• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

High Speed Rail Project (HSRP)

Started by Jonathan, August 19, 2007, 02:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CasperVg

I will be happy to LOT it, if needed.
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

Jonathan

I thought I'd give a go at textureing and modelling, so I decided to try out making a 3 way split of HSRP, this is what I got so far from editing existing textures and models.
So does it look good or is it not worth it?

Andreas

I'd say this looks excellent. :)
Andreas

JoeST

And I would have to agree whole heartedly with Andreas... It is rather amazing

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

CasperVg

Oh yeah, it looks really good!
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

Cosmic

Nice. &apls

A split like that could be very useful in a lot of situations...  ;D

and would reduce the amount of work required in taking up a bunch of space with two turns right after another in opposite directions...

cogeo

Just tested the HSR. Great Work!

I have found though a problem and it's quite serious. The GHSR plugin contains a texture using instance IDs in the range 0x0004040#. The group ID is 0x1ABE787D. This causes conflicts with BAT models, and more specifically those exported at instance ID range 0x0004####. ALL BATs using this ID range have the zoom 5 rotation 0 aspect not displayed properly. The 0x1ABE787D group ID is the "default" one, used throughout the SC4 dats (networks and BAT textures) and as a result ALL BATs in the 0x0004#### range are affected. Most BATs are using the 0x0003#### range but there are many BATs in the 0x0004#### range too. With so many BATs and props released on the STEX and LEX, expect complaints from players. At least three of my BATs are affected (I can post pics if you wish, but I think it's not necessary).

Fortunately this is easy to fix, just pick a different range, renumber the textures and update the model that references them (0x5DCFF170). Players won't need to bulldoze anything. I hope this is fixed soon.

Now some questions:
- The GHSR track is 1 meter above ground, but as you said this is about to change. What will the new height be, 0?
- Has HSR/GHSR been tested with left-hand driving versions? That is are left-hand driving paths included in NAM's LH-driving plugin?
- What's the ID of the straight GHSR tile?
I'm making some lots (GHSR stations), so I need to know.

Thanks in advance.

Jonathan

Thanks,
Yes someone said about that glitch, I have been busy for most of the weekend/bank holiday, with only short amounts of time in between where I have access to my PC.

The new height should be 0
The LHD paths are an option in the HSR Installer.
The IID of straight GHSR, is 5dc31500, hsr is 5dd31500. (all GHSr are 5dc all HSRare  5dd)
Hope you finish them.

Also some people have said the HSRP hub that was released at the same time, doesn't work, I don't know much about TE, and don't have enough time to check it myself, so can someone take a look?

Andreas

Quote from: Warrior on May 05, 2008, 09:17:33 AM
Also some people have said the HSRP hub that was released at the same time, doesn't work, I don't know much about TE, and don't have enough time to check it myself, so can someone take a look?

I got some similar complaints from various German users. I didn't touch the TE apart from changing the "Transit Switch Entry Cost" to a value that was suggested by jplumbley. Unfortunately, I don't have lots amount of time to test the station properly, but that value might be too high for some users who like to use the station as a commuter station, rather than a regional transportation hub, as it was intended.
Andreas

thundercrack83

I like the 3-way split, Jonathan! I can't wait to see how you implement it!

Chrisim

Quote from: Warrior on May 05, 2008, 09:17:33 AM
It works fine when there is enough demand:

I guess that some players do not understand the meaning of HSR: High Speed Rail. In Germany, the equivalent is the InterCityExpress train. That's what it is for: connecting cities with HSR.

wes.janson

Quote from: cogeo on May 05, 2008, 08:27:32 AM
I'm making some lots (GHSR stations), so I need to know.

Thanks in advance.

I cannot wait!

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!

cogeo

I've been playing around with textures for GHSR stations, and I have faced one little problem: the distance between tracks (gauge) for HSR/GHSR is quite shorter, and this makes creating a shared track texture impossible. Why this? HSR wouldn't be narrow-gauge, right? Are there any plans to change this in the future? The distance between tracks (for all kinds of rail) in SC4 is 2.0m. I know this is much more than in reality, by that is how SC4 is made ("small" objects are scaled up in order to enhance details and make them visible in more zoomed-out views).

As a result, the only solution is to make dual-gauge textures, for both commuter and HS rail. So I have made a dual-track texture, as well as "transition" textures, ie GHSR-to-dual-track and Rail-to-dual-track.

