• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albus of Garaway

I agree with Fabian. Why in the world would anyone want CXL after looking at these pictures!

sithlrd98

I have nothing to add......words fail in describing how awesome those pics look!  &apls

Jayson

Battlecat

Gorgeous!  Just pure beauty there! 

So we're going to have access to the dashed and solid line textures in the next release.  That begs the question, will these road textures have the 5 tile stability issue, or is there some method floating around for splashing in these dashed lines?  Whatever, the case, these are a superb addition to the game! 

nerdly_dood

Quote from: Albus of Garaway on August 27, 2009, 06:37:29 AMWhy in the world would anyone want CXL after looking at these pictures!

Well... um, i think it's supposed to have a 3D graphics engine... and ... maybe more versatile terrain... but that's about it! ;D

Marvelous textures David!
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

ldvger

Great work on the roads, David, can't wait to get my hands on them.  I've been doing some very slow and frustrating road building in my MD over the past couple of days, mixing up Maxis roads with FAR stuff and while the end result is quite good, it takes some time to get things laid down right.  Still, it's worth the effort to be able to build something much more realistic than the Maxis roads alone allow us.

Keep up the good work!   :thumbsup:

Lora/LD

dragonshardz

ldvger, you know what worse than making roads? Terraforming the ground for an eventual 10-lane highway that goes down a mountain and then trying to draw RHW-4 only to get told "unsuitable grade for construction" even though a road does fine.

Grrrr!

OK. Rant mode off....

David, the RealRoads look great and I can't wait to get my hands on them!

bakerton

I just picked myself off the floor after looking at those totally awesome pictures of the RealRoads. Did I see correctly that the next NAM will be a stunner. If it is, it won't be a stunner, it will be a major killer stunner. JKB
beam me up.... please!
I am the lurker that hides in all the corners and you can't get me out. You may try, but you can't.Please call me Jon or Jonathan.

bob56

GREAT WORK!!! I've been away from here for a while (school...) but this is just amazing!! I can't wait to have this! The coloring is just so..real :D

Nice work! Also, just noticed you're less than 800 views away from 400k! Congrats &apls

--Grif
You can call me Grif

--Currently out of the office, will resume SC4 7/19

BigSlark

Absolutely, fantastically amazing work, David.  &apls

Cheers,
Kevin

MandelSoft

Wait a second...

Congratulations with 400K views!

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

JoeST

Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

dedgren

Roll on, old odometer, roll on!

Heh!  And it's not even the end of the month yet.

Thanks so much, folks.  Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

JoeST

Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Ryan B.

Congratulations on another odometer rollover, David!

dedgren

It's coming on fall pretty hard here now.

The fireweed has all bloomed and fuzzed out - a sure sign.

The remnant snows of last winter will soon be joined by new.

Working on RealRoads stuff this evening.  Progress pics as there's... progress.

Have a great end of August weekend!

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

sithlrd98

Still have a while till fall here! It is still 75 degrees at 1:00 AM  :) Can't wait to see some more progress pics!

Jayson

ldvger

David-

We are seeing signs of impending autumn here in Seattle, too, and it bums me out something awful.  I love the fall color, but it means winter is coming and spending another winter unemployed may be the end of me.  So far it's just the small trees that are just beginning to turn, but the vine maples, which are native here (and there?) start coloring in July, so they are well on thier way already.  There is a small one directly across the street from me and while it's very pretty in it's fall coat, it depresses me to no end to see it every day.  It's begun to drop it's leaves, as have some of the other trees in the area, so the sound of leaf blowers, which I have always hated (I am very sensitive to high-frequency noise...I can sometimes hear lightbulbs and dog whistles), has become part of the ambient sounds of the neighborhood.  I am thankful that the resident in charge of keeping up our building's sidewalks prefers rakes and brooms to leaf blowers and vacuums.  How did neighborhoods survive before the advent of power gardening tools?  And while the operators of those tools wear noise dampening head gear, what about the residents subjected to the noise?  Must we keep earplugs handy?

Lora/LD, feeling a little grouchy this evening I guess

superhands

well i'd say we have just entered spring down under :P three or four days ago. the grape vines have just started forming leaves...

looks like the plants have it down to a fine art of timing on both sides of the globe.

-dave

wes.janson

Luckliy for us, Vancouver is still in one the best summers as long as I can remember. Rarely dips below 25 degrees (Celcius) and I think it's rained half a dozen times since May.

Though we rarely get the fall colours anyway. Everything here (except maybe the poplars) just turns brown or is an evergreen.

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!

ldvger

This is only a little bit off topic, being as David raised the subject of impending autumn, but with other folks continuing the thread, I thought I'd chime in again with a little bit of science/botony information. 

Most folks think that plants change colors in the fall due to shorter days and colder temperatures.  In fact, shoter days/less light has nothing to do with why plants change color and falling temps only play a very small roll.  What actually triggers the plants to begin to change colors is longer periods of time without light, i.e. longer nights.  Many studies have been done to prove this in which "daylight" hours were maintained at a constant number and "night" hours were varied, and vice versa.  Plants exposed to increasing night hours would always begin the process of coloring up (if that was what the species did, obviously) and plants exposed to decresing night hours would begin the process of new spring growth.  What happens when plants encounter these changes in night hours can actually be thought of as "waking up" and "going to sleep" (unless they are annuals, in which case they die in the fall after having, hopefully, reseeded themselves).  Plants begin to withdraw thier energy making mechanisms deeper into thier bodies when the nights start getting longer and this is what causes them to take on fall color.  The fall color is actually there all year round but is overwhelmed by the green of the leaf cells that contain the chorophyll that in turn creates the food the plant makes for itself.  As night get longer, the plant starts sending it's chlorophyll deeper into it's body to protect it against winter, thereby leaving the other colors the opportunity to then become seen and more prominant than the green.  Plants that don't take on fall color do this, too, just not to the same degree.  Evergreens send thier chorophyll into thier bodies, too. 

Plants are fascinating life forms...I think of them as "the green people".  If you haven't yet, find a copy of and read "The Secret Lives of Plants".  It'll change how you think of them forever, I promise you.

Lora/LD