• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_cozu

here's a suggestion some of you might wanna read... maybe there's already been mentioned but i dont seem to find it at all...

is there some way to get a MIS -> OWR connection.. if so... is there a tutorial?

Actually i've been trying that myself and i can't really find a way to do that...

anyway... If there isn't a way to do that at all... i suggest to include that connection on the next version of the RHW... cuz it would be very helpful...

PD i know i can do that by putting a RHW 6 - RHW 4 dual lanes and then convert one to OWR... but... it takes a lot of space... and the MIS looks prettier on an intersection

Thanks and great work to the NAM team

rickmastfan67

Quote from: el_cozu on January 22, 2008, 03:39:09 PM
is there some way to get a MIS -> OWR connection.. if so... is there a tutorial?

Not possible at this time.

anyway... If there isn't a way to do that at all... i suggest to include that connection on the next version of the RHW... cuz it would be very helpful...

Maybe for v21, but I don't know if Alex is ready to implement something like that yet.
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

Haljackey

here's a suggestion some of you might wanna read... maybe there's already been mentioned but i dont seem to find it at all...

Actually i've been trying that myself and i can't really find a way to do that...

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on January 22, 2008, 03:56:35 PM
Not possible at this time.

I beg to differ.  This is possible, but there isn't a proper texture for a MIS-OWR transition yet.
I discovered this when I was playing around with the new RHW network.  Its not pretty, but it works.

Have a look:

Best,
-Haljackey

Shadow Assassin

QuoteThis is possible, but there isn't a proper texture for a MIS-OWR transition yet.

And it hasn't been RULed and pathed for MIS yet. If you tried to change the texture, it could have unintended side effects.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

bakerton

I have actually got MIS to transition to one way roads. I forgot how I did it and I will find the picture with it working. My advice is to play around with it and it might work out for you. JKB
beam me up.... please!
I am the lurker that hides in all the corners and you can't get me out. You may try, but you can't.Please call me Jon or Jonathan.

Tarkus

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on January 22, 2008, 06:40:03 PM
And it hasn't been RULed and pathed for MIS yet. If you tried to change the texture, it could have unintended side effects.

SA's right.  If one were to change the texture, it means that whenever an RHW-2 converts into an OWR, you'd have the MIS-OWR texture.  Of course, I don't really see anyone using an OWR/RHW-2 conversion, but it would be relatively simple to RUL a new one in.  Of course, once we start adding more draggable intersections into the MIS setup (diagonals, etc.), I don't think people will be using OWRs as much. 

dragonshardz, to answer your question, it is a definite yes.  Every known issue in v20 is planned to be fixed with v21, in addition to all the new features (wider RHWs, Elevated RHWs, more MIS interfaces, more overpass pieces, etc.).

-Alex (Tarkus)

Shadow Assassin

QuoteI don't think people will be using OWRs as much.

Are you sure about that? ;)

A lot of exits here in RL widen from one lane to two lanes before making an intersection with a major road. This could be done with OWRs, plus, it would save extra textures from having to be made for intersections if MIS-2 ever got done. So, I definitely would suggest doing a MIS/OWR interface just for that reason alone.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Jonathan

Why use OWR when you could use half a RHW-4?
A 90 turn for the RHW-4 might be a good idea for when the RHW-4 is used as a slip road.

el_cozu

Quote from: Haljackey on January 22, 2008, 06:32:34 PM
I beg to differ.  This is possible, but there isn't a proper texture for a MIS-OWR transition yet.
I discovered this when I was playing around with the new RHW network.  Its not pretty, but it works.

Have a look:

Best,
-Haljackey

Actualy... it is a connection to 2 way road... then... connection to OWR... so...  MIS -> 2WR -> OWR... so at one point... the way of the traffic changes forward to backward in one lane... it may work... but... i was thinkin something else if you know what I mean... but thanks anyway... I'll show you some of my pics with a cool solution i found

blunderclod

What I would love to see in the next release is a variant of the MIS-RHW2 Merge. The current one is a challange to use as it tend to eat up more space than I like to use when creating the highway corridor.

