• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Is the source code for SC4Mapper available for download

Started by doug_wesson, March 15, 2023, 07:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doug_wesson

Is the source code for SC4Mapper available for download

Ulisse Wolf

Quote from: doug_wesson on March 15, 2023, 07:04:07 PMIs the source code for SC4Mapper available for download

SC4 Mapper has the source code available on GitHub.

However, I suggest you also check the source code of SC4TERRAFORMER as SC4 Terraformer and SC4 Mapper share much of the source code and both are written with Python 2.X and use directx 7.0

doug_wesson

Just a quick question:

Are any of the guys that wrote these programs still active members of the group and if so would they be willing to exchange ideas.

Some of the code is missing on some of the projects.

mgb204

Frankly I suspect you are on your own, ultimately most of the great utilities for SC4 were made by folks who have long since moved on. You could try to send a polite PM to the creator, you might get lucky and it get's noticed/answered.

Do also bear in mind, it's one thing for someone to willingly release their source code, but quite another to have it 'hacked' using some utility. It is possible that process is not giving the 100% correct source code or that other files/code/APIs are necessary to utilise (compile) it.

Honestly, editing someone else's code seems like it would be simple, but it never is, only the person who wrote it really knows what's going on. Reverse engineering like this is a ton of work and honestly unless an App was broken, I'm not sure I'd bother, unless that's your idea of fun?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to tell you not to do it, but for example Terraformer does what it says on the tin, I can't think of some obvious missing feature/functionality off the top of my head that would add anything. Just considering the time/effort to unravel and understand the code, you should ask yourself if it's really worth it, compared to your intended goals from forking the code.

doug_wesson

Hi MGB

am nearly 70 and am just trying to get the old grey cell working again. In my working days i was a programmer so looking over other peoples coding and learning is great.