• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thornyjohny

Quote from: Korot on November 07, 2011, 02:45:10 PM
Many bad words have been said, trying to get an interchange to work.  ::)
Regards,
Korot

Especially when it all starts to come together... and then it crashes in your face.

metarvo

Wow, could it possibly be a draggable diagonal MIS overpass?  :)
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Tarkus

Quote from: metarvo on November 08, 2011, 05:21:20 AM
Wow, could it possibly be a draggable diagonal MIS overpass?  :)

Well, aside from the ones over other override-based RHW networks, they've always been draggable since they were added in Version 4.0.  It's the ones over override-based RHW networks (e.g. EMIS-over-RHW-4) that have been the problem, and that's largely because of the inability to stabilize them, due to how Individual Network RULs handle multiple same-network diagonal intersections next to one another.

-Alex

ivo_su

What is the  obstacle preventing the  dragable network to pass  over the puzzle pieces? This is only because RUL's  shortcomings or is simply impossible and is associated with the game EXE file ?

Tarkus

It's a shortcoming with how the RULs handles same-network DxD intersections.  With two different networks involved, the RUL flags (in RUL1 SENW format) is some rotation of 0x00030100,0x03010000.  As you can see, there's an "interlock" on the second byte flag--with the first network, the flag is 03, and on the second, the flag is 01.  Because there's two different networks involved in a RUL1 multi-network situation, the RULs can handle (and expect) this "interlock". 

But the Individual Network RULs (INRULs) cannot, as you're only dealing with one network.  You end up with 0x03??0100 . . . the question mark flag could be either an 01 or an 03 and really needs to be both to achieve the same result as the multi-network situation.  But there's no byte flag corresponding to a combination of 01 and 03, and thus, no way to resolve the intersection.  So the INRULs resolve to the next closest thing--try overriding this colossal mess:

It gets messier and messier and more unpredictable as you add more diagonal RHW stretches into the situation, making the prospect of an ERHW-6C diagonally crossing an RHW-6C insanely difficult.  The same goes for an AVE-6 diagonally crossing another AVE-6 . . . the problem also exists with the Road network (though it is compounded on the RHW side by the unshakeable "auto-connect").

Vince and I have both played around with the INRULs to see if we can force this mess into something easier . . . Vince has had some success using them to override a couple configurations of DxD mess--but it only in some limited situations and typically involves a little "clickaround" to snap things into place.  We've been discussing workarounds for awhile now.  Ideally, it'd be nice to figure out a non-workaround solution since this is the most "natural" way from a gameplay standpoint, but we may have no other option.

-Alex

metarvo

OK, now I see.  If worst comes to worst, though, there will at least be the DxD puzzle pieces, won't there?
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

fgossage

I accidently stumbled upon this today while looking for information about DDIs in real-life. It's a DDI / roundabout hybrid, it seems, that completely eliminates the need for traffic lights. Maybe an idea for a future interchange type at some point down the line, if there's enough interest?

What do you guys think?
Fred Gossage
Pell City, Alabama

Tarkus

Actually, what you're looking at there is your standard Dumbbell Interchange--basically, a diamond variant that uses roundabouts for the ramp junctions with the surface street.

-Alex

fgossage

Fred Gossage
Pell City, Alabama

Haljackey

Quote from: Tarkus on November 09, 2011, 01:11:26 PM
Actually, what you're looking at there is your standard Dumbbell Interchange--basically, a diamond variant that uses roundabouts for the ramp junctions with the surface street.

-Alex

Interestingly enough, I've classified it as a Raindrop interchange.

I've created a guide how to make such a junction in the RHW Interchange Guide. If interested, you an view it here: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=6843.msg320402#msg320402

art128

I seriously don't know is this last real intersection is funny, strange or scary..  :o Or maybe the three at once?  ()what()  :P
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Rady

Quote from: fgossage on November 09, 2011, 12:49:04 PM

What do you guys think?

I think the plans where to simply build a roundabout, but then the building worker seemingly suffered from a severe hangover ..  :P
If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.

Visit my BAT thread: Slow BAT steady - Rady's first BAT attemtps

Tarkus

Quote from: Rady on November 09, 2011, 02:26:42 PM
I think the plans where to simply build a roundabout, but then the building worker seemingly suffered from a severe hangover ..  :P

Actually, it seems to have been engineered to prevent traffic from going the wrong way down the on/offramps.

-Alex

kj3400

Quote from: Tarkus on November 09, 2011, 04:08:17 PM
Quote from: Rady on November 09, 2011, 02:26:42 PM

Actually, it seems to have been engineered to prevent traffic from going the wrong way down the on/offramps.

-Alex

If they had to do that, it sounds like they have bigger problems. :P
I think I've been here long enough, call me Kenneth/Kenny.
Visit

The Commonwealth of Paradise at ST

The Commonwealth of Paradise at SC4 Wiki

Ramona Brie

Dumbbells are getting popular in AZ. Examples: Interstate 17 and Happy Valley Road, Phoenix (also includes access to a frontage road) and Loop 202 and Brown Road, McKellips Road in Mesa (very well-signed, and the signage looks quasi-British with the chevrons). The latter has the freeway at an odd (30°) angle with the roadway at both exits.

Conversely, parclo and cloverleaf loops are an endangered species. Deer Valley Road at I-17 is an example; one loop remains of the two in the A-4 parclo (EB to SB), but the rest is a diamond. I-19 and Ajo Way (SR 86) is also an A-4 parclo, though it is complete.

AZ has quite a few SPUIs, too.

pimmapman

That's a new puzzle piece that would be nice in RHW. A flexraindrop piece.

Wiimeiser

You could just use a Roundabout to Ave-2 piece that doesn't allow crossing and allow MIS to join roundabouts.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

thornyjohny

MandelSoft

^^ It is used as a filler piece between two RHW-3 transistions.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Wiimeiser

Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...