• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Help, OSX 10.10.5, STEAM version Plugins location

Started by mac_user_oh, December 03, 2015, 10:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mac_user_oh

The set up: OSX 10.10.5 Yosemite, STEAM Simcity 4 (1920 x 1080), NAM 32 and few buildings and PEG files. All work great!

Breakdown of system: Desktop with 55 gb Yosemite SSD partition, Storage (half empty) 4 tb HD :: i7 3770k, 32 gb RAM, dual Evga 660 ti 2 gb       

My issue is that my start up disk has obviously limited space and I'ld like to move the plugins & regions folders to the 4 tb drive.

I thought this would have an easy fix of creating a Plugins folder on the 4 tb drive then create an alias folder in the Documents Simcity 4 Plugins. This did not work.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

APSMS

Are you running the re-released Aspyr port (from the app store),  or the Windows version via Wine?

I think if you are running with Wine, that you can still use the Windows shortcut target line commands to redirect the plugins folder to right spot. See this thread, reference to the User directory

Otherwise, I have no idea. The Aspyr port is beyond my purview.

Oh, and welcome to the forums!
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

mac_user_oh

Hey APSMS,

I think my post is unclear.

I purchased Simcity 4 through the STEAM store $4.99 (12-2-2015)

STEAM version is both Windows/Mac compatible.

I'm not using WINE or Windows.

I've 10.10.5 OS X Yosemite

Not using any port just opening STEAM - Selecting Simcity 4 and the game works!

The ISSUE is that my 55gb SSD startup drive is nearly full. I'ld like the Plugins on the 4 tb drive. But creating an Alias (shortcut) from the 4 tb Simcity 4 Plugin folder to the My Documents SSD Simcity 4 Plugins = NOT WORKING.

art128

I may be wrong, but I don't think it's possible to shortcut your plugins like that. IIRC they need to be on the same drive as the game.

Honestly with 55GB left on your SSD you can put your plugins on it. I doubt you have 50GB of plugins anyway. With them on the SSD you'll benefit from the speed of SSD vs HDD.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

mac_user_oh

Hey art128,

The hard drive is a total size of 120 gb
55 gb Startup Yosemite takes up around 44 gb then with applications and docs
it is nearly maxed out.
60 is Timemachine backup
This 120 gb is backed up with a different backup software to an external 500 gb drive.

APSMS

Just to be sure, have you tried using the startup options in the Steam app properties? (right-click on SC4 and click properties, then edit the shortcut target line option)

If this doesn't work (or isn't functional), you could always try reinstalling SC4 to the storage drive, but unfortunately I am unfamiliar with Mac's ability in this regard. I doubt Steam has an issue with this. Likely it is programmed to create a new Steamapps framework on the 4tb drive if it does work, but again this is probably more dependent on the OS rather than Steam.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

mac_user_oh

Thanks APSMS and art128,

I uninstalled Simcity 4 and reinstalled to 4 tb drive. There is still a created Simcity 4 folder in My Documents. But not to worry. The reinstall worked! just had to dig into the SImcity 4 file to properly place plugins.

I've attached screen shots of how folders are set up, and in game screen grab.
Hope this thread helps other Mac OS X gamers.

It is a bit slow on loading, but game runs well. Have some PEG, BSC, NAM 32 and others.

mac_user_oh

I have a new issue.

For certain PEG and BSC files. I am unable to File Juice/Wine bottle etc. the EXC file to utilize lots

For example: BLS NAM MAAM Avenue Roundabout Fillers BSC (v1.0) IS an EXC file. When I get the files to the lot extracted from the exc. And run the game, the game crashes and wipes out all saved region data, but because of how the files are saved the plugins are unaffected. Also helps that every time i download any new plugins I save those onto another external drive.
In hind sight I should have probably saved my regions this way as well.

But to the issue, could someone please explain or share via the LEX the base file sets that are MAC OS compatible

Or do I have to just enjoy what does work.

I would also like to express my desire for someone to create a MAC OS version of NAM 34 equivalent compatible for 10.10.5 as it is understood that El Capitan has NAM compatible issues, and as such I've determined not to update my OS. If I do it will be on a different drive and in the distant future.