• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thornyjohny

Quote from: jdenm8 on July 23, 2011, 06:43:29 AM
Quote from: thornyjohny on July 23, 2011, 06:21:05 AMWill there be a Maxis Highway/RHW-6 transition?
No.
Is that another one of those "unsolvable" problems?
The Maxis Highway/RHW-4 transition isn't realistic, and it creates a bottleneck. I was really hoping for a fix in the next RHW. :(

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: thornyjohny on July 23, 2011, 10:47:19 AM
Is that another one of those "unsolvable" problems?

The problem is that the models for MHWs are far too complex to work with, which is also why there's very few new pieces for MHW.

It's doable, but the process of making such pieces is time-consuming.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Tarkus

A large part of the problem is the scale differences.  The Maxis Highway lanes are less than 9 feet wide, averaging 8.75 feet.  Most road standards at least in the US mandate a 10-foot minimum just for local side streets--the design speed on a Maxis Highway in RL would probably be about 15-20mph ::) (25-30km/h for ye metric folks).  The RHW lanes, even narrowed down a bit in V5, are around 14 feet, within established parameters for highways/freeways/motorways (most standards specifying 12-15-foot lanes).  In other words, the Maxis Highway lanes are about five-eighths (62.5%) of the width of an RHW lane. 

Using that 8.75ft. figure, 3 lanes of Maxis Highway = 26.25 feet.  2 lanes of RHW = 28 feet, and 3 lanes of RHW = 42 feet.
As a result, it's never going to be a very smooth transition between the two. 

-Alex

smartbylaw

About the traffic signal how about only one mast with diagonal lights. As Blue said we have one of these i Columbus, Ohio and there is only one traffic mast with all of the traffic lights on it. Here is a link to it:

http://maps.google.com/?ll=40.108472,-83.091912&spn=0.002433,0.006824&t=k&z=18&layer=c&cbll=40.108667,-83.090879&panoid=eCY-KxBMPFETOHuPqbyINQ&cbp=12,348.46,,0,-4.78

Tarkus

That sort of setup could prove problematic given how both FlexSPUI and T21s work.  The middle section of FlexSPUIs are made from a single, modular repeated "extender" piece, and the number of sections can vary.  Additionally, there's the possibility of a FlexSPUI setup that doesn't have the "extenders".  The existing T21 signal setup we have doesn't really suffer from any of those issues.

Edit: And this works now, too.

-Alex

jdenm8

Not to mention that because Maxis botched the Traffic Light system in SC4, the lights for the Right turn (Left in RHD) will be perpetually green, regardless of what the main traffic flow's state is.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

smartbylaw

Well could we have a ploppable street traffic light? maybe an overhang lot? Just a thought.

jdenm8

Any ploppable traffic light, regardless of type, will not function as a traffic light. It will only be eyecandy and have no function whatsoever.

Besides that, ploppable traffic lights are LOTs, which are outside the scope of the NAM team.

The setup that will be included is more prototypical to what is seen internationally (Australia, Europe, etc) rather than the unworkable occasional US usage.

As well as that, the way we do have it can be converted to LHD, US single-bar implementations just don't without modifying the model.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

dragonshardz

Wow, it's been a while. Good to see development is still going strong.

ivo_su

Quote from: Tarkus on July 23, 2011, 05:22:10 PM

And is it possible to work and RHW-8c. I've seen that works with the RHW-6c and the middle section  there  is the same  and I guess  that should not be a problem in 8-C.

- Ivo

Shadow Assassin

QuoteAnd is it possible to work and RHW-8c. I've seen that works with the RHW-6c and the middle section  there  is the same  and I guess  that should not be a problem in 8-C.

It works with 8C.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

ivo_su

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on July 24, 2011, 04:25:47 AM
QuoteAnd is it possible to work and RHW-8c. I've seen that works with the RHW-6c and the middle section  there  is the same  and I guess  that should not be a problem in 8-C.

It works with 8C.
This is great news for me. Thank you for your  answer  SA.

Kuewr665

Because DDRHW-8 is a priority, will there be an ERHW-8?

Tarkus

Quote from: Kuewr665 on July 24, 2011, 09:24:53 AM
Because DDRHW-8 is a priority, will there be an ERHW-8?

There will be, but not in Version 5.0.  I'd imagine the DDRHW-8 will probably come around the same time we add ERHW-8S, though.

Quote from: ivo_su on July 24, 2011, 05:49:41 AM
Quote from: Shadow Assassin on July 24, 2011, 04:25:47 AM

It works with 8C.
This is great news for me. Thank you for your  answer  SA.

In fact, the only RHW networks right now that Elevated FlexSPUI does not support are the RHW-3 and the MIS.

-Alex

kings_niners

DDRHW-8? Have we already forgotten Loma Prieta? :D Great work on the development Nam Team!!!

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: kings_niners on July 25, 2011, 05:30:18 PM
DDRHW-8? Have we already forgotten Loma Prieta? :D Great work on the development Nam Team!!!

You HAD to bring that up... For those who know your California history, there was a segment of double-decker bridge that collapsed during that quake.

The question is, how are you gonna reconstruct THAT in SC4? You can't build two bridges side-by-side... At least, you can't do it the conventional way... ::)

And to answer your question, I clearly haven't. :P
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Exla357

I am truly astonished to see future plans for elevated networks! Just the ERHW 8 alone is quite a feat! Literally hundreds, maybe thousands of possibly overpass configurations, including diagonals, all on a 2 tile network! I commend each and every one of you NAM team members, not just on what you're doing for the RHW, but the NWM, SAM, HSRP, RAM, T-RAM, and everything else.

In fact, I propose that the community here at SC4D honor a new holiday, NAM Day  &hlp
NAM Day will be the date of the NAM 30 release (whenever that may be) and we shall all in whatever manner we see fit! The home page will have a banner that says "Happy NAM day! Come celebrate with us!" What do you say?

-Alex  ;)

ivo_su

Totally agree with you  Alex. Your idea of  ​​ celebrating Day of the NAM is great and I fully support. I can not wait to start the festivities celebrating the  NAM Day.  &hlp &hlp &hlp

Regards,
Ivo

apeguy

Will there be bridges for any additional RHW networks besides RHW4 and RHW2 included in the v5 release?

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

Tarkus

Quote from: apeguy on July 26, 2011, 02:52:10 PM
Will there be bridges for any additional RHW networks besides RHW4 and RHW2 included in the v5 release?

There will be a DDRHW-4 bridge in V5.  As far as other networks, that depends, and I can't really give a definitive answer.  We have quite a few laying around for awhile in a semi-complete stage.  We'll have to look over them again to see how feasible a release is.  We'll also have to figure out how best to package them. 

-Alex