• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonathan

I think TEG meant exits in the median of the RHW, not exits for LHD game. Us LHDers exits/entrances on the outside of the RHW, everything is the same as RHD except the cars go on the "wrong" side ;).

MandelSoft

To answer all questions:

- The RHW has to be rebuild before the guard rails show up
- The curves aren't currently done, but they will in the future
- I've considered to remodel the guard rails to reduce the gap inbetween them
- I still have some trouble with Ramp C. The pieces just won't show up.

Best,
MRTNRLN
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

deathtopumpkins

The reason I think we need left-hand exits is for 1. special circumstances where there is not room for one on the right, but there is in the median. 2. HOV/Restricted Lanes that don't have to use the splitter so we can make one-lane ones with MIS or combine the MIS together.

Here's an example of what I mean. It's the I-84/384 interchange east of Hartford, Connecticut. There is one HOV lane each direction, and they are seperated from the highway by a median at most spots. You get on it by means of a left exit (which there are several of in Hartford proper) downtown, and off by a left exit on 384 in Manchester or 84 in Vernon (There is a seperate HOV lane exit at the 384 interchange). There is also one point with a crossover into the HOV lane, and we already know that crossover pieces (at least between RHW4 and RHW4, maybe not MIS yet) are going to be in v21.

On SPUIs, is that going to have the intersection on top of the highway, or below it? The only one around here has it below it, and can be seen here.

Take your time on the guardrails, mrtnrln. We don't want to pressure you and cause you to upload substandard guardrails just to get us off your back.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

RebaLynnTS

Anything worth doing, is worth doing right, and anything done right, is worth waiting for.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

TEG24601

For the SPIU, there should be the option for both above and below.  They do exist in both forms, and it is only logical to make it an option for both.

TEG

videosean

Quote from: TEG24601 on May 31, 2008, 10:14:39 AM
For the SPIU, there should be the option for both above and below.  They do exist in both forms, and it is only logical to make it an option for both.
Agreed... and I'll stop with my hatred of lext exits on the RHW... there are times when they are appropriate.  It's just that things like this

might look fine on paper... but have fun navigating it on a highway system that's been over capacity for years  ::)
Don't ever take me too seriously LOL

Ryan B.

I know exactly what you mean there.  It looks like ODOT does a lot of that stuff.  :help:

videosean

Quote from: videosean on May 31, 2008, 07:41:47 AMBack to the SPUI... I think it needs one more tile spacing along the N-S highway between the road and the ramp, making it a 3x3 puzzle piece.
How about a 4x3 (and a 3x3... nothin but time on my hands today) puzzle piece (after I got my head out of my butt and drew it correctly) but not sure it would work with 1 tile between cross road and tunnel entrance for highway to pass under.
Rough idea:

The curve could be nicer going to a 4x4 layout but compactness would probably be a goal with a puzzle piece for me... 16 tile limit on puzzle pieces?

allan_kuan1992

If there is such a limit (i did hear about this before) the best thing would be to just split this up into two or maybe four puzzle pieces, and put them in their own menu so that it would be easy to build the intersection.

- Allan Kuan

WillG_75

Quote from: videosean on May 31, 2008, 10:24:29 AM
Agreed... and I'll stop with my hatred of lext exits on the RHW... there are times when they are appropriate.  It's just that things like this

might look fine on paper... but have fun navigating it on a highway system that's been over capacity for years  ::)
Don't ever take me too seriously LOL

LOL glad to see another Columbus native who despises the I70-71 split ;D I guess those plans to tunnel under the Miller-Kelton houses to ease traffic for the split never worked out eh?

Tarkus

Well, as far as the SPUI pieces go, the piece I'm planning to make (at least for the Ground RHW-4) is probably a 4x4 piece, consisting entirely of the main *-Intersection and the little bit of ramp that goes over the RHW.  Everything else will be handled by existing and new draggable systems and separate puzzle pieces, including the channelized ramps not included in the *-Intersection.  (This would likely entail an Avenue/MIS ramp interface piece.) 

