• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Rural power lines

Started by willy88, August 20, 2007, 08:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

projectadam

Keep up the good work gentlemen! Enjoy decorating for Christmas Don ;)
The Constitutional Monarchy of Ichigamin

Terraforming Update (8/25/09)

papab2000

Looks much better this way  :thumbsup: Good job  &apls

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Visit my mapping thread: linkie
Post pic's of your NHP Mapped Regions linkie

homefryes

Hi, all --

I have spent a little time on the substations. I decided on 3 sizes, because even the most rural areas still need a big substation from which subtransmission lines are run to supply all the other villages, right? I also added some lights inside.

The large one:

The medium one:

The small one:

That's all for now...

— Don
Utility Poles Project [linkie]
Ashtabula (the MD) is not dead; it's just on a really long hiatus!
Check out Homefryes' BATatorium

High5Tower

Looking good with the different sizes. Since these are set in a lot on rural areas and industrial areas what do you think about a more rural type of grass?  The shade that comes to mind "Simple Grass Field." Its the same as the default grass in industrial areas.

homefryes

Quote from: High5Tower on December 01, 2008, 07:40:57 PM
... a more rural type of grass ...

Thanks for the feedback, High5Tower. I agree that that would be terrific, except that the grass you see is part of the base texture which also has the gravel. I searched through the textures I've DL'ed so far, and there were no gravel base textures that covered the whole square, which would allow me to cover part of it with any grass ... and then there would be the issue of having grass textures in the shapes I need. I'm definitely open to suggestions, but I do really like this gravel as it's exactly what I envisioned for the base below the inner workings and the driveway. There are a couple of instances where I'm using partial grass overlays to cover part of the gravel, but most of the squares have no overlay at all. I haven't dabbled with making base and overlay textures yet.

Anyone else have any ideas?

— Don

j-dub

I think the textures fit around the shape of the structure. Sure their texture looks not so rural, but personally would stick with it, because it makes sense.

homefryes

Quote from: j-dub on December 02, 2008, 03:22:05 PM
...the textures fit around the shape of the structure...
Thanks, j-dub. I love how they work so well with the structure, and look very random (no square edges). I, of course, will have to figure out which pack they come from for the sake of including in the dependencies; how do I go about doing that? The base and overlay textures are the only dependencies. I may actually get these ready for releasing soon.

— Don

j-dub

I am not 100% sure on this, but I heard, there is something called the dependency scanner from the sc4 tool program that can save the dependencies it finds on a lot into web format. I have not tried it. Where is it, I don't know exactly. Its on a German site called simszone.de, but maybe check simtropolis' download section. I have never needed a dependency check myself. 

Andreas

The dependency scanner is included in SC4Tool, which is available here: http://kurier.simcityplaza.de/details.php?file=315 Obviously, SC4Tool cannot display dependencies that are not installed, but by checking the LD files, you might be able to find some more dependencies. The results are not very accurate, since the LD files only list prop dependencies (but no textures), and the filenames might be outdated due to an inclusion in a mega pack. The main purpose is to check if you have all dependencies installed - if SC4Tool tells you that something is missing, you will have to hunt down the missing files yourself, though.
Andreas

metarvo

The substations look very good, Don.  It will certainly be great to have this kind of control over the power grid.  Keep up the great work!   :thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

homefryes

j-dub and metarvo: thanks!

Quote from: Andreas on December 03, 2008, 04:18:33 AM...only list prop dependencies (but no textures)...
Andreas: I truly appreciate the feedback; however, it sounds like this isn't going to help me much in this case if it won't find dependent textures. Let me clarify my issue: the lot base and overlay textures came from a texture mega pack (possibly two different packs, but I'm guessing one, since the grass is the same); no non-Maxis props exist (the shrubs, fence and the streetlight are standard issue*). So I will need to reference the mega pack(s) as a dependency when I offer these to the public. I could temporarily remove each mega pack until I find it, but supposing I had dozens of them installed, this would be a tedious process. Is there a tool that can help me identify the pack(s) to which the dependent textures used in my lots belong?

