• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

HRW (Hybrid Railway) - Development and Support

Started by Ulisse Wolf, August 20, 2021, 04:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulisse Wolf

HRW (Hybrid Railway) is the component that unites the monorail with the heavy railway. This new component will allow a connection between RRW (Real Railway) and the future RHSR (Real High Speed Rail)

Please read this post first before asking questions, but if the answer is not here feel free to ask.

FAQ

Where can I find a tutorial to understand how this network works?

Here

Can I connect this network with the current HSRP?

You can do this but it is not recommended as the transition graphics are missing and HRSP is now considered a legacy component and will be replaced by RHSR (no date available for the release of the RHSR)

Ulisse Wolf

eggman121

First of all thanks ulisse99 for starting this thread up :thumbsup:

So, Been a while for new updates to the HRW on my end. I will add what the structure will be for the RRW, HRW and upcoming RHSR here.

Real Railway Project.

Apart from a reskin there will be limited updates to this network. The scope of the mod means that Catenaries are not feasble on this network and can serve as UN-electified Rails as you would see in rural parts.

Hybrid Railway.

There will be short term major updates to this network to include more switches and crossing pieces.

Some of the things that are possible are the following...

L1 and L2 crossing over other networks.

New specialized crossing pieces in OxO S and OxD setups at L0 X L1 and L0 X L2.

FARR pieces starting with FA2 alt.

New switch pieces... The B2 small is shown below... More will follow.

As you may notice I have converted Uki-san's &apls Japanese style poles to True 3D. I will be releasing the specifications of the poles for other modelers to make there own and export either to true 3d or BAT. The network will have both.

In addition the switches will have embedded signals for when a Train uses the piece. (Yes the lights are animated  ;) )

Improvements to the underlying RUL2 code... So I have made some of the falsies legacy. So any Prebuilt HRW will still function. But the new pieces will have the new falsie standards.

Longer FLEX pieces

More Level and overpass Crossings.

An update to the textures. Big shout out to Ron with his GoFSH tool.

So there is a bit of new content coming online.

As for the RHSR. I want to get the HRW up and running well first so the introduction of the RHSR can be easily be intergrated.

For now, I am open to request for pieces to be converted from RRW to HRW. Please let me know the piece by placing a picture or the naming the Rail piece and I will convert it over.

exciting times.

-eggman121

Girafe

Amazing work Stephen. Always glad to see more stuff added for train  :)
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

Tyberius06

Quote from: eggman121 on September 04, 2021, 01:56:25 PM
First of all thanks ulisse99 for starting this thread up :thumbsup:

So, Been a while for new updates to the HRW on my end. I will add what the structure will be for the RRW, HRW and upcoming RHSR here.

Real Railway Project.

Apart from a reskin there will be limited updates to this network. The scope of the mod means that Catenaries are not feasble on this network and can serve as UN-electified Rails as you would see in rural parts.

-eggman121

Stephen, nice to see these plans. Thanks for that!  :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: &apls &apls

I would have a few Q about the future of RRW.

- I think I saw path for L1 STR, but nothing else. Are you planing to give support for L1 STR?

- L1-L2 height transition Ramp support?

- Further L1 and L2 over x other networks supports (OxO, DxO, OxD, DxD). I know Flann started working on some of them. For example:
                                      - L1/L2 RRW over L0/L1 HRW
                                      - L1 ERRW under El-Rail
                                      - L1 ERRW under L2 ERRW
                                      - If there was L1 STR, then of course L1 STR under L2 DTR ERRW

- Are further L1 and/or L2 ERRW turnouts and switches being planned? I'm thinking about the followings:
                                      - R3 R2 DTR compound turnout (R3 R2 STR compound turnout if there was an L1 STR ERRW)
                                      - DTR ortho and diagonal S curves (if there was STR then for it as well)
                                      - DTR double dual crossover
                                      - A2 Dual between two DTR networks
                                      - (If there was STR ERRW then A1 DTR branching off STR and A1 STR (type 1) turnout)
                                      - L1 and/or L2 MRCs (I'm half serious, I can imagine how hard it would be with all the required model works...)
                     I know that these can be achieved with the regular terrain elevations, but those are eating up too much space sometimes. At least the DTR double dual crossover and the A1 dual between two DTR networks would be great. I could imagine the rest as part of the HRW expansion if you are going on that way, that RRW is more likely for rural and HRW is more likely for urban set-ups.

