• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

ÆRDEN ~ new streets!

Started by vortext, May 31, 2013, 11:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vortext

Quote from: romualdillo on June 01, 2014, 04:03:10 PM
It's a great job vortext! I can appreciate all the work and dedication you put in every detail!!! But sometimes I can't get back to the general map for some reason... Nevertheless, the images and the map are incredible!!!

Thank you! The return to map was one of the wonky issues. Ended up with a click in the exact same spot while I wanted a click anywhere function. At any rate, don't move your mouse while the picture is on the forefront.  ;)

Quote from: FrankU on June 02, 2014, 02:11:50 AM
Beautiful Erik!
Congratulations with your achievements.  &apls

Thanks Frank!

Quote from: Simcoug on June 02, 2014, 06:37:08 AM
Very cool idea!  I had fun clicking around the map - it all worked very well, except like romualdillo I had difficulty getting back to the main map sometimes.  How did you create such a neat looking map?  It's very LOTRish. 
Great work!  And I think I even spied some flying gulls over the castle ramparts  :)

Thanks! Map was made first of all with a couple of flattened region views from which I derived water contours, paths and approximate location of landmarks. Then I used PS brushes to dress it up a bit (this one in particular). Those brushes are the primary reason it turned out rather fantasy like (besides the fact I got carried away while using them  :D ). Especially considering I was aiming for something more along the lines of the Blaeu Atlas, for example. Ah well, that's for next time.  :)

Quote from: krashspeed on June 03, 2014, 02:26:35 PM
Nice, everything looks and works great! &apls

Thank you!

Quote from: c.p. on June 03, 2014, 10:27:42 PM
Hmm, this is an interesting, original and unexpected project. :thumbsup:  I agree with Simcoug that the map has a Lord of the Rings look.

Thanks! It was a sudden flash of inspiration.   :D

Quote from: epicblunder on June 04, 2014, 08:08:43 AM
I love that map.  Have to agree with CP; it's very Middle Earth style.

Then you, in turn, agree with Simcoug I guess.  ;) Thanks!

Quote from: Themistokles on June 04, 2014, 09:15:42 AM
Wow, the curvy roads with their textures really fit in seamlessly with their surroundings (they were good already earlier, but they're awesome put to real use), and I agree with everyone else on the map - and it really sets the mood brilliantly for the images.

Just wondering (slightly off-topic, but anyway)... do you use seasonal trees?

Thanks for the kind words! And yes, I use seasonal trees in abundance;D

Quote from: feyss on June 04, 2014, 11:29:19 AM
I really like this interactive map. That's a nice idea you had there.  ;)

Thanks! It really opens up a lot of possibilities, doesn't it!?  ;)

Quote from: Indiana Joe on June 04, 2014, 11:29:58 AM
:D  He is THE seasonal tree man.  Check out the Arden Tree mod.  Great stuff.

I also want to throw in my approval of that awesome Tolkien-esque map. I had a phase when I was young where I was fascinated by those; drew quite a few.

Thanks! I've drawn my fair share of maps as well and am still quite fascinated with them, old ones in particular.

Quote from: noahclem on June 06, 2014, 04:46:14 PM
I've really enjoyed the great work you've done with Ærden over the last year generally and specifically in these most recent updates I've been enjoying. It's very rare for me to miss an update here but I know of at least a couple times I hadn't gotten around to replying to one update before the next is published because I wasn't yet sure what words I should say that would fittingly respond to what you've put on display. You're all over the board with what you're up to, whether it's all flavors of modding, various software competencies related to SC4, effects directory business, storytelling with flair, or just great city-building. And your gift of sharing as you learn has hugely benefited the community at this site and beyond--though I'm most grateful for how it's benefited me  ;D 

A huge congratulations for an amazing year  &apls &apls &apls

How can I fittingly respond to your kind words Noah?!  &blush Thank you!!

Quote from: Schulmanator on June 07, 2014, 06:04:07 AM
Delightful! And happy anniversary!

Thanks!

Quote from: Swordmaster on June 11, 2014, 12:08:29 PM
Happy anniversary Erik. Great work here as always.

I remember something about the full screen color issue - if I'm not mistaken you might find info about this in one of Ennedi's threads.

Cheers
Willy

Thank you and nice to see you around again Willy!

As you may be able to tell, the Historic Harbor project took another step towards release. Besides having a nice banner, last Friday marked the start of the beta fase. Exciting times for sure! To get an impression what the set looks like when put into action, here's a picture courtesy of Paeng

For more, visit the Historic Harbor Support Thread over at SimPeg!  "$Deal"$

Other item for today has to do with the reason I wanted to learn Flash in the first place. Somewhere in February, when I started actual building, I'd excitedly captured every change in season, either for props or flora, during a year and ended up with 24 pictures, which I wanted to turn into a seasonal gif of course. Specifically, I wanted to make a proper chronological gif by compressing the course of a year into an animation of exactly a minute. I figured at 24 frames a second, one day takes ~4 frames. Or to put it another way, 1 second represents 6 days, thus 60 seconds represents 360 days. Close enough.

