• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

File Merging limitations?

Started by NetPCDoc, December 13, 2012, 02:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NetPCDoc

Trying to merge 'MEGA Prop' packs - and apparently have run into some sort of 'wall'?

Does anyone know what limits there are on how much can be merged by the SC4Tool's File Merge editer?
Is there a Maximum number of Props one can put into a single '.dat' file?
Is there a Maximum number of Bytes to a '.dat' file?

Any recommendations of a Tool that can merge more?

mrbisonm

Quote from: NetPCDoc on December 13, 2012, 02:45:16 PM
Trying to merge 'MEGA Prop' packs - and apparently have run into some sort of 'wall'?

Does anyone know what limits there are on how much can be merged by the SC4Tool's File Merge editer?
Is there a Maximum number of Props one can put into a single '.dat' file?
Is there a Maximum number of Bytes to a '.dat' file?

Any recommendations of a Tool that can merge more?

Hm....Good and excellent question, because I am working on a Megapack with hundreds of files and I will soon wonder also if there will be a limit to a .datfile. I'm curious now.

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

CasperVg

Alternatively you could use the SC4 Datpacker to merge the MEGA prop packs, it can handle .datfiles up to 400MB (before it splits them)
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

NetPCDoc

Not too sure how much help the 'SC4 Datpacker' will be - as I the 'wall' I hit was just over 200 Megabytes and I am just getting started!

For any who might be interested - the 'unknown' properties in the type '0x28' exemplars - 'misc. catalog exemplars'?
are what the 'DatGen' calls 'Submenu Key's; basically associates that particular exemplar with a particular submenu.
Or one could say these are the 'keys' to putting a modded ploppable on the proper sub-menu?  Maybe?

Two values/properties that my download of DatGen didn't have defined:
0x2A49D7CA - for the Utilities: Sanitation Menu (Landfill and Dezone items), and
0xEA5AC496 - for the Landscape Menu (raise & lower terrain, erode, and smoothen).

I am not too sure just what was intended for the 4-bytes (UInt32) assigned to these properties - as all that I have seen are filled with zeroes.

These could be added to the 'New Properties.xml' - if anyone cares to take the time to type them in?
Hopefully - the SC4Tool will be able to pick them up (use/display them) once they are typed into that .xml ...
Should anyone care to see such a small update to the SC4Tool - I can provide a list for up to 38 of these sub-menu-items;
five such items - from two such submenu-keys are listed above.

Would need to look further to find all the submenu-keys for the 'maxis' ploppables.
BTW - does anyone know how the search for ways to add new branches to the SC4-menus is progressing?

Lowkee33

QuoteBTW - does anyone know how the search for ways to add new branches to the SC4-menus is progressing?

Still not there.

I would recommend using Ilive's Reader over DatGen, might get a few of those Unknowns replaced.  I believe all of the sub-menu keys are listed correctly.

NetPCDoc

Of concern for this thread - These 'SubmenuKeys' didn't make it into the '.xml' files that come with the SC4Tool...
Just for the 'Record' the SubmenuKeys that I have located (in the SimCity_1.dat; as 'Labeled' in SC4Tool) are:

SubmenuKey: 0xEA5AC496 for Landscaping (Raise & Lower Terrain, Erode and Smoothen 'brushes')
SubmenuKey: 0x8A3F1505 for Zoning: Residential Menu (Low, Medium, High Density and Dezone 'brushes')
SubmenuKey: 0x8A3F14DC for Zoning: Commercial Menu (Low, Medium, High Density and Dezone 'brushes')
SubmenuKey: 0x8A3F1502 for Zoning: Industrial Menu (Agriculture, Light & Heavy Industrial and Dezone 'brushes')
SubmenuKey: 0x00004000 for Networks: Road Menu (Roads, OneWayRoads, Avenues, and Streets 'brushes')
SubmenuKey: 0x00004001 for Networks: Rails and Depots Menu (Rails and Monorails 'brushes')
SubmenuKey: 0x00004002 for Networks: Miscellaneous Transport Menu (Subway and LightRail 'brushes')
SubmenuKey: 0x00004003 for Utilities: Power Plant Menu (PowerLines 'brush')
SubmenuKey: 0x00004004 for Utilities: Water Plant Menu (Pipes 'brush')
SubmenuKey: 0x2A49D7CA for Utilities: Sanatation Menu (Landfill and Dezone 'brushes')
SubmenuKey: 0x00004005 for Networks: Highway & Ramps Menu (GroundHighway & Highway 'brushes' and
2*Cloverleaf, 2*OverpassOnramp, 2*ParrallelOnramp, ElevatedT-Intersection and GroundT-Intersection 'plops')

The above is a list of SubmenuKeys to be found in those Exemplars where GroupID=0x2A3858E4.
All of these are Mayor Mode Menu items - which doesn't include the 'fauna' brush from the God Mode Menus, but does
include the Mayor Mode 'Landscaping' items, leading me to believe there may be more of these that need to be documented?

I suspect that there exists one or more Exemplars - similar to the Stage-Development, Airport and Seaport control exemplars -
that link these 'SubmenuKeys' to their respective Menu (Catalog?) functions...
I am just not so sure it is included in any of the accessable .dat files (i.e. it may be 'hidden' in the main program file?).
And I am still contemplating just what the 'UInt32 value' of these 'SubmenuKey' properties might be for?