• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeST

QuoteBack with (ir)regularly scheduled development shortly . . .
oooooooo cant wait

Yeah a poll would be a good idea. It would be nice to know what other ways you could split it.

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Haljackey

Personally, I would like to see the overpass puzzle pieces removed from the RHW tab.

Back when version 0.13B was "king", these were found in their respected tabs.  Road-over-RHW was found in the road overpass tab, not the RHW tab.  When I downloaded version 0.20, it took me a while to figure out that ALL these overpasses were found in the RHW tab.

I understand why they were in this tab, because there wasn't just one RHW overpass anymore.  There was RHW-2, RHW-4 and MIS.
-Still, I think they should be found in their respected tabs, so that when I create an overpass I don't need to constantly switch from the RHW tab to the road/ave, etc tabs.

In addition to this, I just wanted to say thanks for the feedback you gave back on page 81.  There is a lot of history here, and even more is being made right now!  Even more can be found during the "early days" at Simtropolis.  We really miss you guys there, and I encourage you to check back there every once and a while.  You don't need to "revive" the projects there, just stopping by and saying "hello" sometime would mean a lot!

Best,
-Haljackey

DFire870

I also like Joe's idea, where they would be grouped by lane sizes. It would be much easier to find the pieces this way. But I also like Haljackey's suggestion, where the overpass pieces would be moved back to their tabs. It makes more sense considering, for example, the avenue over GLR puzzle piece, etc. are there.

I was also wondering, in the future is there going to be a MIS drag piece? Reason why I asked is that IRL there are certain intersections between two sub-freeway networks that are on different grades and use ramps.

-- John
After a long absence, I'm back! And I will be starting a new MD soon.

Andreas

Quote from: DFire870 on February 01, 2008, 02:29:04 PM
It would be much easier to find the pieces this way. But I also like Haljackey's suggestion, where the overpass pieces would be moved back to their tabs. It makes more sense considering, for example, the avenue over GLR puzzle piece, etc. are there.

Well, the main reason because they were moved to a separate button is that the RHW is an optional plugin. If somebody doesn't have installed the RHW, there would be "gaps" in the other rotation rings, which is rather confusing. Since the rotation rings are defined in the NAM Controller, there's only one possible configuration, and we don't really want to maintain several different NAM Controller versions (they would also cause much confusion among the users).
Andreas

JoeST

well if thats the case, then would it be possible for it to be standard over all networks?

and yeah it was a nice idea... pity about the constraints

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

DFire870

Oh, that makes sense. Then perhaps you could either group the overpass pieces based on the RHW width, or group all overpass pieces together?

-- John.
After a long absence, I'm back! And I will be starting a new MD soon.

Tarkus

Poll is now up. ;)  It'll be open for at least a couple of weeks.

-Alex (Tarkus)

Shadow Assassin

Nice. I personally prefer them being bunched by type, though... each system is similar in terms of number of puzzle pieces, so it wouldn't really matter, anyway.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Crissa

Too bad you can't put the rings in the NAM 'update' file.

-Crissa

Ryan B.

I'd prefer to see them grouped by type, then put in order from lowest amount of lanes > highest amount of lanes.

That's just my $0.02 USD, though.

Palpatine001

Hey a Poll  %confuso

[Votes]

Anycase I voted option X  :-\ for now due to the way I play around with the city developments
Now Idle
Please leave a message after the beep and I'll get to you as soon as I can bother

freedo50

Is there any reason why RHW is still an optional plugin? I mean it's not as if anyone still uses the ANT as an ANT is it?
The other option would be to have a checkbox on the installer which asked if you wanted the RHW overpasses in the tab rings or not, and then installed whichever version of the NAM Essentials was necessary.

Fred

Meastro444

Quote from: Tarkus on April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

[tabular type=4 caption="Wider RHW Types and Space Consumption"]
[row] [head]RHW Type[/head] [head]Tile Width[/head][/row]
[row] [data]RHW-2[/data] [data]1 Tile[/data][/row]
[row] [data]RHW-3[/data] [data]2 Tiles1[/data][/row]
[row] [data]RHW-4[/data] [data]2 Tiles[/data][/row]
[row] [data]RHW-6C[/data] [data]3 Tiles1[/data][/row]
[row] [data]RHW-6S[/data] [data]4 Tiles1[/data][/row]
[row] [data]RHW-8C[/data] [data]3 Tiles[/data][/row]
[row] [data]RHW-8S[/data] [data]4 Tiles[/data][/row]
[row] [data]RHW-10[/data] [data]4 Tiles[/data][/data][/row]
[row] [data]MIS-1 Ramp[/data] [data]1 Tile[/data][/row]
[/tabular]

1--Due to the way in which the lanes are situated, traffic can only use part of the overall width.  Only 1 tile of the RHW-3, and 2 tiles of both the RHW-6C and RHW-6S can carry traffic, and thus, in terms of capacity, they are 1-tile and 2-tile networks, respectively.

Here is a listing of their capacities.  The values are based off of the new NAM Traffic Simulators by jplumbley and mott.  Different simulators will have different values set, but the ratios will be the same.  Note that the game handles capacity on a per-tile basis, not a per-lane or per-path basis, so some additional width on the wider networks may just be "functional eyecandy" (automata can and will use the extra width not accounted for in the capacity).

i am a bit confused here:  :-[
will the Automata (the cars etc) move on all lanes (if pathed)? but the capacity is one tile? :-[
Friend of the Certified Drama Queen :)

RebaLynnTS

Quote from: freedo50 on February 02, 2008, 10:38:43 AM
Is there any reason why RHW is still an optional plugin? I mean it's not as if anyone still uses the ANT as an ANT is it?
The other option would be to have a checkbox on the installer which asked if you wanted the RHW overpasses in the tab rings or not, and then installed whichever version of the NAM Essentials was necessary.

Fred

I think I can answer that one ... the NAM team has decided to make the NAM more modular, so updates are easier to handle. And, updates will be able to come more frequently.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

Lollo

Hey Shadow Assassin, do you have any news regarding the euro textures?

Keep an eye on the Lair!

Tarkus

Fred, to answer your question, as Becca alluded to, we've modularized the NAM now, but also, I should point out that the ANT Plugin no longer exists.  It has been officially "assimilated" into the RHW Plugin, while the "ANT" has been . . . um . . .  "squashed".  :D

Meastro444, to answer your question, the automata will indeed move on all lanes, but all the lanes are confined to a single tile. 

By the way, right now our poll has already had 76 voters in less than 24 hours.  Thank you to all who voted! :thumbsup:

And I am back with the promised update.  A few random things in development.  Prototype textures still on some of this stuff.  (Yes, I know the stripes are backwards on one side of this first one.)

I'd show you the transition piece on this one, but it's being a royal pain RUL-wise and I'm having to re-work it entirely.

Oh, and I figured out bridges. ;) 

More stuff will be on display here soon.

-Alex (Tarkus)

Lollo

Oh come on, Alex! These pics are simply wonderful! Great job!

Keep an eye on the Lair!

Andreas

Hehe, at that rate, Shadow Assassin will never be able to finish his Euro textures. ;) But I'm making progress with the SAM Euro textures, though. :)
Andreas

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Andreas on February 02, 2008, 03:18:42 PM
Hehe, at that rate, Shadow Assassin will never be able to finish his Euro textures. ;) But I'm making progress with the SAM Euro textures, though. :)

If he can't get rid of that virius, he can never get them done. :P
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

toxicpiano

I find that alcohol, taken in sufficient quantities, can bring about all the effects of drunkenness.