• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

A City in Winter

Started by spursrule14, January 04, 2013, 03:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spursrule14

Greetings everyone! I began this city almost exactly a year ago over at Simtropolis, and it was born from my affinity with winter. Where I am from, we never experience 'true winters,' and I've always seen winter-time and snow as something completely magical and other-worldly. I got an idea, that what if there was a large city where it was always winter and always cold? And if this city existed, where would it be? Would it be a magical place? Would it be a place where your imagination could run free? Where this city is located may not even be realistic for such a city to exist there, but I think that adds to the fantasy of it. I have also been incorporating bits and pieces of real history into this city, as will be evident in future updates. This MD will begin where my current one over at ST is. Past updates I have done over at ST will be incorporated into this MD at later dates. I am excited to bring this here, and to be joining SC4D. For some background on 'A City in Winter,' I will start with the history of the city, and then with my most recent update from the ST universe.

So, without further delay, welcome to A City in Winter.

A CITY IN WINTER

WELCOME

In 1856, the United Kingdom sold what is now known as the Ungava Peninsula, north of present-day Quebec, to the United States of America for a mere $50,000,000. In 1860, the land was made an official territory by the United States, and immigrants were encouraged by the government to settle there in order to help alleviate the overcrowding of New York City. By the turn of the 20th century, French, Dutch, German, British and American settlers had founded a sizable township, but the town was without a name. In order to appease everyone, the town was given a simple and indifferent name - A City in Winter. Today, this charming and historic center of commerce and tourism in the remote wilderness of the Great North is anything but simple and indifferent. The city, blanketed in winter nearly year-round, has become a romantic escape of beauty, wilderness, and timeless architecture from two continents.

A City in Winter has seen steady growth in population over the last century, and currently has a population of 379,823. The city's largest industries are manufacturing, tourism, and ice fishing in Hudson Bay to the west. One of the most urban and dense cities in the world, A City in Winter is landlocked and centered in a basin valley between a land of rolling hills and sparse communities. Residents enjoy direct flights to Toronto, Quebec, Ottawa, Montreal, Boston, and New York City via the William Smith International Airport, as does the city's only professional sports team - the NHL Arctics.

The city is comprised of five distinct districts representing the different communities of settlers who claimed stake to different parts of the orignial township. The Dutch & German district is known as the Winter King District, the French district is known as Montferrand District, the British district is known as King Charles I District, and the American district is known as Towne Centre. Canal District is the newest, and most modern district in the entire city. Several villages and communities are spread throughout the outskirts of the city, and south to the Leaf River, which is a neutral zone separating the United States from Canada. A City in Winter lies just ten miles north of Leaf River.

CANAL DISTRICT PREVIEW

There is so much history in the city, that one may forget it exists in modern times. Canal District will remind you. In 1985, work began to widen the small Deinschwang River between Towne Centre and the Winter King District in order to develop the city's first modern urban area. The plan also called for the construction of a new convention center, and the burying of Canadian Avenue in order to make room for it. Many city leaders at the time thought the plan was absurd and unrealistic. They were wrong.

Construction on the canal took ten years to complete, as there were only certain times out of the year that the water was not frozen and work could be done. However, in those ten years, construction on the park, boardwalk and anchoring buildings was completed. In 1990, the James S. Convention Center was completed, and Canadian Ave. had gone below ground level. In 1995, to coincide with the completion of the canal, two residential towers opened. The park and canal saw success, and tourists and residents alike braved the cold in order to sit at one of the many wooden tables overlooking the beautiful and (during most times of the year) frozen canal. The 2000s saw another boom for the district, and for city tourism as well. In 2003, the Grand Hyatt A City in Winter, the largest hotel in the city, opened on the banks of the canal. 2004 saw the construction of two twin office buildings located on the park grounds, which has since become home to the A City in Winter Convention & Visitors Bureau. In 2005, the Williamson Museum of Ice and Winter Art opened on the canal, and has long been a favorite of tourists. The most recent addition to the park though is one that nearby residents get the most enjoyment out of. Just last year, the subterranean Apple Store Canal Park opened, and has since been dubbed the 'ice cube' by locals. And of course, no urban park would be complete without Starbucks.

CLICK IMAGE TO VIEW FULL-SIZE

(A City in Winter Convention & Visitors Bureau - top left; James S. Convention Center - bottom left; Apple Store Canal Park - top center; Williamson Museum of Ice and Winter Art - right; Grand Hyatt A City in Winter - bottom right)

MORE TO COME...

Swordmaster

Always good to see a new MD starting. Welcome! I'm not particularly familiar with Simtropolis, so I have no idea where this is going. Judging from your introduction, this could be very good, though. The first picture certainly is.

Cheers
Willy

M4346

That is a very beautiful shot! I'm looking forward to more great things from your MD! ;D

M
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

metarvo

Welcome to SC4D, Spursrule14!  It's good to see A City in Winter show up over here.  If what I saw over there is any indication, then we are in for a true winter wonderland.  This is a nice update to start out with.

:thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.