• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: itsacoaster on September 01, 2011, 09:17:06 AM
You mean there won't be a gravel TLA-5?  My hopes and dreams are crushed.  ::)

If you mean a gravel TLA-5 alongside the default TLA-5, then no. If you just want a texture variation that replaces the default TLA-5's textures, then I wouldn't want to declare your dreams crushed just yet...
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

pimmapman

Why on earth would you want gravel TLA 5 anyways?

ivo_su

Perhaps these are the only people in the U.S.. I have spoken with many people and most believe that the existence of TLA networks is absolutely pointless. However, these networks a non-existent here in Europe, but 300 million are fully justified and useful for what we we can not judge them. I personally would not use them aech bo entitled to make his own choices.

Best regards,
- Ivo

Kitsune

speaking of TLA's .... are Canadian textures on the horizon? Also, I've noticed the no-owr arrows checkbox in the nam does not actually from them from the nwm owr's, will this be fixed too?
~ NAM Team Member

dwelln8hss32

So retexturing a TLA-3 or TLA-5 for dirt... would this be possible? I know it sounds strange, but many early towns with wide dirt avenues actually used these, before widespread introduction of rock or paved avenues. It would be great to introduce these in the game as well someday. I would live to learn how to make such a mod, but haven't even seen the iLive Reader, Path Creator, so forth.
All metropolitan dreams start somewhere... in the minds of many, in the feet of less, but in the hands and hearts of only few.

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: dwelln8hss32 on September 01, 2011, 03:23:54 PM
So retexturing a TLA-3 or TLA-5 for dirt... would this be possible?

These things are more than possible; It doesn't require much other than knowing which texture is which, and if you play your cards right, all you'll need to use is the Batch PNG to FSH program and some sort of image-manipulating program other than Microsoft Paint.

It's just that most of the existing texture packs out there, other than some SAM-related ones, either retrofit the game's in-game textures (NAM RCM) or make them like those of another country's road markings (Euro textures), so no one might expect that roads made from something other than concrete or asphalt might be possible.

-----
There was a recent discussion about a similar topic over at the RHW thread, so instead of clogging two threads about the same thing, I'll try to find the tutorial for textures...

Found it: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=4140.0 Though on the part where it says to use the SC4Tool to import your textures into a DAT, don't follow that. Use the Batch PNG to FSH tool for that; It's much faster.
<INACTIVE>
-----

jgehrts

The gravel TLA-5 comment was a joke, I'm pretty sure. Hence the eye-rolling emoticon... and the general ridiculousness too.  ;)

ivo_su

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on September 01, 2011, 04:17:05 PM
Quote from: dwelln8hss32 on September 01, 2011, 03:23:54 PM
So retexturing a TLA-3 or TLA-5 for dirt... would this be possible?

These things are more than possible; It doesn't require much other than knowing which texture is which, and if you play your cards right, all you'll need to use is the Batch PNG to FSH program and some sort of image-manipulating program other than Microsoft Paint.

It's just that most of the existing texture packs out there, other than some SAM-related ones, either retrofit the game's in-game textures (NAM RCM) or make them like those of another country's road markings (Euro textures), so no one might expect that roads made from something other than concrete or asphalt might be possible.

-----
There was a recent discussion about a similar topic over at the RHW thread, so instead of clogging two threads about the same thing, I'll try to find the tutorial for textures...

Found it: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=4140.0 Though on the part where it says to use the SC4Tool to import your textures into a DAT, don't follow that. Use the Batch PNG to FSH tool for that; It's much faster.

Actually, for me making texture is not as difficult as the process of painting them. Generally I use the first MS Pine and then just delete the unnecessary layer in GIMP to gain transparent film and I can overlay textures. What is really driving me crazy painting canvases and place of paths. Really very difficult to achieve this synchronization in shades of gray and black are used for roads. If anyone has free time and displayed in the video how paint texture will be very useful to me.

dwelln8hss32

Perfect, Ganaram. Thanks for your advice, and for the link... very encouraging!
All metropolitan dreams start somewhere... in the minds of many, in the feet of less, but in the hands and hearts of only few.

Shadow Assassin

Quote from: Kitsune on September 01, 2011, 03:06:43 PM
speaking of TLA's .... are Canadian textures on the horizon?

No. But there's nothing stopping anyone else from creating them ;)
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

mothuggin805

CAN SOM1 PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME HOW TO MAKE NEIGHBORHOOD CONNECTION WITH ONE WAY STREETS PLEASE. I DONT COME HERE ALOT SO PLEASE SEND ME A MAIL AT TSRQP@SBCGLOBAL.NET 2

jdenm8

NCs with One Way Road is not possible due to game limitations. The network is disallowed from making neighbour connections.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Wiimeiser

Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Wiimeiser on September 05, 2011, 10:38:27 PM
And streets?

Streets, like OWRs, can't make neighbor connections on their own. However, you CAN force the game into making a Street NC.