Haljackey

Quote from: el_cozu on January 23, 2008, 09:38:34 AM
Actualy... it is a connection to 2 way road... then... connection to OWR... so...  MIS -> 2WR -> OWR... so at one point... the way of the traffic changes forward to backward in one lane... it may work... but... i was thinkin something else if you know what I mean... but thanks anyway... I'll show you some of my pics with a cool solution i found

No its not, although it appears to be.  What it actually is is a MIS (ANT)-OWR transition.  It looks like this because there is no MIS-OWR transition texture made yet, and conflicts may arise if made as mentioned above by Shadow Assassin and Tarkus.  Thats why it looks like a MIS-road-OWR connection.

-A RHW-2 to OWR transition is pretty much pointless, eh?  That is basically what the MIS-OWR transition will look like if textured this way.

Best,
-Haljackey

schm0

As far as both of the redrawn merged RHW2 and RHW4 pieces are concerned, the end of the turn right before the merge is much too sharp. If anything it should be more sharp at the other end, and smooth out towards the merge. Driving on that would cause on heck of a jerk on the steering wheel to avoid the other lane of merging traffic and staying in one's lane.

'Tis my only gripe, and the textures look fantastic. Keep up the good work!
schm0

Haljackey

This post is directed towards all RHW team members, past and present.

I don't think I've had the honor in this crazy day and age to express my gratitude for your work.  Over the years, I have seen this idea start out as a simple ANT that was just a wall-less ground highway turn out to what it is today.  Now, I have no idea how you managed to create a fully modular highway and interchange system with the dirt road ANT, so all I can say is wow.  Wow to the fact that you stepped up to the challenge, not for money and fame, but because you wanted to.  No one made you make this, and no one should have the right to push you around because you work for no-one!

I commend you for all the hard work, year-after year.  You managed to stay focused throughout the entire journey up to now, both during the good times and the bad.  There have been some bumps here-and-there, but yet you remained committed.  What started out essentially "Rural" has become anything but, a new highway network even better than what Maxis could come up with.  I think its really impressive that a small number of you have done something better than a major international cooperation; and what stuns me the most is that you worked on it at your leisure, while the people at Maxis/EA were being payed a full-time salary. 

Who would have known?  Not them, not I, maybe not even you.  Did you think that when you were first acquainted with the RHW and all its inner-workings, that such a feat could be accomplished?  I think you had some hope that it could be done, but you knew that you were just one person and really couldn't do it by yourself without teammates.

Look at this site.  Now, take a closer look.  Look at the members at this site.  Look at your teammates.  Would you be able to call them your friends even if you never met them in person? 
Now take a broader look.  Look at the whole community.  Look at their appreciation for all that you have done.  Look at what they have done with what you have provided them with.  Look into the past.  Look at the beginnings, the midpoints, the present, and now, look to the future.  Look at all the members' posts, questions, and comments.  Look at the responses to these.  Look at yourself... what you were back then and what you are now.

There's a lot of history to this project, eh?  Something like this really deserves admiration, and respect.  None of this would have been possible without your contributions, and for that I thank you.  Your work will be looked at and admired for many years to come.  Every post includes a little bit of this project's history, a history that is unique as the members who made it. 

Anyways, there you have it.  I hope this means something you, and that it gives you a chance to reflect on all the effort put into this project.  I wish you the best as you continue to make this project better and better, and to all the members who have worked on this in the past.

-Haljackey

mightygoose

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
AMEN

-John D Bottomley-
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Crissa

Here, here!

-Crissa

(I know, me too posts are lame, but guys, you're why I even kept SC4.)

blunderclod

I'll add my two cents for the praise as well. In addition to all that was stated above, the keeps SC4 fresh and alive as in the real world where places grow and evolve. SC4 has changed since its original incarnation and the coming of RH. Seeing what these members have done with the ANT has left me speechless. Maybe that's a good thing. I've been known to talk to much, but I ramble...
So here's to you,  &apls

JGCarter

rooker1

Haljackey, very impressive and well deserved speach.

&apls &apls

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Lollo

Keep an eye on the Lair!