• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ivo_su

Alex can I ask you to show us more pictures of three tiles networks. For example many want to see how to cross two AVE-8. Otherwise, the large junction is amazing. I wonder whether the  AVE-6 and AVE-8 will have extra left turn lane.

- Ivaylo

Ramona Brie

Quote from: ivo_su on January 16, 2011, 11:31:32 AM
Alex can I ask you to show us more pictures of three tiles networks. For example many want to see how to cross two AVE-8. Otherwise, the large junction is amazing. I wonder whether the  AVE-6 and AVE-8 will have extra left turn lane.

- Ivaylo

I remember Alex saying that textures were ready for triple-tile-road TuLEPs.

MandelSoft

Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Ramona Brie

QuoteI do have some textures ready for the triple-tile network TuLEPs, but that's as far as they've gotten right now--there will be at least a few by the time NWM 2.0 is ready for public release.  In general, though, much of the TuLEPs stuff is, on the backburner for the time being.  The menu stuff for the Advanced TuLEPs still needs to be figured out, and I have my hands in just about every other transit modding project (even resuscitating the RAM, HSR, SPM and SAM) in addition to what will be a heavy dose of RL over the next month.

-Alex

- Reply #429 to the TuLEPs thread, emphasis mine

gooper1

Can you turn the ARD-3's middle lane into a reversible lane? That would be more realistic in urban areas (but not in rural areas, as an ARD-3 is essentially a 2+1 road (though it would be nice if you make a transition that switches the middle lane's direction), and therefore you should keep the ARD-3 and add in a reversible lane road (I'll call it RLR-3).).

Also, since 1 tile is 16x16 metres, it is possible to make a 5-lane road in one tile (it's possible IRL), but it wouldn't look that good in SC4...

Nice job with the NWM.  &apls
-Gooper1
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination

Bunny is a friend of weasels. So should you. GO WEASELS GO!

Meastro444

ARD-3 can't be modded with a reversable lane. SC4 doesn't allow it.

5-laned roads are not possible for an ingame perspective. 3, maybe 4 is the max.
Friend of the Certified Drama Queen :)

zakuten

Actually, isn't the Tram-In/On-Road (I never can remember which) a 4-lane-one-tile setup? I've noted cars driving in the tram lanes before, so perhaps if a 4-lane-Road was ever needed that could serve for a base.

Also, one thing I'd like to see in the future is the return of crosswalks to TuLEP intersections, at least visually.
Visit my MD Respublikii Anaksii , or the reboot CJ "Kara`i Shores" since the region wiped, at http://www.simtropolis.com/cityjournals/?p=toc&id=919 !
All comments are welcome! (Hopefully someday I can re-splice 'em together, but we'll see)

Nego

Well a 4 Lane single tile network is in development called the NMAVE-4 (Narrow Medianless Avenue, 4 Lanes). Check it out here! (scroll down to see the pictures)

zakuten

Visit my MD Respublikii Anaksii , or the reboot CJ "Kara`i Shores" since the region wiped, at http://www.simtropolis.com/cityjournals/?p=toc&id=919 !
All comments are welcome! (Hopefully someday I can re-splice 'em together, but we'll see)

Ramona Brie

Quote from: gooper1 on January 23, 2011, 09:11:43 AM
Can you turn the ARD-3's middle lane into a reversible lane? That would be more realistic in urban areas (but not in rural areas, as an ARD-3 is essentially a 2+1 road (though it would be nice if you make a transition that switches the middle lane's direction), and therefore you should keep the ARD-3 and add in a reversible lane road (I'll call it RLR-3).).

Also, since 1 tile is 16x16 metres, it is possible to make a 5-lane road in one tile (it's possible IRL), but it wouldn't look that good in SC4...

Nice job with the NWM.  &apls
-Gooper1

There IS an ARD-3 Lane Shift piece to do just that...

GDO29Anagram

Can you turn the ARD-3's middle lane into a reversible lane?

There was a discussion on the idea of reversible lanes several pages back here.

Quote from: Tarkus on July 30, 2010, 03:50:26 PM
Interesting . . . we had actually considered the idea of reversible lanes at one point for the NWM . . . a "REV-3", but on a single-tile setup, which there wasn't really any way to get quite right.  I knew the tidal flow could allow something like this from jplumbley's experiments back in 2006 when we were starting the project . . . I'm curious to mess around with this a little more with respect to reversible lane functionality to see how feasible a 2-tiler would be.  The one potential issue I see with the current situation is that the way the OWR-5s are pathed, they'll still technically have traffic in both directions in the middle, and I don't know if there's really a way around doing something like that.