Also I have experimented with various connectivity configurations. Again, I will have to make not one, but several versions of basically the same lot, differing only in connections (eg GHSR-at-East, GHSR-at-West, GHSR at Front etc etc). However this is not a viable solution, and can't satisfy all players. For a station with two through tracks (four connections) the number of possible combinations is 15 (2^4 = 16, but there is one combination with all-conventional tracks, so the number of combination with at least one GHSR connections is 15). For even more tracks the number of combinations is prohibitive.

It is possible to TE the lot in such a way that both GHSR and conventional track can be connected to the same position. The solution is TE-ing the lot as conventional rail. Conventional rail can of course be connected normally, while GHSR doesn't need to be really "connected", it can just be "terminated", using the GHSR starter puzzle piece. The problem that keep me from using this solution is aesthetic, ie the GHSR track would turn abruptly to conventional (which is unacceptable because of the gauge difference) or better shared/dual track. What is needed is two terminator/transition puzzle pieces, ie GHSR-to-dual and Rail-to-dual track. If gauge is finally increased to 2.0m, only one puzzle piece would be needed, ie a GHSR-to-rail piece. Can we hope for something like this?

cogeo

Bad news! Just found that the textures I have made need to be reworked.
Warrior, the texture you had posted in this thread was extracted from the network texture, as I was able to see. Nothing wrong with this (and I had taken care of the brightness/contrast differences too), BUT:
- The model displays this part of the texture, measuring 100 (?) pixels in width, on a model area that spans from +6.0 to -6.0 meters, ie it's 12m wide.
- But 12m is the 3/4 of 16m, and this corresponds to 96 pixels of a lot (base or overlay) texture.
- This means that the lot texture does not line up exactly with the network texture.
- This difference of "only" 4% causes noticable visual glitches.
- So your texture needs to be scaled down by some 4% in the X-direction.
That is I neede to fix my textures now. For some weird reason I can't see the UW map on the network model. So could you please tell me the exact coordinates of the UW map (only for the "track" part of the model)? I wouldn't like to find out that the scale was wrong again, after recreating the textures.

choco

the new HSRP is really great guys!  &apls  very nice job....

not sure if its been said, but we could use a GLR under HSR piece....just throwin it out there.  :thumbsup:

edit: i found a station while perusing the japanese BAT sites that looks OK with the HSR....unfortunately, i dont remember where i got it from (im looking for the link, but simtropolis is down).  its called the acchi shinkansen station, and it also has an el-rail counterpart. the only real problem with it is that its missing the PNG file for the menu, so it creates a ghost when scrolling. 

im not that good with modding, but im gonna try to fix it.

edit 2: found it....http://hide-inoki.com/bbs/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=554

edit 3: actually, there's nothing wrong with the station.  i was missing the acchi essentials, groovy now.  http://scssdl.inukubou.com/

dragonshardz

And the default monorail station looks fine with HSR as well.

(Pic later)

~~Dragonshardz~~

Toichus Maximus

wouldn't the monorail station terminal be too small, though, for a trans-regional rail network?

Zack

The HSRP hub does not work for me. there is no activity on the station and I removed the beta. I dont know whats wrong ()what()

cogeo

Hi again,

I have fixed the textures, now they all line-up correctly with the network (as I said before I had to scale the texture down). The textures now include a "station-track" texture (same as the straight one but without those cables), track-to-station transition, dual GHSR/Rail track, as well as GHSR-to-Dual and Rail-to-Dual transitions. Apart from the textures I have made a custom Query dialog (displaying an electric engine), custom sound effects (query and ambient) and paths.

As you can see in the image, the height difference between the track and the ground is not visible. This was done by adding ramp-like props, textured with the "transition" texture. These (together with everything else needed for the height difference) are contained in a single plugin. When the height difference is sorted out, the player (or Clinitol) can remove this plugin, and everything will revert to "normal". That is the players won't need to bulldoze anything.

The above are about to be released in the next few days , as "HSR Stations Essentials", ie a dependency file. I would welcome comments or even wishes, before this is released. So if you think that something is missing and should be included, or if you can contribute (eg you have a good sound file to add), please post in this thread.

choco

&apls  Very nice indeed!

will that use the models from the semitransparent GLR stations?