• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Simmer's Lotting Lab.

Started by Simmer2, December 11, 2015, 07:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simmer2

Quote from: Indiana Joe on December 27, 2015, 01:32:20 PM
I don't know how I didn't see this two weeks ago, but it looks awesome Simmer!  I see that you're putting up the various parts on the LEX today.

You said that you created all the textures yourself, but it looks like some of the overlays are from the files I uploaded in the NAM RRW thread.  If they're mine I don't mind you uploading them, but just make sure you give credit.   :thumbsup:

Hi Joe.
I wrote that I "modified" them not "created" them. I just added a few from my own creations and I was told that Swordmaster created them therefore I listed him as the original creator in the credits.
I ran them all through Photoshop and made them sharper and slightly darker and assigned them brand new IID's
However if it was you that made them then of course I will change and/or add you to the credits.

*Edit* I just modified the credits, sorry for any misunderstandings
Thank you Joe
________________________________________________________________________________

Simmer2

The lots and texture have been released on the LEX!!
http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3312

Special thanks goes to vortext and mgb204 for the invaluable lessons they have given me. Without them this project would have stalled for a long time. Thank you for making this possible.
Also to the sc4devotion.com members that have followed the progress on my thread and gave me suggestions. Thank you.
Big thanks to Indiana Joe, Swordmaster and Fantozzi for creating the original RRW textures!!!

________________________________________________________________________________

Simmer2

New lot  ;D

Knowing Vortext fondness for historic scenery I decided to put something together.
Its called Schiffenberg Monastery and I used his historic monastery props and a model made by Kwakelaar.
Its TE'd to street (I used the dirt road)
What do you think?

mgb204

That's a nice lot, for a beginner, you seem to be doing some fine work.

I'm not sure about TEing lots too much. There are some disadvantages with this approach. Did you know it's possible to fake it, even with SAM overrides so that the connection appears visually but doesn't need to be functional?

The method shown here also works for various other networks and diagonals if you use the respective rail viaduct PP next to the blank one.

Simmer2

Hi mgb204
Yup that's a great trick for placing the lot.
I just TE'd one tile on the street side. Just for visual connection, nothing goes through so everyone can connect it visually right out of the box.

Thank you for pointing that out  though, that's one neat trick  &apls

noahclem

You're a hero! I'm horrified that I haven't had a chance to try your work out yet.

Simmer2

Tyberius06

Thank you for this lovely lot! :) &apls &apls

I checked the dependencies and I think the BSC_DAE_DirtTrackTextures.dat (http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/11023-bsc-dae-dirt-track-texture-pack/ ) actually is in the BSC Textures vol. 01 pack (http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=90). At least the BSC Texture pack's RemoveList says that to me.

Anyway it's  great work and I'm looking forward another great stuff from You! :)
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

FrankU

The lot is beautiful!  &apls

And indeed: the dirt tracks are part of BSC textures vol 1, the other file is outdated and should be removed (although it won't hurt if it stays in your plugins).

Simmer2

Thank you Tyberius06 and FrankU.
I will be checking my plugin tonight and make the necessary edits.

Cheers, Simmer2

Girafe

I just check the RRW textures pack and I am surprised that they are not matching the draggable RRW textures, is there a trick to fix that?
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

Simmer2

Quote from: Girafe on December 30, 2015, 01:03:40 PM
I just check the RRW textures pack and I am surprised that they are not matching the draggable RRW textures, is there a trick to fix that?

Hi Girafe.
Do you mean the color scheme?
If that is what you mean, the reason why they are not a perfect color match is due to me making them a bit darker for LE lotting.
Rail tracks in freight stations/depots are a bit darker due to rust and heavy oil leaks, I have been at the CN Rail yard here in Toronto several times and paid particular attention to all the tracks (it is a monster freight depot).

I hope I answered your question.

Simmer2, Nick

Kergelen

Nice Monastery lot. Good use of Manchou farm houses &apls

Great trick mgb204 :thumbsup:

Links to SC4 websites

Simmer2

Quote from: Tyberius06 on December 30, 2015, 05:45:19 AM
Thank you for this lovely lot! :) &apls &apls

I checked the dependencies and I think the BSC_DAE_DirtTrackTextures.dat (http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/11023-bsc-dae-dirt-track-texture-pack/ ) actually is in the BSC Textures vol. 01 pack (http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=90). At least the BSC Texture pack's RemoveList says that to me.

