• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nego

@gooper1/GDO29Anagram: There were actually two bridges made for the NWM, both being for the MAVE-2 Edit: and TLA-3. They were made and posted by BlueLightning:
Though they have not been released to the public in any shape, way, or form.

GDO29Anagram

@Nego: I remember that one, but that one was a texture replacement on the RHW bridges. Designed for both TLA-3 and AVE-2.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

j-dub

The difference is though, those 3 lanes are still just one-tile wide. Where as, it can automatically be assumed -if- 2 tile conjoined double NWM bridges are given priority, that they would have to be based differently then two roads side by side.

jdenm8

Well, they'd probably be based on the Avenue network, like the Dual-Tile RHW bridges are based on GMHY.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Tarkus

Quote from: jdenm8 on January 27, 2011, 03:08:54 PM
Well, they'd probably be based on the Avenue network, like the Dual-Tile RHW bridges are based on GMHY.

Exactly.  And the triple-tilers can be made the same way as the RHW-6C bridge that SA showed in the RHW thread the other day.

-Alex

gooper1

Seriously, what's the point of a TLA-3 of AVE-2 bridge? As I said earlier, they don't add a full-fledged lane of traffic (not a left turn lane) to the existing 2-lane road (unlike the ARD-3 and MAVE-6, both of which add one or more full-fledged lanes to a road or avenue/MAVE-4), therefore buiding a bridge for those networks is rather useless.

I will be happy if you can build an ARD-3 bridge and a MAVE-6 bridge.
-Gooper1
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination

Bunny is a friend of weasels. So should you. GO WEASELS GO!

noahclem

NWM bridges would definitely be nice to have around! MAVE-6 and OWR-3 would be particularly handy  ::)  It'd also be nice to have avenue bridges that are MAVE-4 in the middle but AVE at the ends. Built in left-turn lanes on the ends would be an awesome option as well but not sure if that's possible...

On a similar note, has anyone considered NMAVE-4 viaducts? NMAVE-4 doesn't have a lot of appeal to me personally because of its lane widths (though it's always nice to have extra options) but wouldn't it be nice to have an elevated version with slight overhangs to allow standard lane widths? Ideally such a set would include transitions from AVE-4/TLA-5 (ground level) to ENMAVE-4. As with any elevated network it would be great to have 7,5m height instead of or in addition to 15m.  :D MAVE-6 & OWR-3 viaducts would be great as well....

Gooper, if you don't like the TLA/AVE-2 bridges you can feel free not to use them.

deathtopumpkins

gooper1, as noahclem said, just because something is in the game does not mean that you have to use it. The purpose of AVE-2 or TLA-3 bridges is to maintain a buffer zone between the lanes, the point of the AVE-2 to begin with. Some higher-class 2-lane roads have such a buffer zone for increased safety.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Tarkus

I've just updated the "optional addons" part of the sticky post to note the release of two new NWM-related mods over at the STEX on Simtropolis by jackxu, who you may know for the AVE-2 Medians

His latest offerings include a unidensity/no grass mod for the MAVE-4 and MAVE-6 and a Streetside Mod for the MAVE-4.

Jack, if you're reading this, my sincere compliments to you on your continued fine efforts in producing NWM addons. :thumbsup:

-Alex

gooper1

Quote from: noahclem on January 27, 2011, 05:02:53 PM
Gooper, if you don't like the TLA/AVE-2 bridges you can feel free not to use them.

It's not that I don't like them, it's that I think they're rather pointless.
(\__/)

MandelSoft

^^ As a TLA bridge, it's pointless, but it does connect well to the network. An AVE-2 is not as pointless as you might think. It could be a bridge built for a future 2+1-road (ARD-3), but with too low traffic volumes to lay this setup staight away...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

rhwfanatic221

Quote from: Tarkus on January 29, 2011, 09:36:41 PM
I've just updated the "optional addons" part of the sticky post to note the release of two new NWM-related mods over at the STEX on Simtropolis by jackxu, who you may know for the AVE-2 Medians

His latest offerings include a unidensity/no grass mod for the MAVE-4 and MAVE-6 and a Streetside Mod for the MAVE-4.

