• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Road/Street to Avenue...

Started by videosean, May 28, 2008, 03:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

videosean

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on May 29, 2008, 07:33:29 PM
It seems you've forgotten to add the low-wealth and no-wealth textures to the DAT for that piece.

:P

Incidentally, you've also forgotten to add a few other textures too. It happens - it's happened to me once before, but it doesn't take long to fix, thank God.

I did what??!!  I will look into it and figure it out but that completely explains this behavior:

Shadow Assassin

Check your email for the fixed DAT. ;)
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

videosean

Yes yes I'm on it!  I'm trying to figure out how I did this in the first place (typo perhaps while entering IDs) and why you seem to have more than 16 textures ;)

Shadow Assassin

They weren't in the DAT at all.

And it seems I made the same mistake.  :D

You will need to add the piece 0x04009930 - 0x04009934, I forgot to add that.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

videosean

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on May 29, 2008, 08:06:58 PM
They weren't in the DAT at all.

And it seems I made the same mistake.  :D

You will need to add the piece 0x04009930 - 0x04009934, I forgot to add that.
LOL!  Yes it does look like I made the textures but just missed getting them in.  I'll have to go and make subfolders with no more than 50 files for importing to a dat... I get so lost when I have to scroll for files in a tiny explorer window  >:(

Thanks very much for the help :)  Now that I can see my mistakes I should be able to get back to making the graphics better, making the street to ave (tomorrow or another day) and hopefully not make this mistake again.  Some pics... because everyone likes pics, right? :)
With NAM Roundabouts:

With Turning lanes:

New question if anyone can answer: Can I make it so that no matter how it's drawn the angled lines will always be correct?

nerdly_dood

Personally, I am not sure, but I don't think so.  I like what you've been doing. :thumbsup:

If anything, all I care about is those yellow lines on the EDGE of the road/avenue transition, I would prefer them to be white, or not there at all.

But you are working hard, and you are making something totally new, and I would probably prefer your new mod to the Maxis texture if you dull the colors some.  What I recommend to do that is using a tool that copies the color that you click on, and click on the Maxis road texture's yellow center line so that you can use that color when you change the lines on the texture. ;)
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

TEG24601

Quote from: nerdly_dood on May 30, 2008, 12:41:19 PM
If anything, all I care about is those yellow lines on the EDGE of the road/avenue transition, I would prefer them to be white, or not there at all.

But you are working hard, and you are making something totally new, and I would probably prefer your new mod to the Maxis texture if you dull the colors some.  What I recommend to do that is using a tool that copies the color that you click on, and click on the Maxis road texture's yellow center line so that you can use that color when you change the lines on the texture. ;)

I have to disagree.  What we really need it to brighten the lines.  That would make it look like the lines were new, or often repainted, and have glass beads or reflectors on them.  Also, some white lines along the shoulder of the transition may look nice.

TEG

nerdly_dood

What I meant was to darken the lines only within the road/avenue transition.  That way, they match better with the other roads, and it would be a lot more work to change EVERY SINGLE ROAD TEXTURE with a line on it than to just darken the lines on the texture you're working on.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.

videosean

Well my computer has decided to not want to run any 3D games without screwing up the video signal to the monitor.  I can't test much more because of that.  This is just the progression of a problem I've had for awhile and I'm pretty sure there's a problem on the motherboard because when I got a new video card I still had problems.

Anyway I do have 2 complete DATs now tested as much as I can.  One set has the diagonals going one way, the other set they go the other way.  They can't be used at the same time but I made an alternate set so they'll be there if I do figure how to make it work the way I want.

I'd get pics without the dashed lines on the roads if I could get the game to run again  >:(

nerdly_dood

Now that looks a lot better!  The lines match the other road lines a lot better, and I see that you have a street transition done. Dare I call it... awesome? &apls

Cant' wait for release!

videosean

Boy that road looks bad next to the street... I might have to redo it again.  The weather's been a little cooler and I was able to run the game again and got pics with the Maxis default double yellow line road:

MandelSoft

It looks terrific, Videosean :thumbsup:  Keep on going!
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

j-dub

I have been watching, and I like what I see, this transition is alot more what I see in reality. The line colors match alot better.

videosean

Well... I guess Tarkus doesn't have to make an RHW2 to avenue transition piece... then again maybe he already realized this.  Just end your avenue into a road with one tile and connect the RHW2 :)

Or if you prefer, one street tile:

JoeST

A proper transition would be better to ensure no bottlenecking occurs due to speed changes and such  :thumbsup:

looking brilliant in here tho, thanks for doing this :)

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

videosean

Fixed the main problem on the road to avenue with sidewalks - the alpha mask wasn't quite right for it... shoot and now I see I need to redo the street sidewalk alpha too.

I guess I've learned what this 1 pixel offset is - seems to happen when the textures get mirrored.  Yextures for the road on the left is mirrored but the actual road texture isn't and I assume that's why it's off.  I could make proper mirrored textures but getting them to work is beyond my ability... would require RULing and all that I believe.

*edit - Street sidewalks fixed:

http://www.plunder.com/Avenue-to-Road-Street-download-154743.htm - download :)

frdrcklim

This is a nice idea, but I honestly thought that the transition would look nice if it was longer like the transition of the one-tile RHW to the two-tile RHW.
300... 200... 100... 50... 40... 30... 20... 10

Yep, I still got it.

JoeST

I believe the next NAM will have a 3 tile long transition.

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

nerdly_dood

It's more like 4 if I remember properly.

I'm reasonably sure that it is 4 actually...

frdrcklim

Oh joy  ::) Now I can't wait for the next NAM to get out  ;D
300... 200... 100... 50... 40... 30... 20... 10

Yep, I still got it.