Anyway it's  great work and I'm looking forward another great stuff from You! :)

Quote from: FrankU on December 30, 2015, 06:53:08 AM
The lot is beautiful!  &apls

And indeed: the dirt tracks are part of BSC textures vol 1, the other file is outdated and should be removed (although it won't hurt if it stays in your plugins).

Tracker has been updated!
Thank you for pointing it out  :thumbsup:

Thanks Kergelen  :)

Indiana Joe

My original versions of the textures perfectly match with draggable RRW; Simmer chose to make them darker for his pack.  They're up for download in the RRW thread

mgb204

Quote from: Simmer2 on December 30, 2015, 01:13:08 PM
If that is what you mean, the reason why they are not a perfect color match is due to me making them a bit darker for LE lotting.

I figured from your previous posts, this was a creative decision.

One thing you should perhaps note though, if these textures were taken from the main RRW mod, they are already darkened. Because RRW is a model-based network, you actually need to lighten them to match as lot textures. However, whilst I don't like contrasting textures too much, it's OK when there is a transition that blends between them, which I believe was included here.

vortext

Congrats on uploading the RRW LE textures!  &apls

The rail yard looks great, and the monastery is lovely as well! Though maybe in the future don't use as much flora on the lots. It'll cut down the number of dependencies by a fair amount and in addition gives players the opportunity to decorate the lots with MMPs to their own taste. That said, you do have a great eye for detail!  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Simmer2

Quote from: Indiana Joe on December 30, 2015, 10:43:03 PM

My original versions of the textures perfectly match with draggable RRW; Simmer chose to make them darker for his pack.  They're up for download in the RRW thread

Bingo  :thumbsup: thanks Joe.

Quote from: mgb204 on December 31, 2015, 02:09:09 AM
Quote from: Simmer2 on December 30, 2015, 01:13:08 PM

I figured from your previous posts, this was a creative decision.

One thing you should perhaps note though, if these textures were taken from the main RRW mod, they are already darkened. Because RRW is a model-based network, you actually need to lighten them to match as lot textures. However, whilst I don't like contrasting textures too much, it's OK when there is a transition that blends between them, which I believe was included here.

Great idea Robin! Should I make a few transitions and amend the packs? or upload a smaller pack?

Quote from: vortext on December 31, 2015, 05:27:59 AM
Congrats on uploading the RRW LE textures!  &apls

The rail yard looks great, and the monastery is lovely as well! Though maybe in the future don't use as much flora on the lots. It'll cut down the number of dependencies by a fair amount and in addition gives players the opportunity to decorate the lots with MMPs to their own taste. That said, you do have a great eye for detail!  :thumbsup:

Erik, you are absolutely right!
My attention to details shall be my undoing. I abhor blandness therefore I decided that if I'm to upload lots I shall keep up with a certain standard. It's an automatic reflex on my part.

Thank you, Simmer2, Nick.

Oh and HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!!!! :bnn:

mgb204

Quote from: Simmer2 on December 31, 2015, 08:19:08 AM
Great idea Robin! Should I make a few transitions and amend the packs? or upload a smaller pack?

My mistake, I had thought the textures included one you used on your railyard lots, was that from another pack or am I mixing it up with something else. I guess I'd just update the pack, since you should only need this for the basic ortho textures.

Simmer2

Quote from: mgb204 on December 31, 2015, 12:51:22 PM
Quote from: Simmer2 on December 31, 2015, 08:19:08 AM

My mistake, I had thought the textures included one you used on your railyard lots, was that from another pack or am I mixing it up with something else. I guess I'd just update the pack, since you should only need this for the basic ortho textures.

I just made a few for testing purposes.
I'm doing a DTR and STR, just the 2 basic straight pieces.
I will check the railyard texture stubs to see if those pieces need transitions as well.

Happy new year by the way and thank you for pointing this issue and solution out.

Nick