-Alex
Wow! Didn't realize those mods were around, particularly the no grass on the sides of the Mave 4/6... and that streetside mod as well.  :thumbsup:

evilbob

I have a city of around 500,000 people and due to ever increasing traffic issues, decided to widen one of my main avenues with this handy mod.  However, after setting up what i wanted, the game-which until this point was running smooth-froze.  The poor thing attempts to run a few days at a time every couple of minutes, but its obviously struggling.  Removing the road and replacing with a regular nam avenue corrected this issue.  I was wondering if this was normal?  If the mod simply takes up a ton of processing power, is incompatible with something and if so is there a list of known incompatibilities?  Granted I've no idea what it could be since I have nothing else aside from NAM affecting traffic.

Yes, plugins are up to date.

Edit - when it freezes i notice the trees and what not on the regular avenues begin blinking in and out of existence. 

Tarkus

evilbob, an image of the type of setup you're trying to build with the NWM might help diagnose your issue.  Generally, the game speed should be running just about as smoothly as they do with default networks.

As far as incompatibilities, old versions of the traffic simulator, outdated versions of the NAM and pre-NAM transport mods are the only real ones. 

-Alex

Ramona Brie

Not sure if you know, but like a TLA-3 ending at a street (RULed with no textures, though Haljackey has made some for the next NWM), an AVE-2 cannot end at a street properly. That intersection would be particularly helpful for making residential subdivisions.

evilbob

Here you go - http://i52.tinypic.com/28lufqs.jpg - uploaded a picture of said road crossing my region horizontally. 

Edit - I do have road top addon mod, but they aren't touching the widening mod roads, unless that mod is just completely incompatible to be running at the same time?

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Tracker on January 30, 2011, 04:15:45 PM
Not sure if you know, but like a TLA-3 ending at a street (RULed with no textures, though Haljackey has made some for the next NWM), an AVE-2 cannot end at a street properly. That intersection would be particularly helpful for making residential subdivisions.

You mean this? That was me... ;) That was back in October of last year.

There's no paths for this; I never got the paths to work the first time... ARD-3 also shares the same problem. Let's see if I can fill the AVE-2 one first...

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on October 12, 2010, 10:53:21 PM
Alright then,... Here's my intersection. After all, it IS "Show us your Intersections"...

Here's the crazy part, though: This intersection does not even exist in the current version of the NWM, and this image was NOT Photoshopped... And no, I'm not a member of the NWM-NAM Team... And no, I'm not a secret Tarkus; I'm just a Happy Tree Friends fan artist whose secondary interests just happen to include Simcity 4. How did I figure out the texture? iFound a pattern in the texture numbering...
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

gooper1

Seriously, what's the point of AVE-2's and TLA-3's ending at streets? Can't you just use a road (for the intersection only)?
Besides, even if it was possible to end TLA-3's  (or AVE-2's) at streets, it would be unrealistic (especially with the TLA-3)...
(\__/)

Tarkus

Quote from: gooper1 on January 31, 2011, 05:15:23 PM
Besides, even if it was possible to end TLA-3's  (or AVE-2's) at streets, it would be unrealistic (especially with the TLA-3)...

Not necessarily.  See here and here

At least in that second instance, I know that TLA-3 is planned to be extended eventually and ends at that Street as a temporary measure.  I'd imagine looking at the first instance that the same thing is probably true there.  So, if you're looking to create a situation where a collector/arterial road is gradually being built through an area, such an intersection is not implausible and could be useful. 

-Alex

gooper1

Quote from: Tarkus on January 31, 2011, 05:35:02 PM
Not necessarily.  See here and here

At least in that second instance, I know that TLA-3 is planned to be extended eventually and ends at that Street as a temporary measure.  I'd imagine looking at the first instance that the same thing is probably true there.  So, if you're looking to create a situation where a collector/arterial road is gradually being built through an area, such an intersection is not implausible and could be useful. 

-Alex

I meant to say that it would be unrealistic to end TLA-3's at streets PERMANENTLY.
By the way, the second instance does not involve a TLA-3, it involves a Road with TuLEPs ending at a street.
-Gooper1
(\__/)