• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Quote from: Patricius Maximus on January 20, 2010, 04:21:30 PM
Well, now that it has been over a year since RHW 3.0 was released, has there been any further progress on 4.0?

Yes, though the rate of progress has been quite variable at times--which is why we don't give out release dates or timelines.  I'm trying to get as much stuff done now as possible before I get completely enveloped in comprehensive exams for my degree (Yippee . . . ::)), and RL and other SC4 projects have taken up our time as well.

There's still a fair bit to do before we go live with 4.0.  Hang in there.  It'll come when you least expect it. :)

Quote from: Haljackey on January 20, 2010, 04:31:49 PM
-Notice the new networks there as well, the RHW-3 and the RHW-8C

The RHW-3 is not planned for 4.0--it'll likely make its debut in a subsequent update.

-Alex

mightygoose

you have to bear in mind that these guys doing the modding behind the scenes have a to do list that takes them up to around RHW8.0 before they have any new ideas.... please be patient. and alex, get back to work...
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Monorail Master

Well, so much for hoping for RHW-3 in 4.0. I wonder how the bridge projects are going along with the other RHW networks.

Well, I hope RHW 4.0 can come out on 4-2-2010.

*hint**hint* that's my 17th birthday*hint**hint*
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination

j-dub

QuoteThe RHW-3 is not planned for 4.0--it'll likely make its debut in a subsequent update.
What? I thought it appeared everything was working properly for 3, although I guess 3 is looking a little brighter then the others in that shot.

Tarkus

Quote from: j-dub on January 20, 2010, 07:33:39 PM
What? I thought it appeared everything was working properly for 3, although I guess 3 is looking a little brighter then the others in that shot.

Well, it's basically just an orthogonal prototype still at this point . . . no intersections, no diagonals, nothing else really.

Edit: Diagonal stubs at long last . . .

-Alex

choco

Quote from: Monorail Master on January 20, 2010, 06:35:04 PM
I wonder how the bridge projects are going along with the other RHW networks.

they were going well until i lost some gmax files.... &mmm  i wanted to try some nitelites, but those may be pushed back a bit.

otherwise, there's quite an extensive list of new bridges that will be available.  only a bit of texture work to go....

riiga

Quote from: Tarkus on January 20, 2010, 05:53:47 PM
The RHW-3 is not planned for 4.0--it'll likely make its debut in a subsequent update.

-Alex

Aw, and I was looking forward to finally being able to build those famous Swedish 2+1-roads...  &mmm  Well, I guess the old saying "Good things come to those who wait" is true after all.

- riiga

Patricius Maximus

Quote from: Tarkus on January 20, 2010, 05:53:47 PM
Yes, though the rate of progress has been quite variable at times--which is why we don't give out release dates or timelines.  I'm trying to get as much stuff done now as possible before I get completely enveloped in comprehensive exams for my degree (Yippee . . . ::)), and RL and other SC4 projects have taken up our time as well.

There's still a fair bit to do before we go live with 4.0.  Hang in there.  It'll come when you least expect it. :)

-Alex

Good. As long as progress is being made on the project, I'm satisfied  ;D.

Quote from: Haljackey on January 20, 2010, 04:31:49 PM
Progress on textures:
-Notice the new networks there as well, the RHW-3 and the RHW-8C

Just be sure to note nothing you see here is final.

More later as development continues.

That's progress alright.

Battlecat

Looks like excellent progress here.  I like the new textures and networks, more options are always great!

nerdly_dood

How about for the stubs, instead of an abrupt ending to the pavement, how about a more eroded, gravelly look to the end?
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

Monorail Master

Quote from: nerdly_dood on January 22, 2010, 04:03:27 PM
How about for the stubs, instead of an abrupt ending to the pavement, how about a more eroded, gravelly look to the end?

I would like that for the RHW-2, RHW-4, and the MIS.  But for the EL-MIS, EL-RHW-4, and RHW: 6S, 6C, 8S, 8C (in pic above) , and the RHW-10 can there be road barriers? 'Cause in real-life, freeways of those types have barriers at the end of segments under construction. Mainly to pervent cars from falling off the elevated ones.
*Also to prevent any wanna-be bus jumpers like in the movie Speed
Speaking of which, how's the progress on the other elevated networks? Several pages back, I saw a teaser of a EL-RHW-6,8, and 10.
(\__/)

j-dub

I was on an avenue in real life for a ways that turned out not to be finished, right before I almost got to the intersection. This so called barrier certainly was not the case for me, there was no end barrier where the pavement ended and turned to dirt a foot underneath the asphalt. The road I needed to turn on to was being widen, thus the road I was on had been taken out at the last minute. Luckily I was able to turn around, but I ended up going the wrong way down the avenue, because at that point, I could not hop the median or proceed through the dirt like the trucks could. No wonder there were other cars going the wrong way when I first turned down that road. Their was construction in progress there, and they could have had that whole area blocked off before hand by using some cones at least, but since there are no lights, I am sure someone drove right off that drop. My state there also is too many roads that do not have proper grading, so its not like bus jumping can be prevented everywhere.

