• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allantan1116

Quote from: j-dub on August 15, 2010, 09:29:52 AM
Citybuilder, there is somewhat of a difference to what you are saying to alantan1116. The one point I must stress is how the first NWM was released with a conjoined 2-tile setup for the NWM MAVE, compared to the RHW 4. Thats probably what Allan meant by separately.

RHW 4 is designed that while you can build directly next to each other, you are not required to build them conjoined, where as the MAVE, they are plopped down 2 tile wide conjoined already, so currently it is a lot harder to build those at further widths apart, because you have to spend extra time to do a work around, sometimes people don't want to use the OWR portions of the NWM, they just want to see stuff split up MAVE style; not to mention the MAVE is capable of asymmetrical setups people like to do, its just momentarily because of the conjoined two tile setup, it takes longer to get it done.

The old, original RHW 4 on the ANT was a lot harder to build split up wider, those you had to build side by side at first, and take extra steps to widen the width out, which is kind of what I referring to with some portions of the NWM now, the only difference is the puzzle piece starts it, but the extra steps to split stuff up MAVE with the first release are still there.

Since the RHW 4 setup was eventually changed and made easier to build further apart, the NWM is a lot younger born then the RHW project is, and still has room to grow.
Thanks a lot! That' s what I wanted to know.
:thumbsup:

But the cars will return on the OWR-4 and 5, I drew the paths and discovered that there is a two-way path in the middle of the start piece.
How can we avoid this? It' s terrible when the cars drive everywhere...
:'(

jdenm8

Simple, demolish the starter piece.  :thumbsup:
They're not really designed to be kept in the continuous flow of traffic and can hinder placement of new puzzle pieces (especially on the RHW).
However, the driving the wrong way thing was a bug in NWM v1. I do not know if the bug was fixed in this release or if it is a quirk in OWR networks.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

samerton

Quote from: Tarkus on August 15, 2010, 06:46:11 PM
European NWM users, the moment you have been waiting for has arrived.  mrtnrln and riiga have finished the Euro TRM for NWM and TuLEPs, and it is now up on the STEX! :thumbsup:

-Alex

Wow... everything's coming out at once!! This is brilliant!! Thanks to the NAM team and Maarten and Riiga and all of the testers!!

Tarkus

Regarding allantan1116's question about splitting the dual-tile network starters, unfortunately, due to how they are designed, that isn't possible.  The dual-tile network starters basically consist of a single-tile NWM network starter placed next to a "dummy starter" which specifies the number of lanes to be added to the network.  It was designed this way in large part to facilitate the future development of asymmetrical NWM networks.

As far as the OWR-4/5 crossover wrong-way stuff, unfortunately, the paths have to be both ways in order to facilitate switching between the two tiles, but because the paths are not on a straight vertical/horizontal trajectory, the game's .exe-controlled tidal flow system for the OWR network does not eliminate the unnecessary ones.  I've done considerable amount of testing with it, both before and after release, and I have had absolutely zero luck in counteracting it so far, unfortunately.

-Alex

Monorail Master

I'm just wondering, can there be a OWR-4 and OWR-5 split into 2 OWR-2? I've found places inwhich that would be very useful. Such as a split from OWR-4 to OWR-2 going one way, and the other OWR-2 with a sudden transition into ERHW-4.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination

Kitsune

Quote from: Tarkus on August 15, 2010, 06:46:11 PM
European NWM users, the moment you have been waiting for has arrived.  mrtnrln and riiga have finished the Euro TRM for NWM and TuLEPs, and it is now up on the STEX! :thumbsup:

-Alex

is there a reason why these are never available on the lex?
~ NAM Team Member

z

I just noticed that the introductory message has been updated to show actual capacities for the NAM Unified Traffic Simulator.  All of the OWR capacities need to be increased by 50% to account for the 50% increase in the basic OWR capacity in the traffic simulator last fall.

Tarkus

Quote from: z on August 17, 2010, 08:21:12 AM
I just noticed that the introductory message has been updated to show actual capacities for the NAM Unified Traffic Simulator.  All of the OWR capacities need to be increased by 50% to account for the 50% increase in the basic OWR capacity in the traffic simulator last fall.

Thanks for catching me!  I had actually been going off the table here in the NAM Unified Traffic Simulator thread, which still has the lower OWR capacities.

-Alex

z

Oops!  I thought I had updated those, and apparently I had - but only for the Classic version of the simulator.  :-[  It's all fixed now.

jcmpaz

For reason I can plop the start piece. I got this error: Intersection Placement String Missing. Can somebody help me please? &ops

Tarkus

Quote from: jcmpaz on August 17, 2010, 10:18:12 PM
For reason I can plop the start piece. I got this error: Intersection Placement String Missing. Can somebody help me please? &ops

You've got an outdated NAM Controller file sitting in your Plugins somewhere that's preventing the NWM from working properly--basically, with respect to the NWM.  Locate it, remove it and you should be fine.  The root cause of that and the infamous "Red Arrow Bug" are the same, so NAM FAQ #1 may help you.

-Alex

allantan1116

Quote from: Tarkus on August 16, 2010, 10:59:53 AM
Regarding allantan1116's question about splitting the dual-tile network starters, unfortunately, due to how they are designed, that isn't possible.  The dual-tile network starters basically consist of a single-tile NWM network starter placed next to a "dummy starter" which specifies the number of lanes to be added to the network.  It was designed this way in large part to facilitate the future development of asymmetrical NWM networks.

As far as the OWR-4/5 crossover wrong-way stuff, unfortunately, the paths have to be both ways in order to facilitate switching between the two tiles, but because the paths are not on a straight vertical/horizontal trajectory, the game's .exe-controlled tidal flow system for the OWR network does not eliminate the unnecessary ones.  I've done considerable amount of testing with it, both before and after release, and I have had absolutely zero luck in counteracting it so far, unfortunately.

-Alex
Thanks a lot &apls
So I should learn to ignore the path problem. ;)

jcmpaz

Quote from: Tarkus on August 17, 2010, 11:10:21 PM
You've got an outdated NAM Controller file sitting in your Plugins somewhere that's preventing the NWM from working properly--basically, with respect to the NWM.  Locate it, remove it and you should be fine.  The root cause of that and the infamous "Red Arrow Bug" are the same, so NAM FAQ #1 may help you.

-Alex

Thank you very much. I solved my problem with ypur help

jcmpaz

Quote from: Tarkus on August 17, 2010, 11:10:21 PM

-Alex
Thank You very much. I solved my problem

yddot

Does the new version allow for any way to disable 'wealthification' of network transition pieces?

Tarkus

Quote from: yddot on August 18, 2010, 03:48:23 PM
Does the new version allow for any way to disable 'wealthification' of network transition pieces?

Currently, no.  I haven't forgotten about it, though. ;)

-Alex

Tarkus

And in other news, last night, by making some minute modifications to the TLA-3 and TLA-5 paths, I was able to make those networks work properly with the "Snap To Roads" mode in U-Drive-It mode.  The modifications will be included in the next update to the NWM.

-Alex