly_dood

There are lots of intersections like this where I live.

Also, this is exactly like the SC3K diagonal/orthagonal road intersection.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

Shadow Assassin

Quote from: Haljackey on July 12, 2007, 10:19:02 PM
You mean something like this? 

*snip*

To make this, just download the latest version of the NAM, and be creative!

It's for roads, and well, that can't be done with roads. :P But it'd be great to  see done as a 2 laned intersection. Should be a piece of cake for our RULing pros, seeing as they're tackling much more complicated stuff right now. :P
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Pat

Hey dustin thats a neat idea btw and you really are following in davids footsteps arent you lol

btw Jp did you delete your image by a chance cause it has the Imageshack famouse removed mark

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

jplumbley

@Pat  No, I did not delete my image.  They seemed to have moved my account or something, because my registration link doesnt work any more.  Any thoughts?
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

rickmastfan67

Quote from: jplumbley on August 27, 2007, 03:05:39 AM
@Pat  No, I did not delete my image.  They seemed to have moved my account or something, because my registration link doesnt work any more.  Any thoughts?

You could try to request a lost password/user id to see if you can get back into it.
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

Crissa

This is a fairly common intersection - offramp from nornal street - in California.  We have them on bridges and such.  Could you just use an offramp puzzle piece to ground highway and 'fool' it into working?

Crissa

Oh, hey!  Here's another type of intersection that I've always wanted in SimCity:

Ostensibly it's an avenue/avenue intersection (usually under) a highway, but the intersecting avenue is split by the highway.  This is used for heavy offramps hitting a thoroughfare where there wasn't room - or where two intersections would be less efficient. (Drivers seem to hate them, though).

This is as close as I could get in SimCity with my limited knowledge of the tools:

As you can see, it takes up a much larger footprint, and doesn't actually allow full access... But neither does the original.  There's one just to the north of there at 99th street and then more on Route 500, to the south and east.  They're surprisingly efficient intersections.

-Crissa

Envirotechture

That is a Single Point Urban Interchange. It is starting to be used more commonly now.
Here is the wikipedia article on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-point_urban_interchange

Pat

WOW that would be a massive to hit SC4 there Envirotechture but i like the idea on it...

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Starmanw402007

I agree with pat that would be an awesome addition to SC4 &apls

Your Friend;
Mayor Of Steven's Point & Maxistion
(Proud To Be Cities Of Sim Nation!)
Your Friend;
Mayor Of Steven's Point & Maxiston
(Proud To Be Cities Of Sim Nation!)