Obviously, it would make sense to do a "reversed" version, where the *-Intersection piece is under an El-RHW, and I also plan on creating versions for the Wider RHWs and the TLA-7/AVE-6 they arrives, which would be a little bit larger. Wider RHW ones would be 4x6, TLA-7/AVE-6 ones would be 5x4 and 5x6 with Wider RHWs.  Won't even come close to the 16x16 limit (which does indeed exist). 

I'm not sure quite where these pieces will go in terms of the menu icons--there's potentially going to be a whole flood of new ones for the Highways menu as RHW is developed further in the next couple versions.  We're talking probably 100 or so new puzzle pieces being made when it's all said and done. 

Oh, and I'd also like to make a piece to allow this cool "Spupclo" (hybrid Parclo/SPUI) I saw over at Kurumi.com . . .

-Alex (Tarkus)

nerdly_dood

Well, now I'm just drooling... I like it a LOT better when mod-developers are mysterious about their work :bomb: and won't tell us anything about them... :'( You've told me too much.  And I like the "spupclo" thing.

EDIT:  And has the RHW v.20a been canceled?  I see on the sticky post on top of every page taht it only shows version 20 and 21, but no 20a... ()what()
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

bakerton

Holy wowzers. Realistic, here we come. Alex, you have out done yourself big time. JKB
beam me up.... please!
I am the lurker that hides in all the corners and you can't get me out. You may try, but you can't.Please call me Jon or Jonathan.

TEG24601

INDOT has the same sort of connection if you are taking 70 through the city... It joins up with 65 on the south-side of downtown on the left, then within two miles, I-70 exits on the right, and I-65 exits on the right.  It wouldn't have been nearly as bad if I-69 had been completed downtown, because 1/3 of the traffic taking I-70 east are only doing so to get to 465 so they can get to I-69.

There is a similar thing on I-694 in MSP where is merges onto I-35W on the left, then in 1/2 mile, it exits again on the right.  Come to think if it, that happens several times in MSP.

However, there are some places where the right hand exit is straight, and the mainline curves off to the left, best example I can think of is the I-75/US-23 Split in Flint, MI.  That was my primary reason for the request, plus the HOV type exits or to create improved interchanges for large traffic volumes.

TEG

Tarkus

Quote from: nerdly_dood on May 31, 2008, 07:25:05 PM
EDIT:  And has the RHW v.20a been canceled?  I see on the sticky post on top of every page taht it only shows version 20 and 21, but no 20a... ()what()

The only really critical, functional thing that Version 20a was going to fix was the Rail-over-RHW-4 Puzzle Piece pathing, and I decided to release that as a standalone fix on May 12th, because I didn't want to hold that back any longer.  So that fix more or less made Version 20a unnecessary.  It was taking a longer-than-expected time to develop anyway, and kind of was morphing into Version 21.

And don't worry, there's lots of stuff that's still a complete mystery with Version 21.  Heck, even I don't know what all will be included. 

-Alex (Tarkus)

mightygoose

well your todo list is long enough to cover you probably through to version 30.... so take you pick :P
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Patricius Maximus

Quote from: Tarkus on June 01, 2008, 01:40:30 AM
And don't worry, there's lots of stuff that's still a complete mystery with Version 21.  Heck, even I don't know what all will be included.

Ha! I think you do. But don't tell us too much. Our nerves can't stand it  ;)

Tarkus

Quote from: Patricius Maximus on June 01, 2008, 03:52:42 AM
Ha! I think you do.

Well, I do know all that is in development currently.  The question is whether or not it will end up in Version 21 or a later release.   ;)  It ultimately depends on how things go in the process, and how much ends up getting "stockpiled".

Quote from: mightygoose on June 01, 2008, 01:46:39 AM
well your todo list is long enough to cover you probably through to version 30.... so take you pick :P

Quite true.  Heck, maybe even up to Version 33 or so. :D

-Alex (Tarkus)

Pat

Now Alex would that be v. 33 a, b or c lol

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Tarkus

Quote from: Pat on June 01, 2008, 08:14:42 PM
Now Alex would that be v. 33 a, b or c lol

Hopefully just Version 33 with no suffixes.  An a, b, or c implies a patch. ::)

-Alex (Tarkus)