• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonshardz

just realized something: how are we going to have RHW10 bridges? And how will we do tunnels?

Tarkus

packersfan, those interchanges you've posted should theoretically be doable once the Elevated RHW is added in.  I am planning on having at least an Orthogonal-only Elevated RHW included as part of Version 21.  It's relatively easy to port any ground level pieces over to Elevated from a modding standpoint (RULs are exactly the same, paths just need have the height changed, which is very easy to do), but models need to be made.  

If people are willing to put up with my models for at least awhile, things could be expedited, though. ;)

dragonshardz, to answer your questions, I do have a basic concept of how RHW-10 bridges will work.  Tunnels, however, are hardcoded, and a workaround will have to be found--what exactly I'm not sure.

-Alex (Tarkus)

dragonshardz

maybe some sort of RHW10 to MHW adapter??

simzebu

Quote from: Tarkus on August 08, 2008, 01:02:14 PM
*snip*
If people are willing to put up with my models for at least awhile, things could be expedited, though. ;)
*snip*
Absa-friggin-lutely! I care more about getting the function than the appearance. As long as the models aren't covered in pink polka-dots or something.

Anyway, great work!
Known as Embolalia in numerous other places.

Penguins, Python, and Programming, oh my!

CasperVg

I would love it when your models would be used, they look pretty good as well  :D
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

Meastro444

Quote from: Tarkus on August 08, 2008, 01:02:14 PM
packersfan, those interchanges you've posted should theoretically be doable once the Elevated RHW is added in.  I am planning on having at least an Orthogonal-only Elevated RHW included as part of Version 21.  It's relatively easy to port any ground level pieces over to Elevated from a modding standpoint (RULs are exactly the same, paths just need have the height changed, which is very easy to do), but models need to be made.  

<snip>

-Alex (Tarkus)
i am willing to try and model a piece. i have no experience at all, so this could be a nice start for me. ill be modeling in sketchup Pro, as this is (for now) the easiest way for me.

ill show something later today.
Friend of the Certified Drama Queen :)

gn_leugim

that's good news tarkus   :thumbsup: (about my ideia and all that came up after)  :satisfied:

Meastro444

Well then:

Out of scale, no textures at all, nowhere near finished, but here is my first try in modeling:

What do you think of it?

Its a 2-tile piece, if the NAM-team agrees. For the one tile piece i plan to decrease the arch length to make it 16m meters.

I have also i a question: the Road puzzle pieces have textures depending on the roadtexture mod you have installed; I have absolutely no idea how i can accomplish that.
Exporting to *.3ds will not be a problem.

regards

Meastro444

Edit: Additional info, and improved the readability.
Friend of the Certified Drama Queen :)

allan_kuan1992

well... models are supposed to fit on only one tile. We are using draggable override technology btw, not puzzle pieces, so I don't see how this might work out.

- Allan Kuan

dragonshardz

just divide the model in 1/2 and use it in each 16x16m tile so that it looks like that.

Tarkus

Meastro, that's a great first try at modeling!   :thumbsup:

As far as the format goes, allan_kuan is right--the models need to fit within a 16m by 16m square--I wrote up a little bit about the specifications for modeling for transit networks here.  I would also recommend that the models are symmetrical and more or less conform to the same format as the ground-based network.  Otherwise, it could potentially complicate the modding process a great deal.  Even something like the reflectors on the texture set in Version 20 caused a lot of difficulties from that standpoint.

I've messed around a little in SketchUp myself (only the free version, though), and I've found it seems to work fairly well with the Reader's built-in S3D/3DS Mesh conversion, which doesn't really work with Gmax or Blender, or even 3ds Max from what I've seen.

Anyways, more development screenies . . . I managed to get a basic Orthogonal prototype of the RHW-3 working, more or less.

With the paths . . .

Back with more in a little bit. :)

-Alex (Tarkus)

metasmurf

Nice work there Tarkus  :thumbsup:

I wonder, is it possible to do a "2+1" thingy? We have them here in Sweden

Originally, these roads were 13 meters wide main roads, but with some paint and railing they were converted in to 2+1 roads. It's quite cheap and increases security.

Thus, railing and one lane going back and forth would be cool

deathtopumpkins

Nice! That is looking really good! I do have one suggestion, though: Make the double yellow lines a few pixels closer.
Is that a 2-tile network? Hmm... I thought we could fit three lanes in one tile...

Speaking of pathing, I have another pathing-related problem, this time with MIS.
I had a simple RHW diamond interchange (a block south of the last problem one coincidently), where I recently added frontage roads along the avenue going through the diamond, and when I drew the MIS ramps on each side through the OWR, people stopped using the interchange, so I turned the Draw Paths cheat on again, and I noticed the paths are incorrect for OWR/MIS.

They should be mirrored right there, as it looks currently like you can turn right onto the MIS, while it should be left turn only.

Any ideas?
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

allan_kuan1992

metasmurf:
I'm confused about what you're asking. However, Tarkus will surely provide transitions from two lanes to one and vice versa.

deathtopumpkins:
it's a two-tile network, due to the width of the lanes (this is to make it realistic). As well, this will be functional eyecandy with a game capacity of a 4-lane network.

tarkus:
Looking good there. I wonder if making the RHWMIS into a RHW1 would actually create a second solution to three-laned highways.

- Allan Kuan

metasmurf

Quote from: allan_kuan1992 on August 10, 2008, 12:11:00 AM
metasmurf:
I'm confused about what you're asking. However, Tarkus will surely provide transitions from two lanes to one and vice versa.
- Allan Kuan

What I asked is whether rails could be added as well as transitions from two to one.  ;) I don't know if you have rails on 2+1 in the U.S so perhaps there could be an U.S and a Euro version.

Tarkus

metasmurf, to answer your question, it could be done.  It's just a matter of adding T21s for the guardrails.  :)

DTP:  I'll have to take a look at those paths.  I believe I may have a fixed path sitting on my HD, but I'll have to check.

Quote from: allan_kuan1992 on August 10, 2008, 12:11:00 AM
it's a two-tile network, due to the width of the lanes (this is to make it realistic). As well, this will be functional eyecandy with a game capacity of a 4-lane network.

Well, actually, while it is a 2-tile network, it's set up just like the RHW-6S, so the second tile adds no extra capacity.  It's really got the same theoretical capacity of an RHW-2.

-Alex

TEG24601

Quote from: Kitsune on August 08, 2008, 12:20:36 PM
Thats not quite what I ment, I ment a exit and onramp coming from a RHW4,6, etc, instead of having of having to place two seperate ramps. It would really help making tight parclos.

So what you want is an equivalent to the European Offramps for the Maxis Highway network but for the RHW?  It would be nice, and save a lot of work trying to get the grading right.  In fact, a few simple prefab interchanges would be nice on the whole.  Like one half of a diamond, or a nice 6 ramp parclo.  The current ramps make it a mind numbing process to build some of interfaces we see everyday, and some simple templates (either functional ramps, or devices to set the proper slopes) would be greatly appreciated.

TEG

JoeST

Tarkus, that is looking damn brilliant :)

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

bat

Yes, that's looking really nice, Tarkus! :thumbsup: ;)

Tarkus

Finally getting around to these . . . I know some have been waiting for them for awhile.

Still need to get the Rotation/Flipping stuff right on them, but it's a start.

-Alex (Tarkus)