However, Photoshop could not handle the processing involved and refused to export the gif unless I re-sized dimensions to post stamp size. Obviously not an option so I began looking for alternatives. At the time I deemed Flash too heavy handed for a simple animation, if one could even call it that since it boils down to a bunch of consecutive fades.

Anyway, turns out Flash is great for simple animation! Despite the fact original image dimensions have been retained and it lasts a minute, file size is half compared to previous gifs. And those always had to be restricted in size & duration to begin with. So, I'm rather pleased to present you: a year in a minute. Enjoy!

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/zklysjye1aq616c/1y60s.swf
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

art128

Wow. What a nice animation.
I love the passage from summer to autumn, really well done.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

epicblunder

Really nifty seasonal gif. 

And i always love your old-world style, but why no diagonals on the spam fields?   ???

vortext

Blunder, at the time I hadn't re-lotted the previous relots yet!  :D

Here you'll see they've been brought up to par since.  ;)
time flies like a bird

epicblunder

Aha!  Much better answer than mine: i would have said i was just lazy.    :P

romualdillo

OMG!!! That Harbour!!! You're doing a grat job... That team helds the best among the best!! And those farms look superb!!

benedict

That harbor is just amazing - very nice work.
Click on the banner to celebrate!

FrankU

Beautiful animation!  &apls

Although I have some comments on the farms. As a start they are nice, but they are not yet finished in my opinion. Where are all the small props? Cattle, chicken, haybales, laundry lines, flowers, shrubs, water pumps, buckets, dirt, dust and rubbish in general, piles of wood or stuff, maybe a fence here and there....
And I am still not fond of the funny SPAM crops (but that is why I made my own set). But everyone has his own taste of course!

vortext

Yes my friends, the day is finally here: the Historic Harbor is available! For those unfamiliar with the project or in need of a reminder, here a quick summary.

Creators
KrashSpeed - BATing
Vortext - Lotting/Modding
SimCoug - Lotting/Modding

Description
Historic Harbor is a comprehensive 'modular set' that includes over 1,000 BATed models, a wide assortment of MMPs, and over 100 individual lots (each with custom icons). We named it 'Historic Harbor' because it is supposed to represent what a harbor might look like in the late 19th century, but that doesn't mean it can't be used in conjunction with modern cities. Look around at many waterfront cities today and you will find traces from a bygone era.

Dependencies
None!
Everything included in this download has been hand crafted for use with this set and any future 'Historic' add-ons. We will be updating the Historic Harbor - Dependencies with additional props/textures/resource files in order to consolidate everything in one 'master' dependency.

I could talk quite a bit how the project has gone far above and beyond anything I imagined when Simcoug send the first PM, almost two years ago now, inquiring about modular harbor lots (I had just made one). Let alone how we, the crew, regard this as the foundation on which to build..

However for now I'll just say: get your copy on the STEX!!

And if despite our best efforts you happen to come across a mishap, or have questions and remarks otherwise, please let us know in the Historic Harbor Support Thread either on SimPeg or Simtropolis. Or you may post it here too, if that's more convenient.

Quote from: art128 on June 15, 2014, 02:53:47 PM
Wow. What a nice animation.
I love the passage from summer to autumn, really well done.

Thanks Arthur!

Quote from: epicblunder on June 15, 2014, 05:07:34 PM
Really nifty seasonal gif. 

And i always love your old-world style, but why no diagonals on the spam fields?   ???

Thanks! Diagonals have been explained.  ;)

Quote from: romualdillo on June 16, 2014, 09:44:25 AM
OMG!!! That Harbour!!! You're doing a grat job... That team helds the best among the best!! And those farms look superb!!

Thank you! Enjoy the harbors!  :)

Quote from: benedict on June 19, 2014, 06:10:10 PM
That harbor is just amazing - very nice work.

Thanks!

Quote from: FrankU on June 24, 2014, 06:59:32 AM
Beautiful animation!  &apls

Although I have some comments on the farms. As a start they are nice, but they are not yet finished in my opinion. Where are all the small props? Cattle, chicken, haybales, laundry lines, flowers, shrubs, water pumps, buckets, dirt, dust and rubbish in general, piles of wood or stuff, maybe a fence here and there....
And I am still not fond of the funny SPAM crops (but that is why I made my own set). But everyone has his own taste of course!

