• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Map Tutorial: Discussion Thread

Started by Heblem, April 23, 2008, 12:06:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heblem

Please talk anything related to map tutorial, can be any help or something you didn't understand in my tutorial, i'll try to help my best  ;)

Any suggestion, or a new tutorial is welcome, i also looking for feedback.
Thanks!

Heblem

ZonZaucker

thank you so much Heblem, I used to play in the standard map from the beginning (2years ago), but now the eternal commuters made it unplayable  :'( and so I decided to try out one of the beautiful NHP maps: chetwoot!
your tutorial was so precious, &apls when I saw the ugly texture in the regional view at first my eyes popped out :o
now I'm opening every city-tile to fix the view, it will take 2days I think!!
thank you again!!

SamJam

That was a wonderful tutorial, quite in-depth! There is, however, one thing that I have been investigating (with no luck) so it may not even be possible. I already have a .sc4m that I can't wait to sink my teeth into, but I'd like to rotate it 90-degrees counter-clockwise. Is there a way to do it from within SC4T, or possibly with another graphic program (from which it can then be imported back into SC4T)?

Thanks for any help!

wouanagaine

There is no way you can do it with SC4TF alone but here is one option if you have Photoshop ( the only graphic program I know can handle reading & writing 16 bit png )

-open your SC4M with SC4TF
-export as png
-open then png in Photoshop
-rotate and save
-in SC4TF import the png and save the region

make sure that if your map is not square, you also rotate the config.bmp

Take care

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

SamJam

Ahh, the power of PhotoShop... I'll give that a shot wouanagaine, thanks!

papab2000

I don't have Photoshop either but I do have Photoshop Elements and it will handle the 16 bit png.  ;) I am thankful for this since Photoshop is expensive.  :)

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Visit my mapping thread: linkie
Post pic's of your NHP Mapped Regions linkie

SamJam

Well, I tried PhotoShop but it seems it was futile. SC4T doesn't offer a specific "save as" option (PNG, but no bit) so it only re-saves it as 24-bit. PhotoShop can rotate it, but opening the 'new' 24-bit image in SC4T results in a jumbled mess of colours, which translate even worse into the game itself as a region.

Thanks anyway wouanagaine, I appreciate the advice... but in the long run, I think supplying the original greyscale map is the best option for those who need to fidget with the maps a bit (like me).  &mmm

Edit: Converting it to a BMP at any stage doesn't help either.

Grneyes

I have a map I want to render but when I do the ctrl-shft-alt-r and select the map, nothing happens. What could the possible problems be and how do I solve them?

MaryBeth

Heblem

The problem could be that the map size or map type of file its incorrect and you should fix it according to the config.bmp and should be as greyscale (.jpg)

Hope that helps  ;)

wouanagaine

@Samja, it has

@Gmeyes, I concur with heblem, make sure it is a real greyscale jpg, using your favorite image viewer, you'll certainly able to see if it is labelled as RGB or greyscale

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

SamJam

Whoo-hoooo! It worked this time! I think I was confused by the wording in the program when I tried it before--when you export, your option is to open rather than save, so I ended up using a different route. But it worked like a charm this time.

Thanks for the help!  :thumbsup:  My schedule is now officially full through the remainder of the year!

simlove

Yes thanks Heblem for the good info here ,but after I installed  a NHP maps  :thumbsup: and terrianin mod I still don't know how to get read off the grids on the ground in the map I read all the map tutorial here and I did the same. I have SC4TERRAFORMER and SC4M It's work so great in the simcity maps but I hope that could happen in the NHPmaps too. Who look so great. Please help me here thanks %confuso

Sorry... my english it not that good. Hope you understand it. ;D
Robin

High5Tower

simlove

simlove

WHOOV that was easy thaks a lot :thumbsup:you made my day

jchase79

I pretty new to making my own maps and I'm having some trouble.  I tried to use the SC4 Terraformer v11 on the lex but when I try to load it, I get an error that the program can't use direct x because another program may be using it.  I gave up using it so I found a tutorial online to make my own 8 bit image in photoshop and the config file.  I finished them but when I try to load the region and but before I can press ctrl + shift + alt + r windows pops up and says that SC4 has stopped working and needs to close..... Every time.  Any ideas as to what I've done wrong?  my email is jchase79@gmail.com if someone would like me to send the files to them to see what might be wrong.  Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Jeremy

boom_box

can anyone solve this problem of SC4 Terraformer...

this error shows everytime I select my region...

I do have 2 x 1GB DDR2-800 RAM in my PC... isn't this enough to run an 64x28 config..?  ;D
ILIGAN CITY
...my town, my street gives me peace of mind that can't be beat..
- Buck-o-nine "My Town"
My workstation Intel C2D E8400 @ 3.8 GHz | Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L | Team Xtreem Dark 2 x 1GB DDR2-800 | Leadtek PX8800GT 512MB GDDR3 | LG W2252TQ 22" LCD | Altec Lansing VS4121 Blk | Silverstone Strider ST560F 560W
Soon: GTX 260 216SP | Western Digital 1TB SATA HDD