As for HRW wishlist:

- L1 curves/MRCs

- L0 and L1 switches:
                             - R3 R2 DTR compound turnout (see later point but this would be a great addition to get QTR and/TTR set-ups from a turnout like this)
                             - diagonal S curves
                             - diagonal switches
                             - DTR double dual crossover
                             - A2 Dual between two DTR networks

- the expansion of the already introduced "QTR" (and the showed but not fully implemented - during the first pre NAM v38 test season - "TTR" set-ups), with curves (MRCs) switches/turnouts and their L1 viaduct version. This could do some amazing urban viaduct rail set-ups...

- HRW over all the GLR stuffs: GLR, TIA, TIR, TOR, TIS (I know that first actually the GLR stuffs should be facelifted, but since I'm using many-many GLR and other GLR based dual networks, in my cities this kind of support would be essential.)

- El-Rail over L0 and L1 HRW.

- MHO over L0 and/or L1 HRW.

- small turnouts between HRW tracks (like what we have with the RRW as FLEX pieces) without the STR offshoot, though maybe with DTR offshoot. And this set-up for L1 HRW too. ;)

Sorry, I know it's too much, though I thought I would share a few ideas...

- Tibi
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

LucarioBoricua

For the time being, these would be my Hybrid Railway development requests based on existing RRW features:

noahclem

Couldn't have hoped for a more pleasant surprise checking the forums today  :bnn:

Awesome developments shared here on the project--perhaps/probably the most exciting for me in recent times. On top of the options being exciting everything just always looks so beautiful in this project (kudos on conversion to true 3d on the cats, btw, not to mention signal gantry business).

I'd agree with both your own statement of prioritization and later suggestions from others that FA alignments and curves would be very high priority. Given the network's high speed though, I'd add the suggestion of FA6 being a very desirable option. Furthermore, and I apologize for my well-known and annoyingly-repeated fixation on this topic, any wider-radius curves between any angles would be a godsend.

On to requested screenies and resultant requests:

A: More grade-separated crossings would be awesome in any flavor. It would seem that conventional OxD crossings with potential automata jumping aren't going to be in the cards--though that would indeed make an awesome and difficult-to-object-to feature for discreet RHSRxRRW. I daren't hope but wouldn't object to a sudden change in policy here re DxO RRWxRRW, HRWxRRW, or even HRWxHRW.

B: Elevated curves would be sweet to have even if modeling hassle precludes their practicality or priority.

C: Underground rail-style options (and portals) for HRW or anything supporting monorail automata would be great to see given the inability of that network to use functional conventional tunnels. On-slope options would be an extra bonus. I'd personally be quite happy with just old-school puzzle piece-based options in the area and am unfamiliar with the mechanics of recent RHW/subway/FLUP developments but the latter could be an option if it seemed a practical way to go; a key thing for me would be maintaining network speed and automata (or even UDI?) pass-through.

D: Your ingenious OxD rail solution deserves much praise. To add functionality though, it would be great to have an option for the divergent diagonal rails to segue into a curve to ortho and/or FA2 etc. Doubtless easier implemented at L0. An option to continue at the wide-spaced alignment would also be cool and would present neat station opportunities.
One thing I've been thinking about here for some time is whether the orthogonal rails need to diverge at all in this setup to accomplish the lack of path jumping magic. These thoughts apply to RRW, HRW, and RHSR, excepting presumably RRWxRHSR.