It uses a technique similar to j-dub's pre-RHW NCP tutorial, but Metarvo made a highly descriptive tutorial for it. http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=7350.msg232470#msg232470
<INACTIVE>
-----

itsacoaster

Quote from: jgehrts on September 01, 2011, 05:12:26 PM
The gravel TLA-5 comment was a joke, I'm pretty sure. Hence the eye-rolling emoticon... and the general ridiculousness too.  ;)
Hehe, yep.  :D  Sorry if I derailed the thread at all, but it's hard for me to resist a one-liner like that.

I'm one of the 300 million in the USA who use TLAs, and I like them a whole lot.  They are used to relieve congestion caused by left-turning cars yielding to oncoming traffic, by moving left-turning traffic into the shared turn lane.  My hometown (pop. 48,000) has miles of both TLA-3s and TLA-5s.  They seem to work quite well for us.  I very much appreciate their inclusion in NWM.

ivo_su

itsacoaster  town where I was born is also a population of around 48,000  and I can tell you that there was not seen to have congestion in the absence of TLA. Now here in Sofia (1.5 million) a major cause of congestion is traffic lights  and parked cars to sidewalks that take 1-2 strips of sails. From personal observations, I have found  that relieving the most traffic are:
- Intersections on many levels, with no stop points
- Underground and surface parking in many places
- Wide boulevards with more lanes of 6-8
But 100 percent TLA must exist and they have a place in Sim City 4 because in the U.S. is the largest group of people who play this game and you should be happy. And those  like me who do not like  these networks, we are extremely easy - simply will not use them.

Best regards,
Ivo

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: itsacoaster on September 06, 2011, 05:17:06 PM
I'm one of the 300 million in the USA who use TLAs, and I like them a whole lot.

A couple things:

- It's now 310 million, and I'm also one of them. :)
- There's three (technically four) notable TLAs in my town as well, and one of them's a TLA-4.
- The Turn-Lane Avenue network was implemented because the default Avenue (AVE-4) wouldn't allow zone access across its full width; If you were on the right side of the AVE and had to access something on the left side, you'd have to find a place to make a U-turn to do so. (If you also look at how the TLA-5 is pathed, it allows you to make a left exit from a building without having to go right and make a U-turn.)
- I believe Canada also has these things as well, but if I recall, their median is inside-out compared to the US, right?
- I personally find it great to embrace EVERY type of NWM network available. Really boosts the realism factor (Considering there's a few MAVE-4's in my town as well).

Quote from: ivo_su on September 06, 2011, 05:40:34 PM
But 100 percent TLA must exist and they have a place in Sim City 4 because in the U.S. is the largest group of people who play this game and you should be happy.

I wouldn't say 100% of TLA users are in the US, at most a good majority; There's TLAs in Canada (a neighbour to the US), and you have to account for that one curious Euro-themed user out there who wants to "Americanise" their city. (That's why I, as an American-themed user, tried Euro textures once.)
<INACTIVE>
-----

jibjohn

Who was saying you don't find TLA's in europe?
TLA-5: http://g.co/maps/srm6g
TLA-3: http://g.co/maps/8fa6b
but in the UK you cannot use them in the same way at US TLA's, as it's still a single carriageway you cannot wait in the middle lane when right on to the TLA (although the other day i did drive past someone doing that on the TLA-5 there). It's actually really common to see bits of TLA-3 in the UK, a lot of roads built from the 1930s right up to the 1970s were single carriageways with 3 lanes the middle one being for overtaking only (suicide lane setup), with there poor safety record for head on collisions the middle lanes have mainly had hatching painted on them, however it's still legal to overtake on them (just watch out for the traffic islands now in a lot of them).
John

GMT

I wouldn't quite go ahead and call this a TLA. It's more likely a drawn median of some sorts. At least the markings suggest this interpretation, as you clearly see that the limits within you're allowed to drive are dedicated intersection-type turning lanes while all other parts are prohibited area.
It has some TLA-ish appearence cuz it goes all the way along the center of the road and has the width of a lane all the way.
I see where your idea comes from, but like I said, I wouldn't call it a TLA as these implement the use of a "suicide lane" like in the US or Canada.

... really, it is. I swear.

MandelSoft

Quote from: jibjohn on September 07, 2011, 09:11:00 AM
Who was saying you don't find TLA's in europe?
TLA-5: http://g.co/maps/srm6g
TLA-3: http://g.co/maps/8fa6b
but in the UK you cannot use them in the same way at US TLA's, as it's still a single carriageway you cannot wait in the middle lane when right on to the TLA (although the other day i did drive past someone doing that on the TLA-5 there). It's actually really common to see bits of TLA-3 in the UK, a lot of roads built from the 1930s right up to the 1970s were single carriageways with 3 lanes the middle one being for overtaking only (suicide lane setup), with there poor safety record for head on collisions the middle lanes have mainly had hatching painted on them, however it's still legal to overtake on them (just watch out for the traffic islands now in a lot of them).
John
Again, the UK is an oddball here. You don't see simillar setups like these on the European mainland. The closest you can get there is this (location: Belgium)

But also these roads are rare outside Belgium.

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE