• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinlabsc3k

Is possible to make a T-21 pylon on RHW 6-8-10 that appears when other elevated network crosses? ()what()
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

apeguy

Perhaps make multiple crossings for wider NWM networks in a similar way to some of the TuLEP and FLUP pieces, i.e. when you rotate the piece it gives you the option of another piece. That way you could choose from cantilever truss, plate girder, undertruss, arch etc. without making the tab ring too long. ;)

I know someone would have to make all the models for the pieces, but if they did, you could set them out like this. ;)

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

Tarkus

Quote from: vinlabsc3k on February 06, 2012, 02:32:22 PM
Is possible to make a T-21 pylon on RHW 6-8-10 that appears when other elevated network crosses? ()what()

The problem is where to place that pylon.  Some of those RHW networks (and NWM networks, too) cover pretty much a whole tile, and it's difficult to place them in such a place that they wouldn't end up landing right on top of the network, which isn't at all a desirable result.  It's kind of a tricky situation.

-Alex

Haljackey

Quote from: jdenm8 on February 06, 2012, 03:10:35 AM

Now that was great.

If anyone's up for a game of Starcraft II, feel free to let me know.

Also all these SCs are getting confusing

SCII - Starcraft II
SC4 - Simcity 4
SCIV - Soul Calibur IV

Am I missing anything?

EDIT: Also, it's now on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/pe7eb/when_sc4_meets_scii/

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread. Some nice progress here, and that patch will come in handy!

Kropotkin

Quote from: jdenm8 on January 24, 2012, 07:08:14 PM
Bam.

Resized to width 800. Click image to view full size (1366x768).

This is awsome, got to be compatible with this here:
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2913.420

Can it be?

gn_leugim

it can be, but buddybud has to make the T21 for them first

strucka

These larger networks should be bridged with some realy wide bridges, maybe something with a truss construction, or maybe at least a low concrete arch. The truss constructions could also be used for ELR-over-avenue and other wide networks. It would sure seem realistic, even though in the case of the avenues, the medians are wide enough to have the rail supported by central coloumns.

Tarkus

What'd really be easier to accomplish would be to simply stagger the support columns so they land in an unobtrusive spot on the TLA . . . similar to how the Heavy Rail-over-Avenue setup that ArkenbergJoe designed. 

I think expecting arches, let alone a wide variety of bridge-like setups, is overly optimistic at this point.

-Alex

jdenm8

Most of these suggestions seem to hinge on the assumption that I can do one of two things.

A. Create any kind of usable model in the BAT.
B. Create T21 Exemplars.

I can do neither. The reason why AVE-6 is getting a support column is because it's largely copy-paste then modify a few values in Reader.

There is a truss I like the look of, but I would have to ask the creator for permission to use it, then separate it from the S3D models it's in and modify it to fit the comparably narrow Maxis ElRail structure (not his wider Cosmetic Mod's one).

Most trusses out there aren't three tiles, they're one tile, one and a half tiles or two tiles generally. This one is the only three-tile one I know of. This would also require significantly more effort than I've put into the other pieces, and I don't even use TLAs in my cities.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Tarkus

Quote from: jdenm8 on February 07, 2012, 05:19:13 PM
There is a truss I like the look of, but I would have to ask the creator for permission to use it, then separate it from the S3D models it's in and modify it to fit the comparably narrow Maxis ElRail structure (not his wider Cosmetic Mod's one).

Most trusses out there aren't three tiles, they're one tile, one and a half tiles or two tiles generally. This one is the only three-tile one I know of. This would also require significantly more effort than I've put into the other pieces, and I don't even use TLAs in my cities.

Thanks for helping clarify that whole side of things, JD.  To further expound on this notion, it would entail a lot of time and effort--using skills not many of us on the NAM Team have--to make a minor cosmetic improvement.  We also are not going to make an external prop pack become a dependency of the NAM.

To the "Pylon Police" out there, please note that this is the Network Addon Mod . . . while we do make an effort to make our network content as aesthetically appealing as we can with our time, so many folks out there have very different ideas as to how things should be based on their vastly different experiences, and we can't satisfy everyone.  As a result, we tend to keep things very basic.

If someone wants to come in and make a third-party T21 mod to put an arch on something, or do something snazzy with the pylons, be our guest.  But first, we have tens of thousands of lines of RUL code to write, S3Ds to assemble, and path files to slog through in order for there to be anything on which to put pylons/arches.

-Alex

MandelSoft

Something you can do is making the deck and the supporting pylons somewhat thicker for that particular overpass. This would make the structure look more rigid without doing T21s work with the BAT.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

jdenm8

After Tarkus' post and a few difficulties with widening the Pylon structure on the AVE-6 piece to fit the broader Road passage point, I've decided to omit the pylon. Since I'm omitting the pylon, I may as well do a TLA-7 version as well.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

DAB_City

@ Tarkus: You need to put a link to NWM 2.0.3 on the front page ;)
I like what's happening with the Elevated Rail though!
Hello SimCity Devotees! If you want to find out more about me, why not visit my profile? Free drinks and biscuits, if that would tempt anyone ;)

http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/user/360022-dab-city/

Tarkus

Quote from: DAB_City on February 08, 2012, 12:42:49 PM
@ Tarkus: You need to put a link to NWM 2.0.3 on the front page ;)

One step ahead of you--I attached it to the sticky post the day the patch was released, complete with installation instructions. :)  Just click the "Patches/Fixes" link at the top of the sticky post and it'll take you down to it.

-Alex

DAB_City

Oh yeah... but under the 'Downloads - Patches/Fixes section', it's still labelled as 2.0.2 &Thk/(
Hello SimCity Devotees! If you want to find out more about me, why not visit my profile? Free drinks and biscuits, if that would tempt anyone ;)

Tarkus

Quote from: DAB_City on February 08, 2012, 01:23:03 PM
Oh yeah... but under the 'Downloads - Patches/Fixes section', it's still labelled as 2.0.2 &Thk/(

Thanks for catching that!  It's now fixed.  A lot of info to sort through there, so it's useful having a second pair of eyes on it. :thumbsup:

-Alex

shinkansen1

It looks like there is a missing path in one of the possible intersections:

I apologize if this has already been noted or is currently being worked on. This is a MAVE-6/NMAVE-4 'T' intersection. So far I have not noticed any problems with any other intersections that I have used involving the NWM.

ivo_su

For me  the solution to this "problem" may be using a piece of the puzzle size  1x3 which has a 3SD file and this area is something like Bridge to  comply with the arch wires or shrouds. I guess  Alex will say that NAM is concerned with networks and these are just minor details.  These are just technical  amendments to aesthetics, but would require a large amount of work.

Tarkus

Quote from: shinkansen1 on February 09, 2012, 12:56:27 AM
I apologize if this has already been noted or is currently being worked on. This is a MAVE-6/NMAVE-4 'T' intersection. So far I have not noticed any problems with any other intersections that I have used involving the NWM.

Nope, it hasn't been noted--thanks for spotting it!  I've updated the patch to Version 2.0.4.  It's attached below and on the sticky thread.  As always, it combines all previous NWM 2.0 fixes, and just drop it into your Network Addon Mod\Network Widening Mod folder.

-Alex

DAB_City

Remember to change the descriptions (again!) -  sorry to keep being a pain, it's good to be helpful though ;)