— Don

*I know this because when I initially built the lots, I had zero extras installed.

metasmurf

Looks like cycledoggs textures to me, from the shape of the grass overlay textures.

http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=101 (also released on stex, but the one on lex is an updated version. )

Andreas

Don, apparently I misread your post earlier and only replied to j-dub properly - sorry. If you want to create a list of dependencies of your own custom lot, open it in SC4Tool's Analyser/Importer with all props and texture packs placed in your plugins folder (that were inside this folder when you designed your lot). SC4Tool will read the IDs in your lot file and then compare them with the IDs of the props and textues that are installed, providing you with a list of files that contain said dependencies. This list can be found as "scan result" (rather than the LTD file scan I mentioned before). The Analyser/Importer also has several tabs for a description text and a button where you can add your readme file images. Once all data is scanned, you can open a template HTML file (SC4Tool comes with a few basic ones) and save the output as new HTML file that includes the lot values, the list of dependencies and your screenshots. The file might need some manual tweaking in an HTML editor, but basically, you're done after that procedure. Please refer to SC4Tool's readme file, which explains the various buttons in detail.
Andreas

homefryes

Thanks, Andreas and metasmurf! I know they are in a texture mega pack since that's all I've loaded thus far*. I appreciate the how-to, and eventually (probably over the weekend), I will see about getting them packaged up. Have a great day!  :thumbsup:

— Don

*To elaborate, I recently installed SC4RH on my new laptop, and so far have installed very few add-ons while I finish my utility pole project (much faster and simpler than doing all testing on the desktop PC which is overloaded with plug-ins). This is allowing me to build a new plug-ins folder that is much cleaner and more streamlined than what I've done on the PC (which is an absolute mess!). This is a really nice way to start "fresh," without just blowing my old one away. Eventually I can then copy my new plug-ins folder from the laptop to the PC.
&idea

metarvo

Not to steal anyone's thunder, but I do have another development pic.

I have created straight lines, 22 degree turns, 45 degree turns, 66 degree turns, and 90 degree turns, in four different orientations.  There are two types of transmission towers, one wooden and one metal.  This expansion is almost complete.  All I need to do is create custom PNG icons for this set, and it will be ready.  ;)

Your idea about the Plugins folder is a good one, Don.  I have relocated all of my plugins to a different folder except for those that are essential to my project.  I did leave the Columbus terrain in the folder, since I can't bear to go without it anymore.  Keep up the good work with your utility project, Don.  :)
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

threestooges

There is some excellent development going on in here. The substations are amazing, and something needed in the game. The towers are looking good too. Dense little things, but I doubt they'll buckle in high winds. Very nice work you guys.
-Matt

homefryes

metarvo: nice work on the corners. It's good to see progress!

threestooges: thanks for the compliment on the substations!

— Don

homefryes

Hey, folks - sorry for the double-post, but I have an announcement: I've started a new BAT thread, Homefryes' BATatorium [linkie], where I've begun a new discussion on the Rural Substations. What I'm looking for is help in determining what the properties should be for them. I look forward to your input so that I can get these ready for uploading.

— Don

Katten Gustaf

May I offer a sugestion on how to have several kinds of functional, slope-conforming, power lines at the same time?

I removed the maxis towers from the power lines so you can use props overhanging from a transparent lot in instead; The network remains fully functional and it is possible to plopp any combination of power poles without conflict. Like this.

Even while this is more of a workaround than a solution I still think it might be a workable concept, any suitable model could be used in a relatively simple, lot-based way and several sets of power poles could coexist smoothly. What do you think about it?
:-\
No Maxis power poles mod here http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/index.cfm?id=20814.

homefryes

I think that's some pretty crazy awesome work, there, Katten Gustaf! I'd like to see a head-on view of the grey poles too, if you could. I like the idea a lot! I am partial to the grey towers mod that (someone) made (I don't have the name or link in front of me now), but these are a really neat alternative, and being able to choose more than one type at any time is a fun idea. Do you have diagonal models as well?

— Don