• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Lightning

SPUI means Single Point Urban Interchange (hover over the text ;) )
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

jmvl

A single-point urban interchange (SPUI) is a special type of a motorway on/off-ramp, mostly used in urban areas in North America. You can read more about it here.

Ryan B.

Wow, Alex!  Nice work on the underpass SPUI.

Now let's see an overpass one.  :P

Ramona Brie

I must say that I like the single-tile 4-lane highway. That'd be a good cheap option for upgrading two-lane roads in urban areas.

woodb3kmaster

A SPUI?! My RHW dreams are coming true before my very eyes! Fantastic work, Alex! I can't wait to put this new feature to use.

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

KoV Liberty

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

metasmurf

Quote from: Tracker on July 19, 2009, 12:23:20 PM
I must say that I like the single-tile 4-lane highway. That'd be a good cheap option for upgrading two-lane roads in urban areas.

That's why I requested it. There's been several wide 2 lane roads being converted into 4lane urban roads with only a line as seperator in my hometown. There are even cheap "motorways" like this, 16m wide without shoulders, but with railing in the middle.

Tarkus

Quote from: Ryan B. on July 19, 2009, 12:15:51 PM
Now let's see an overpass one.  :P

I still need to make a few additional puzzle pieces to connect everything up on the Avenue end, but here you go. :)

I can confirm will be a few different SPUI pieces included with RHW Version 4, as will the DDI (Diverging Diamond Interchange) piece I showed awhile back.

joelyboy911 and riiga, you guys have outdone yourselves again!  Those textures are looking spectacular!

And metasmurf, it's funny you bring up a "medianless" RHW-4 . . . I happened to be playing around with this the other day.

It's basically aligned so as to act as an overhang, ala the RHW-3 and the new implementation for the RHW-6S, except on both sides.  I came up with it in thinking about having "auxiliary lanes" on the RHW-2 for ramps.  We've also got these on high-volume mountainous highways here in Oregon (namely US-26 going over the Coast Range toward Seaside and Cannon Beach).

-Alex

joelyboy911

Quote from: Tarkus on July 19, 2009, 08:48:15 PM
joelyboy911 and riiga, you guys have outdone yourselves again!  Those textures are looking spectacular!

I don't remember doing anything new, but thanks!  :P

However, I do want to get to work on something else. Are there wide radius curves already in existence for MIS? I would like to see a 2x2 and maybe some of 3x3, 4x4, and 5x5 90 degree turns. I think the present draggable diagonal transition is OK but while I'm at it I can easy enough whip some of those up. I would also need to know which textures to look at in reader, or have attached some new ones if this is applicable.

I have sort of come to the end of my ideas as far as new puzzle piece textures goes, I think so if anyone has some good ideas, I would be glad to hear them. I could also work on RHW-3 and any other things, if my input is wanted by the RHW team. (However my holidays just finished, so my free time is limited once again.

I was also wondering, is that Medianless RHW-4 (Tarkus's) on two tiles? And is it absolutely, totally, 100% impossible to get extra capacity into a single tile?
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

Ryan B.

I really, really need to get SimCity back so that I'll be able to use this wonderful stuff, Alex.

Say, it looks like I need to update the SPUI signal I did:

wes.janson

Quote from: joelyboy911 on July 19, 2009, 09:11:07 PM

However, I do want to get to work on something else. Are there wide radius curves already in existence for MIS? I would like to see a 2x2 and maybe some of 3x3, 4x4, and 4x4 90 degree turns. I think the present draggable diagonal transition is OK but while I'm at it I can easy enough whip some of those up. I would also need to know which textures to look at in reader, or have attached some new ones if this is applicable.

I might be wrong, but didn't David (dedgren) whip up a 90 degree MIS texture?

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!

deathtopumpkins

MIS smooth curves have already been done in 45 and 90 degrees, and I believe S-curves. But not in the different sizes mentioned.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

joelyboy911

What size 90 degree pieces have been done?
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

deathtopumpkins

I'm not sure the dimensions as they're not in the alpha build I have.  ;) Have to wait for Alex to answer that.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Tarkus

Quote from: joelyboy911 on July 19, 2009, 09:11:07 PM

The diagonal roundabout entrance. :) 

The 90-degree MIS curve that is completed is a 5x5, the same dimensions as the Road Wide Radius Curve puzzle piece.  There's a 2x2 currently in the works as well.  They were built using special models developed by smoncrie that bend the orthogonal texture into a curve, which you can learn more about here.

And as far as the Medianless RHW-4 I showed, it is a 1-tiler with an overhang on each side, and if implemented as an RHW-based puzzle drag override, it'd have the same capacity as an RHW-2.

-Alex

joelyboy911

QuoteThe diagonal roundabout entrance.   

Oh yeah. I must have forgotten!  :D

So theoretically using that method, (the link didn't really tell me about how it was done, btw) the only textures needed are the base, and intersections for a new network, the rest can be made by bending the base? That is cool.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

MandelSoft

How about puzzle-piece-based accelleration/decelleration lanes for the RHW, which you can plop on the existing RHW, just like Dedgren's Rural Roads.

RHW-4 Splitter

RHW-6S

RHW-8 Splitter
(The arrows are optional)

Or how about a lane reduction arrow?

Maybe this can be an interresting idea for the RHW...

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

WC_EEND

RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

riiga

Nice SPUI Alex!  &apls

And I like your idea Maarten!  :thumbsup:

Anyway, here's the Euro verison of joelyboy911's RHW roundabout:

Feel free to suggest changes or improvements to any of my textures.

- riiga