• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threestooges

I'm not that skilled at texturing (or photo editing for that matter) so for that part alone, well done. Overall, it looks great. I hope you found my comments on the FAR useful, and I hope that you'll need some testers for this when it's ready; I'll be happy to help.
-Matt

Alfred.Jones

I've been watching this thread for some time and I can't hold on anymore!!

OMG!!!!

This is absolutely amazing work David :thumbsup:

You are a champion!!!!!

Sim City 4 Devotion

dedgren

Hey, what the heck...

Let's break the rail grid once and for all before midnight, Alaska time (GMT-9).

As you can see, we still have an issue with color matching at farther out (lower number) view levels.  I'm going to work on this while the pathing/puzzle-piece work is being done.  It's my understanding that the textures are pretty easy to swap out.

Here's the payoff.

So, it's off to bed.  I'll wrap the "large end" fractional angle curve up first thing in the morning, and get back to all the other things we've been working on.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

TheTeaCat

Stupendous  &apls &apls &apls

Ground breaking ain't the word for this.

I really don't know what else to say .........

But Bravo  &apls

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

JoeST

Quote from: TheTeaCat on May 18, 2008, 12:55:45 AM
I really don't know what else to say .........
I am having that problem as well... Its just all too good for words...

Thankyou

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

bat

That's looking really really beautiful, David! Wonderful progress! :thumbsup:

Doctor Soul

Say... not to be a spoilsport, but maybe it's time the FAR and the FARR get their own dev thread?  :P

Absolutely stunning stuff this is. I never thought I'd see this happen, but I just did!  &apls

szarkoz

David, they are looking really great! Thanks for your work :thumbsup:
If you can't read my nick, just call me Tom.

etherian

I don't think any of us can even been to imagine what this will do to our rail networks, this is absolutely stunning work.

If I may be so bold as to suggest something, would it be possible for a FAR puzzle piece to turn more than 90°? Handy for hairpin turns and creating tight switchbacks for mountains. :)
Typographia - Type as Cities" border="0

Types as Cities | Now Showing: Lucida

superhands

those rail curves are really taking shape :thumbsup:
and yes i did loose a couple 9's. :D

dave

warszawa

That is awesome work David my friend &apls. The rail works are stunning! It is good to see that you are turning Sim City 4 into a more realistic game.
Looking forwards to seeing more of your work :thumbsup:.

Alex
Visit my Warsaw, Poland MD.

Shadow Assassin

Man, this looks awesome...

It's hard work, that's for sure.

...though I won't say that it takes me about 5 minutes to create a texture and alpha map... I've got a few tricks up my sleeve...hehe.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Andreas

Quote from: dedgren on May 18, 2008, 12:49:11 AM
As you can see, we still have an issue with color matching at farther out (lower number) view levels.  I'm going to work on this while the pathing/puzzle-piece work is being done.  It's my understanding that the textures are pretty easy to swap out.

David, try my SFBT Rail Texture Mod that was posted some weeks ago. It contains a file that darkens the Maxis rail texture for zoom 1 to 4. For some reason, Maxis decided to make those textures brighter, and you'd have to adjust the brightness manually for all those textures.

But if you look at other custom textures, pretty much everybody only processed the zoom 1 to 4 textures with FiSHMan or SC4Tool, so they are darker (including most of the NAM rail textures). My mod was an approach to fix this issue, and I think the darker textures look quite well in zoom 4 and below.

That said, excellent work on the new textures, and especially the alpha maps. I can imagine how tedious it is to create them, even if you can use some shortcuts in your graphics program, like it was suggested.
Andreas

dedgren

Here they come!

These are the FARR wide curve pieces.

There's an 6x2 S-curve, a 7x3 45 degree curve, and a 9x9 (probably broken into a smaller "A" and "B" puzzle-piece) 90 degree curve.

As for the fractional angle curves and segments, there are...

...a 5x2 "short" curve end, a 7x9 "long" curve end, and a 3x2 straight segment.

So, here's a FARR enhanced rail line across a generic quad.

So, what do these actually look like in the game?  Well, thanks to Andreas and SFBT, pretty good.

Those were cobbled together pretty quickly- I'm sure you all will do much better once these are released.

I'm goin' outside for a while.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

debutterfly

Wow...what's next FARHW?  ;)

dragonshardz

No what's next is FAR-RHW

Tarkus

Quote from: dragonshardz on May 18, 2008, 04:45:17 PM
No what's next is FAR-RHW

Well, FARHW could be considered a portmanteau of FAR and RHW . . . it rolls off the tongue better.  FaRHW.

It looks like I have my work cut out for me. :D

And those Rail pieces look stunning!

-Alex (Tarkus)

Nardo69

Be careful when walking in here it's slippery from all drool from (I guess not only) me   :D  :thumbsup:

If you go on like this you are going to make the MSTS obsolete ...  :thumbsup:

EDITBernhard, wow!  A truly treasured "Double-0" moment has snuck up on us.  It hasn't been missed. -DE

petercintn

Hey!

Been browsing the maps of 3RR and am thoughly impressed.  David, I believe this project is umprecedented.   &apls

And I've been meaning to coment on your little side sig, part of a quote from my favorite songwriter.  In Bents you even have Broken Arrow Lake.  (Am I showing my age here?)

Finally, you know, some folks just write books.  It would be easier!  Keep up the great work, though I've been away for awhile, I've been cheering on the sidelines.

EDIT:  Any friend of Neil's is a very, very good friend of mine.  Peter, you are the first 3RR Regular (those folks who have commented at least once here or at 3RR-ST) to catch the "Broken Arrow" reference.  Only an old man like me with a heart of gold would be working like a hurricane to keep 3RR rockin' in the free world (and everywhere else!).  Don't even ask me about Leonard Cohen, Jackson Browne and Aimee Mann. -DE
Carolina Tar Heels... National Champs again!