• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patricius Maximus

Then our questions are answered. Not in v21  $%Grinno$%

However, I think it's for the best since 2-lane ramps have higher capacity anyway.

j-dub

Quote from: jplumbleyEach one of these things takes time to do.  Unfortunately, we are not full-time and paid for our efforts.  I would love to be a consultant for CitiesXL, or SimCity5, but thats not likely to ever happen.  So, we are stuck here doing things in our free time.

Wow, Jason you would actually work for EA? Thats suprising, but would be better for this franchise. If EA was smart, and wanted to keep its fans from switching to Monte Cristo, hiring you, maybe more SC4 loyalists, and planning out better transportation networks that can go absolutely any direction, just like CitiesXL would be a strategic, competitve advantage. I can imagine the RHW in a future SimCity game getting built by hand drawn, instead of dragged. But I don't have high hopes after Societies. Who knows, the SimCity made after Societies looked like the roads went anywhere, maybe they will get better. Although, I can't imagine how long it would take to do the NWM/RHW for a free hand direction road system like CitiesXL. You guys have modded so much, that its too bad we won't get to see this NWM stuff in a future city sim game. :(

Tarkus

Well, as far as the flyovers go, well, all you'd really need is an El-MIS with a ground-to-elevated transition of some sort, and MIS-over-RHW pieces.  That would effectively do it.

Quote from: Patricius Maximus on July 16, 2008, 07:45:35 AM
However, I think it's for the best since 2-lane ramps have higher capacity anyway.

Well, technically speaking, as far as the game is concerned, they have the same capacity. ;)

-Alex

nerdly_dood

Here's my take on network capacities.  Game mechanics is definitely a necessary factor in planning transit networks, but might I point out that some interchanges could use extra lanes, not because the game has to give each tile a set capacity, but because it would just look better to give some directions more capacity than others.

Take this interchange for example.  If I had left it as just a Y-stack, then the RHW-4 would only have one lane for each direction. When I added the bypass lanes, it has 6 lanes - four total for the express lanes, and 2 total for the ones that go straight through the interchange - a sort of abbreviated collector/distributor system.  Of course, the Y-stack does have functionality for the RHW-4 because buses going one way cannot use the road/subway transition (by Buddybud i think?) - or, should I call it the fake road tunnel? Okay, enough rambling... here's the interchange, looking west.

Here's a close-up of the northern end where the lanes merge:

This doesn't mean at all that I don't care about network capacities, but that's my two cents.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

Tarkus

Quote from: nerdly_dood on July 16, 2008, 12:29:56 PM
Here's my take on network capacities.  Game mechanics is definitely a necessary factor in planning transit networks, but might I point out that some interchanges could use extra lanes, not because the game has to give each tile a set capacity, but because it would just look better to give some directions more capacity than others.

Indeed.  That's why a lot of these options exist with the RHW and some of the future NWM networks (TLA-3, AVE-2, etc.). :)

-Alex (Tarkus)

Patricius Maximus

Well, I do know technically they have the same capacity. I'm more concerned with the visual traffic. More cars can fit on 2 lanes than 1.

However, I'm glad that the elevated networks are coming right along. We need them for some interchanges on the drawing board  ;)

halalpork

hi i have a slight problem in connecting the RHW to an avenue, one side of the connection works fine but the other seems misaligned?

videosean

Quote from: halalpork on July 24, 2008, 04:55:06 AM
hi i have a slight problem in connecting the RHW to an avenue, one side of the connection works fine but the other seems misaligned?
Try RHW->1wayRd->Ave  See Warrior's reply below... my mistake!

Jonathan

You are getting that because the RHW is going the wrong direction.
The cars would have a head on collison.

The wide shoulder needs to be on the outside.

Videosean: I was about to go back to the homepage, clueless and just happened to see the highway the wrong way round:)

halalpork

Quote from: Warrior on July 24, 2008, 05:10:54 AM
You are getting that because the RHW is going the wrong direction.
The cars would have a head on collison.

The wide shoulder needs to be on the outside.

Thanks for all the help.  :thumbsup: I've rotated the starter piece and it works! Still new to all these NAM pieces...

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

RHW development is back in business. :)

Here's a prototype texture of the new RHW-4-to-6C transition.  Or, technically, I should say one of the new RHW-4-to-6C transitions.

More to come shortly . . .

-Alex (Tarkus)

cape44

Awesome Tarkus! Can't wait to see more!
- cape44
My first tutorial on TSC.com Beware in french language!

Have a look at the NAM Thread ==>  NWM
My région : San Francisco & suburb... coming soon on tsc.com

JoeST

that is undoubtedly getting more and more amazing every time you update

what about having a version with oneside diagonal? (just an idea, not a request ;) )

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

girlfromverona

bat

That is looking really nice, Tarkus! And looking forward to more...

Patricius Maximus

I love it  &apls &apls &apls &apls

It looks almost like a RL widening. The RHW-6C may replace the Maxis highways, since it is similar (6 lanes, 2 tiles).

I also like the new textures. They're darker asphalt, which appears more realistic.

More's coming shortly? I'd like to see some more.. uh... samples of what's to come.

Simply put, great work!

deathtopumpkins

:thumbsup:
I love the smoothness of it, but do the dashed lines not seem to line up to anybody else?
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Haljackey

Wow, nice work as always Alex!  I like that the transition is gradual but not too  long.

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on July 28, 2008, 09:24:30 AM
I love the smoothness of it, but do the dashed lines not seem to line up to anybody else?

Its not supposed to line up.  The entire network is shifting left, even though the highway is adding another lane.  Take a look at how the right shoulder curves as well.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: Haljackey on July 28, 2008, 05:17:56 PM
Its not supposed to line up.  The entire network is shifting left, even though the highway is adding another lane.  Take a look at how the right shoulder curves as well.

I know, but what I meant is on the second dash down it seems to slant to the right, so it's not parallel with the shoulder, while the third one down is. It's just a minor thing though, nothing too important. They're still great textures!  &apls
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Tarkus

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!  I'm thrilled to be back getting the RHW going again.  :) 

To respond to a couple of comments/questions:

Quote from: Patricius Maximus on July 28, 2008, 06:29:36 AM
The RHW-6C may replace the Maxis highways, since it is similar (6 lanes, 2 tiles).

Actually, the RHW-6C is a 3-tile network, but it has 150% capacity compared to Maxis Highways, so that third tile doesn't go to waste.

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on July 28, 2008, 09:24:30 AM
do the dashed lines not seem to line up to anybody else?

I actually kind of noticed there was something a little eschew there myself . . . I haven't exported them into the 128x128 PNG squares yet, so I'll probably tweak the lines ever so slightly.  ;)

More RHW-6C-related stuff shortly . . . possibly some other stuff, too.

-Alex (Tarkus)