• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

JDatPacker

Started by memo, May 05, 2014, 01:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daddy32992

Hey all. I'm having trouble using JdatPacker. Im very new to this so I really don't have a clue where I'm going wrong. Im using a mac version of SC4. My main issue is that my game crashes (just a black screen) upon opening, so I downloaded Jdatpacker to use on the plugin folder (I'm trying to get the NamNetworkaddon to work) but now I'm stuck. Can someone help please?

memo

I'm afraid you need to provide a bit more information on what you get stuck with, as it is impossible to help you, otherwise.

nirasa

Thank you. Nice program. It works very well in LinuxMint 18.

ChiefZDN

Why I can't datpack the DAT correctly? I'm want to merge SimCity_1.dat with the CAM I-HT patch file. I'm using OpenJDK 8 (JDK, not JRE) on elementary OS 0.4 Loki (based on Ubuntu 16.04). The packer is running like normal, but the processing is fast enough, although I'm using a mid-end laptop (Core i3). And, when I check the destination folder, I saw the folder is still empty. I was debugging with the terminal and the program sent (100,).

mgb204

Have you tried installing the JRE and using that, since the JDK isn't really meant for running Java applications so much as making/testing them? It could be what's causing your problem. To tell you what the code 100 means, you'd need to speak to the developer, Memo, who hasn't been around for a long time now. So that's really not any help with determining the issue.

ChiefZDN

Quote from: mgb204 on April 23, 2017, 03:10:33 PM
Have you tried installing the JRE and using that, since the JDK isn't really meant for running Java applications so much as making/testing them? It could be what's causing your problem. To tell you what the code 100 means, you'd need to speak to the developer, Memo, who hasn't been around for a long time now. So that's really not any help with determining the issue.

OpenJDK 8 (JDK edition) already include the JRE. The installation is completed without any errors.

mgb204

The point is that you need to run the app through the JRE, not the JDK. It probably doesn't matter which install the JRE came from, then again they may not be identical, so it might be worth a try?

Datpacking is a straightforward enough process, if it's not outputting a packed file, I can only assume there is an issue somewhere with compatibility and your system. Because a JAVA app isn't installed code, it's just run from it's container, that really shouldn't be a problem. Of course if changes in Java have led to an issue with the code, you may find an older version of Java works? But frankly I'm just speculating here.

I guess the first thing to check is whether it can dat pack any files at all, or if the issue is specific to SimCity_1.dat. Given that's a really large file, it takes more resources to handle the operation. After that make sure you have full permissions for running the app and accessing the input/output folders. From the command line you may need to use SUDO to elevate the permissions given to the app. Otherwise be sure you are checking the correct output location for the dat packed files.

eagle74

Running Jdat Packer to pack SimCity_1 with the IHT fix dat file does not give any output to the destination folder.  The program runs for several seconds & says it completed successfully, but the output folder is still empty.  I put the two files to be packed in a subfolder of the source directory on my desktop & created a new folder on my desktop for the output.  I am running Win 7 64 bit with the latest version of Java.

etg-nc2nyc

I realize this is an old thread, but I'll take my chances.  :)

I'm running OSX El Capitan 10.11.6 on a macbook pro. My Java version is Java 8 Update 161.

When I run/open JDatPacker-0.1.3.jar via Jar Launcher 15.0.1 (the only option I see and it's the default if I just double click the .jar file), I get the following error:
"The Java JAR file 'JDatPacker-0.1.3.jar' could not be launched. Check the Console for possible error messages."

I'm not sure what or where the "Console" is and if I did, I wouldn't understand it, but if you need it to help me, I will seek it out and post it.

Can you help?
Thank you!
"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted." - Aesop

etg-nc2nyc

Just popping back by to say on a wild chance I thought I would download from Github and try... that worked! ;D Not sure why. Anyway... great product. Thank you for the hard work!  &apls :thumbsup:
"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted." - Aesop