Also, about the soft shoulder. I don't zone off the bigger RHW's anyway. But I am using the so called soft shoulder you guys want where my RHW-2 ends, via a street mod made by jeronji. The rocks along side the road make it very realistic. In this case, the diagonals on the other hand probably would not benefit off that mod though, the diagonal RHW texture here would need it blended in, rather then a base texture.

k808j

In reference to Residential zones not able to grow when laid next to RHW's, you think the RCR project by Doctor25 can remedy this situation?

L i s t e n  T o  O u r  F a m o u s  T h e m e
http://www.supload.com/listen?s=PVfnXk">We Are Borg

j-dub

The buildings still wouldn't exactly be off the RHW, they would be at least one tile away from the RHW, the same distance as a frontage road built next to a RHW. I don't see this next RHW coming out before the RCR though, the RCR project basically at this point is SimCity Societies roads except with slip lanes for SimCity 4, and the fact residents do not need to be right on the road to drive in or out, you just have to use those drivable ped mall like squares in between.

Also, before you get the RCR k808j, right now, you may want to experiment zoning 1 square tile of residence then plop, not drag the road tool in front of that residence, and then build an RHW, next to the plopped road square, and see if you get a house to grow. If that works, basically that would have to mean the RCR could do the same. The RCR tiles use that style of pathing, that they can drive over the tiles to get to the road but the difference is the RCR is designed that the cars have turning paths where that road is straight, similar to the Network Widening Mod, while the other existing networks like regular Maxis road do not have paths off the straight road that automatta can drive right off.

To be honest, I don't know if Alex is even aware of the RCR, he has not said anything about it, maybe because out of the RCR's 3 design concepts it follows 2 concepts the NWM does, but thats another story.

KoV Liberty

Lets wait awhile so w can have all those networks! The 8C and the RHW 3 look awesome!

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

Tarkus

Quote from: nerdly_dood on January 22, 2010, 04:03:27 PM

Perhaps down the road, that may be a viable option--it could even be a good optional cosmetic mod. 

Quote from: Monorail Master on January 23, 2010, 09:01:21 AM
But for the EL-MIS, EL-RHW-4, and RHW: 6S, 6C, 8S, 8C (in pic above) , and the RHW-10 can there be road barriers? 'Cause in real-life, freeways of those types have barriers at the end of segments under construction. Mainly to pervent cars from falling off the elevated ones.
*Also to prevent any wanna-be bus jumpers like in the movie Speed
Speaking of which, how's the progress on the other elevated networks? Several pages back, I saw a teaser of a EL-RHW-6,8, and 10.

That would make sense on those Wider Ground RHWs.  The ERHWs are a different story, and because of how they have to connect in with the NAM Elevated Road/OWR/Avenue puzzle pieces, their "stubs" are actually just the orthogonal models, with through paths.  Yes, you get the "Speed" effect, but making a proper stub would make it a lot more difficult to use those networks to build interchanges.

Quote from: k808j on January 23, 2010, 09:36:54 AM
In reference to Residential zones not able to grow when laid next to RHW's, you think the RCR project by Doctor25 can remedy this situation?

I hadn't thought about that.  I haven't tried it yet, but as it's just a street with pedmall and "driveway" paths, and streets with car paths accept all RCI zoning, it seems it would be possible, though a "connector" of some sort would be required on the RHW end.  It'd only make sense to do for the RHW-2 and RHW-4, though . . . RCI zoning on an RHW-10 would look absurd. :D

-Alex

-Alex

Monorail Master

Well Tarkus, I hope that my barrier idea for the wider RHWs can make it in. Just place the default Maxis barrier at the end. But it's more complex to do this simple idea. I know.
(\__/)

lipeihe

adroman

Welcome to the forums, lipeihe!

You can download the RHW Here (Link) on the LEX... you will also need the NAM, which is avaliable Here (Link).   ;)

Also, there's always excellent work here, guys! Keep it up... You have me checking this thread daily... (Even if I don't post in it...  ::))

Havva good one,
Adrian.
737s, Air Force, Australia... what next?

rhwfanatic221

I can't wait for the double height RHW so we can get some Flex-FLY on Flex-FLY action going on... :D
Anyways as a first-time poster but not a newbie this is great stuff that is done on here &apls