It wouldn't work, since individual paths cannot be reversed at regular intervals. The closest thing to making such a network functional is to have two paths in the middle lane, each in two different directions. The only side effect would be having cars going in two different directions in the middle lane.

-----

I believe the absolute limit is four lanes per tile. You need room for sidewalks.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

gooper1

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on January 23, 2011, 12:33:47 PM
There was a discussion on the idea of reversible lanes several pages back here.

It wouldn't work, since individual paths cannot be reversed at regular intervals. The closest thing to making such a network functional is to have two paths in the middle lane, each in two different directions. The only side effect would be having cars going in two different directions in the middle lane.

-----
I believe the absolute limit is four lanes per tile. You need room for sidewalks.

I was just saying it is possible IRL, and by the way, there is room for one 1m-wide sidewalk (one side only) assuming each lane is 3m wide.
(\__/)

j-dub

About that, gooper1 have you by chance tried the Tram in Road network? That is about the same size as the NWM's NMave, which will also contain four lanes of traffic on one tile, and will have sidewalks on each side.

Can't get over the switched lane thing. Its too bad though, that there was not even a way to use stop points, and a traffic light system to handle this reverse lane thing, so its like one intersection tile, after another. I mean, I seriously wondered when I saw that video of the freeway experts having a Maxis signal controlled merge of two lanes merging to one in SC4, but I guess that is not the same like reversing lines of travel.

gooper1

Seriously, I never said that there should be a 5-lane road in SC4, I just said that you can fit 5 lanes of traffis and one sidewalk in 16 metres IN REAL LIFE! (It would look bad in SC4 and it is hard to model, thereby making 5-laned roads in 1 tile nearly impossible.)
(\__/)

deathtopumpkins

Not to beat an already dead horse, but I don't believe you can. I just measured a local 5-lane road in google maps, and got that it is 20.5m wide, not including sidewalks. And it's not particularly wide...
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

j-dub

Oh, you said 5 tiles, yeah, that really is a no-no, it looked almost possible when you look at the original RTL width, but that was just fixed to not be so tight, and with semi trucks, that is way too tight, but considering 4 lanes is the max fit on a single tile, 5 lanes you know no. I think we do have common ground about the 16 too narrow thing though. There are unsafe roads in my state that they wanted to sqeeze capacity in on this one road that used to be 3 lanes, but you can not really safely drive side-by-side now with how people behave these days. I mean, what was intended to be parking bays, is not really good for travel, just try driving down the old Lincoln Highway by the Fox River Valley between I-88 and IL-38.

strucka

Well European roads are ussally made with 3,5m lanes that's for roads, motorways, highways, whatever. That means, 17,5metres for 5 lanes. But nothing else.

gooper1

If you want to see 5 lanes in one tile in SC4, look at the NAM partial-Y Maxis highway interchange. At the part where the 2 highways merge, you will see 10 lanes in 2 tiles!  :P

Are MAVE-6 and ARD-3 bridges possible? (Those are the only two non-OWR networks that add additional lanes of travel (not left-turn lanes like a TLA-3 or a TLA-5))
Also a MAVE-6>dual OWR-3 transition?
(\__/)

GDO29Anagram

(Looks at the Par-Y interchange) Ooh... You're right... Actually, a sliver of the outer lane goes into the next tile. Five car paths per tile is just pushing it, even for Maxis Highways.

Unfortunately, there are no NWM bridges as of yet, let alone a transition like the one you described.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

j-dub

There is nothing secret about this picture and nothing new,

This particullar bridge, you may have even built before NWM came out. In this situation, maybe its a sign of hope, because this is a Maxis bridge, and it almost allowed me to attach the road to it. I guess it could of been a fluke with the landscape that the avenue did not come out, but when I had dragged the bridge across, it allowed me to back up, and not extend the avenue out of it, that I was tempted to touch the Mave to it. If such a bridge was duplicated so the existing avenue bridge is untouched, the duplication would just need the ends of that center triangle cut off to match the Mave 4. I think chopping a road/ave bridge is possible because: http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/2351/failedbridgeoverbridge.jpg