E: One of the coolest features and perhaps best surprise regarding HRW is the asymmetric alignment option and associated very-high-speed turnout. A similar option where the straight set of rails is aligned conventionally at the center of the tile but with the deviating lines in adjacent tile asymmetric position would be great

F: Single track turnouts would be awesome, ideally with relatively high-speed geometry. Bonus points for STR turnout from asymmetrical tracks. While there are plenty of good reasons to desire single track HRW, this suggestion is more about just being able to interface with single track RRW.

G: Even the most limited function viaduct with asymmetrical alignment could make possible some beautiful viaduct aesthetics. Single-track possibilities are something I know you've been pursuing for a long time and, while I don't know your implementation plans there, they'd be a fantastic option for any of the rail networks, particularly with DxO or FAxO/FAxD implementation--one can dream, right? :D

Cheers to you and best of luck with the project moving forward  :popcorn:

mgb204

Just FYI, Monorail does support functional tunnels in-game. It could re-purposed, although I think that's better saved for the upcoming High Speed RRW project.

noahclem

Quote from: mgb204 on September 07, 2021, 09:55:44 AM
Just FYI, Monorail does support functional tunnels in-game. It could re-purposed, although I think that's better saved for the upcoming High Speed RRW project.
Great to hear! I could swear I've heard a some contradictory claims at some point but am happy to have understood wrong.

And indeed, best for HSRRW or whatever the appropriate frontronym is these days :D

AsimPika3172

I loves Sim City forever!

Ulisse Wolf

More material coming soon for HRW. Only available for NAM 43

JahnSpd

Will the Japanese catenaries from earlier screenshots be included at some point?

Ulisse Wolf

Quote from: godfreygodfrey on November 29, 2021, 03:55:39 PM
Will the Japanese catenaries from earlier screenshots be included at some point?

Those catenaries are in the final testing phase. It just lacks to fix the last details and we can release the mod

-----

NAM 43 came out bringing new content to HRW. Now more content is coming with NAM 44 including bridges

Note. This render of the bridge is an alpha version

Mana-sama

Hii
I have a little problem with a HRW junction

Ulisse Wolf

Quote from: Mana-chan on January 16, 2022, 06:45:26 PM
Hii
I have a little problem with a HRW junction

I took this image from the tutorial that indicated in the FAQ.  (See the first post)

Also I see that a texture is missing which makes me wonder if there is any problem with your NAM installation or a silent bug in NAM 43. To be on the safe side, do a clean installation of NAM 43

Mana-sama

eggman121

Hi @Mana-chan

Try deleting the "HybridRail (RRW-RHSR)" Folder than to a reinstall.

I have a feeling that the files may not reflect the code if the this issue after I went into the wilderness.

If the issue still occurs I will issue a patch.

Thanks

-eggman121

Mana-sama

Quote from: eggman121 on January 16, 2022, 08:49:13 PM
Hi @Mana-chan

Try deleting the "HybridRail (RRW-RHSR)" Folder than to a reinstall.

I have a feeling that the files may not reflect the code if the this issue after I went into the wilderness.

If the issue still occurs I will issue a patch.

Thanks

-eggman121

same texture problem :(

eggman121

Quote from: Mana-chan on January 17, 2022, 12:02:38 PM

Are you by any chance using the Reskin for the HRW on the STEX? It has not been updated yet.

I did include some new textures based on a reskin I have and think from the pictures supplied that the HRW Reskin has been applied.

-eggman121

Mana-sama

Quote from: eggman121 on January 17, 2022, 12:22:22 PM
Quote from: Mana-chan on January 17, 2022, 12:02:38 PM

Are you by any chance using the Reskin for the HRW on the STEX? It has not been updated yet.

I did include some new textures based on a reskin I have and think from the pictures supplied that the HRW Reskin has been applied.

-eggman121

I don't understand sorry :(
Reskin is mod different with HRW?