The short answer would actually be Blunder's: I'm just lazy.  :D

The slightly longer answer is that, as I'm sure you know, good lotting takes a lot of time and effort and these are large lots to begin with, the smallest being 4x5. Moreover, the lots serve to build an initial R$ foundation throughout the region and as such aesthetics were secondary really, though I did make a custom LE texture which blends into the terrain nicely. Anyway, taking that into account I opted for simple LOTting with a few fences and the occasional flock of sheep thrown in. The idea being I can easily dress them up with MMPs whenever it's called for and/or I feel like it, which allows for more variety and flexibility in appearances.

As for the SPAM crops, well, they're seasonal and have diagonal fillers. . there're not many crops which can match those two requirements. Though I do have two additional fields with Girafe's and CP's wheat and I'm about to introduce some SG crops as well.

So, at this point you may wonder, what about Ærden? And what about this MD? It started out pretty decent, at least I'd reckon so, with a good story line and pretty mmp scenes but it veered off more and more into developmental updates until it kinda went silent the last half year or so.

Well, during all this I've continued to build up the region in a slow but steady pace and as of yet it's proudly home to no less than 10738 sims. Besides that I've read up on the feudal system and medieval history of Europe in general and as such, the region is now in similar shape as implied by the initial story line. That is to say, with family farms scattered throughout the valley, a ruin here, a few Roman remnants there and the first city walls being erected. In other words, the story is about to continue. .

However, before doing so I realize there's one thing this MD has been lacking more than anything else. . . teasers!  ;D

Bye for now, Erik.
time flies like a bird

noahclem

It's finally here  :o  &hlp  &dance :party: %BUd% :party:  :D

Can't wait to try out this amazing and long-awaited project, which would seem a masterpiece from the three of you. I saw a lot of remnants of older times in the harbors and shorelines in Tanzania and some of this could fit very nicely with my Africa project. Be sure to pat yourselves on the backs and uncork a tasty beverage or two in honor of your accomplishment ;)

QuoteIt started out pretty decent, at least I'd reckon so

Heh, I reckon too  :D  I've enjoyed whatever you've produced here including both the more prepared stuff and the WIP stuff. The future sounds very exciting (and interesting). Beautiful teaser pic  &apls

Swordmaster

Amazing stuff Erik. I'm still fazed by that animation!

Great work on the harbor stuff--too bad I stick to modding these days or this stuff would find its self-evident place in PSC!

Cheers
Willy

memo

Quote from: Swordmaster on September 04, 2014, 11:39:44 AM

ROFL, I've just stared onto the JPG for three minutes, gradually persuading myself of seeing the animation effect. :D Erik, it seems you don't need to learn Flash to create those wonderful animations, if you can achieve the same effect with JPG on fools like me.

compdude787

Quote from: memo on September 04, 2014, 12:58:36 PM

ROFL, I've just stared onto the JPG for three minutes, gradually persuading myself of seeing the animation effect. :D Erik, it seems you don't need to learn Flash to create those wonderful animations, if you can achieve the same effect with JPG on fools like me.

Wow, I thought the same thing too! I thought Willy was referring to the teaser.
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

c.p.

I look forward to downloading this huge and amazing project and checking it out. &apls
(Thanks memo and compdude787 for saving me some time :D)

Also, the upcoming MD action sounds intriguing :thumbsup:

Kergelen

Congrats "Harbour Team" to finally complete this ambitious project &apls

Fascinating animation vortext! Love the calm atmosphere of your rural/historic MD and I'm looking forward to see where it'll go.

Links to SC4 websites

Schulmanator

Great stuff! This will be a highly valued addition to the game!  :satisfied:
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

romualdillo

This is great!!!!!  &apls  Congratulations for your great work and the final release!!!!

And now...   ;D When are we going to see your excellent road textures??  :D

feyss

What an amazing work. I think you would have spent a lot of time to do this. It just seems like another game, that's fantastic.

I'm also happy to see a picture of Aerden because you did'nt post it a lot since a while as you explained it. You talked about city walls and it really retains my attention. I can't wait to see more.  :thumbsup:

vortext

Quote from: noahclem on September 04, 2014, 04:43:50 AM
It's finally here  :o  &hlp  &dance :party: %BUd% :party:  :D

Can't wait to try out this amazing and long-awaited project, which would seem a masterpiece from the three of you. I saw a lot of remnants of older times in the harbors and shorelines in Tanzania and some of this could fit very nicely with my Africa project. Be sure to pat yourselves on the backs and uncork a tasty beverage or two in honor of your accomplishment ;)

QuoteIt started out pretty decent, at least I'd reckon so

Heh, I reckon too  :D  I've enjoyed whatever you've produced here including both the more prepared stuff and the WIP stuff. The future sounds very exciting (and interesting). Beautiful teaser pic  &apls

Thanks Noah! I'm looking forward to see what you come up with! Also glad to hear you enjoyed the wip stuff, it kinda felt like a cop-out some times.  :-[ As for the future, I'm pretty excited about it as well, both in terms of MD and regional development.  :)

Great work on the harbor stuff--too bad I stick to modding these days or this stuff would find its self-evident place in PSC!

