• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Abbey-Upon-Tyne

Started by iGod, March 24, 2010, 06:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iGod

"Abbey-Upon-Tyne"...what will this city give us and what will it take. A moloch located at the river Tyne. The Worlds second largest Coal Producer takes on the challenge of changing the city to the best and away from the industry it is!
Will the city succed, or end up like other cities and fail this challenge?

Today just a little teaser, next time more ;)

Castle "Eltz" at the "Clare Mountain"

One of the large open coal pits. This one is "Charlotte II" (Argh...sorry, forgot to turn off the grid)

The "Caroline Pass" over the "Anne Valley Bridge". Are you dare enough?

More to come soon...hope you enjoyed this little preview of what's to come.

Comments are welcome, appreciated and valued.

harris14

looks like your area is the place of big things. :P big castle,big pit,big bridge. looks cool ;)

RickD

That bridge looks spectacular. A lookout point would be cool there, too.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

Tomas Neto

iGod

Replies:
harris14: Thanks for your comment. But as you will see later on, it is more a European/UK city, so not so much big building in there.
RickD: Hard to see on this picture but there is a lookout point located at the west side of the bridge. But I am going to try to find a better one. Thanks for your comment as well.
Tomas Neto: Thank you.

Part 2: City & Caroline Pass

The city itself is actually not that old. Founded in 1051 as a little settlement of the Franciscan Order it soon became a village with many inhabitants. Coal and Wool products have always been goods witch "Abbey-Upon-Tyne" exported. In the 16th century coal became the main export good, but also ships were build near the river "Tyne". Since 1974 "Abbey-Upon-Tyne" is the administrative centre of "East Lombardia".
From 1642 to 1665 the "Fransican Abbey" was build, which also gave the name to this town. Before that it was known as "Pons Aelii".
The "Caroline Pass" is the oldest and still most important connection from "Abbey-Upon-Tyne" to the nation. Crossing the "Massif Newcastle", it is one of the highest passes in this country, at the highest point about 2300m high!

So let's take a little look at the city.

This is a view at the old town or what can be considered the city centre. At the left is "King Edward Station", the main station and at the right you can see the "Fransican Abbey".

On the west side of the river "Tyne", the borough "Tyneside". Still in development since the main development took place on along the eastside of the river and the urban sprawl just slowely moves to the other riverside.

This is the "Sowerby Sports Park", with the "Admiral John Stanton Stadium", the "Adam Cook Arena" and a training place for the Footballers of the "Abbey-Upon-Tyne City FC". The large building at the back is the "Dr. John Malkovich Building" and forms part of the "Royal St. George University of Abbey-Upon-Tyne". Part of it is rented out to the Football club though and is a mixture of everything for the "A.U.T. City FC" - Administrative building, a small hospital wing, sleeping possibilties, meeting rooms, etc...

Downtown "Tyneside". It has some sort of an art-deco approach to it but is still, to some extend, a work in progress and is quite likely to get changed to fit the city more.

A small part of the "Caroline Pass" Maybe more next time?!

Hope you like it so far.
Comments are, as per usual, welcome and appreciated.

Battlecat

Very interesting start!  Nice mix of development styles here!

Tomas Neto

Great update, very nice again!!!

iGod

Replies:
Battlecat: Thank you. Well, I try to have a major European style but with maybe some influences from other architectural styles as well.
Tomas Neto: Again, thank you very much for commenting.

Part 3: Blyth & St. George

"Blyth" & "St. George" are two of the oldest suburbs near "Abbey-Upon-Tyne" and aslo share a similar history. "Blyth" was founded in 1643 as a small fishing community as well as "St. George". Once the coal industry was moving in the city, they were looking for easy ways to distribute the coal. Railways were soon build but could only transport a limited amount of coal. A new harbour was needed but there were only a few spots in this mountanious area where it could be build. The choice fell on Blyth and from 1917 to 1919 the "Blythton Harbour" was build. Today it is still the main hub for coal shippment in the country. But also other goods are beeing send from here to all their different destinations, eg. cars from the BMW factory located in "Abbey-Upon-Tyne".
"St. George" & "Blyth"sort of merged in the 19th century and today it is impossible to distinguish between the two towns.
"St. George" is also home to the "Royal Golf Club of St. George", a wolrd famous and very hard to play golf course. It is one of the oldest in the world founded in 1756.
In 1960's a new project was started to attract more people into these villages. The "Blythton Terraces" soon became one of the wealthiest areas in "Abbey-Upon-Tyne".

This is just a small overview of "Blyth & St. George". "Blyth" is the area towards the harbour and "St. George" is the town towards the north...sort of...

"St. George" with the old fishing harbour.

"Blythton Harbour". A harbour - not much to say.

A view of the "Blythton Terraces". I was so happy when I found a STR station that I needed to put it in use straight away. I am still not sure if the setting with the walls fits in the city or if it looks a bit odd?

This is the "Royal Golf Club of St. George". Wouldn't you enjoy playing a little golf whilst looking at the mountains and enjoying the fresh sea air?

I redid the downtown area to fit more my ideas and there you go. Used more mid-rise buildings rather than skyscrapers and they also fir in better with the city I think. But it's still in development!

Hope you enjoy this update,
Comments are, as per usual, welcome and appreciated.

RickD

Blython harbour is very well done. And the golf course, too. I still have to figure out how to build those country clubs.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

Battlecat

Looks pretty good to me.  I quite like the country club!