Cheers
Willy

Thank you Willy! It's kinda sad though to hear you don't play anymore. On the other hand your far-tastic work more than makes up for it in terms of awesomeness.  :)

Haha, well, you could've told me earlier and saved me the trouble indeed!  :D Though in some instances a mere jpg can actually induce perception of motion.

Quote from: compdude787 on September 04, 2014, 08:14:37 PM

Wow, I thought the same thing too! I thought Willy was referring to the teaser.

yeah, blaming Willy are we?! Fools. . ;D ;)

Quote from: c.p. on September 04, 2014, 09:19:46 PM
I look forward to downloading this huge and amazing project and checking it out. &apls
(Thanks memo and compdude787 for saving me some time :D)

Also, the upcoming MD action sounds intriguing :thumbsup:

jeez not you too! Thanks!

Quote from: Kergelen on September 05, 2014, 01:05:21 AM
Congrats "Harbour Team" to finally complete this ambitious project &apls

Fascinating animation vortext! Love the calm atmosphere of your rural/historic MD and I'm looking forward to see where it'll go.

Thank you! I'm actually curious to see how it pans out myself as well!  :)

Quote from: Schulmanator on September 06, 2014, 01:44:00 PM
Great stuff! This will be a highly valued addition to the game!  :satisfied:

Thanks! I hope you'll enjoy it!

Quote from: romualdillo on September 06, 2014, 04:54:21 PM
This is great!!!!!  &apls  Congratulations for your great work and the final release!!!!

And now...   ;D When are we going to see your excellent road textures??  :D

Thanks! As for your question. .. erm. . .well. that's the next project in line indeed . . so . . soonish. . maybe?  ::)

Quote from: feyss on September 07, 2014, 01:04:34 AM
What an amazing work. I think you would have spent a lot of time to do this. It just seems like another game, that's fantastic.

I'm also happy to see a picture of Aerden because you did'nt post it a lot since a while as you explained it. You talked about city walls and it really retains my attention. I can't wait to see more.  :thumbsup:

Thank you! It took a while to complete indeed. Also glad you liked the picture!

Speaking of transit stuff: sidewalk compliant props.

What am I talking about?!

Well, a long known yet rarely used trick allows one to take a transit texture, assign it to flat S3D model and use that as a prop. And it's actually that last part, using it as a prop, that is hardly ever done (a lot of NAM networks use flat S3D models). Anyway, the subject came up a number of times during HH development but it was never quite suitable for our purposes. To date the only practical application I can think of are JENX' Paris quays.

The obvious advantage is that the quay pavement automatically takes on the sidewalk texture, regardless whichever sidewalk mod is installed. The big drawback is also glaringly obvious: there's quite a difference in brightness.

So, along came these sound walls.

Bare with me, this is relevant.

The author mentioned he changed material settings in the Reader in order to have truly transparent glass. And that got me thinking: would it be possible to add a diffuse texture to the S3D, on top of the sidewak texture, in order to tone down the brightness?

In short: yes, yes it is.  ()stsfd()

So, now what?

Well for starters you can find a tweaked version of the Quais Sidewalk S3D file attached to this post. Please note that while I think there's very little chance of adverse side effects usage of this file is at your own risk. I did not test it in any meaningful way.

Other than that we, Krashspeed, Simcoug and myself, are currently drawing up plans for the first ever sidewalk compliant prop pack. Think driveway and path props, in addition to overhanging diagonals and various FAR shapes. Ideal for filler pieces and c.p.'s awesome FAR BATs for instance.
Given the models are pretty simple and the modding involved is quite straightforward as well, it shouldn't take too long for it to hit the shelves.

For those who cannot wait that long and/or want to start their own tinkering I've compiled this little download. It contains a complete sidewalk prop, along with the .PNG and .PSD file of the diffuse texture and a screenshot of the material settings in order to achieve transparency. It is assumed you know your way around the Reader (i.e. add S3D group, change materials, etc).

That's it for now, but not without leaving you with another teaser of course.  ;)

time flies like a bird

Girafe

Excellent job with the diffuse color, it was my missing puzzle piece (too far for my knowledge :()

I will apply that for my bus stops :)

If you allow me, there is still a slight difference, the color of sidewalk is a little bit more reddish, any chance you tweak it perfectly  ::)
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    *