• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

c.p.'s BAT and Lot Workshop

Started by c.p., November 23, 2012, 04:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simcoug

Quote from: c.p.
Matt: How about Sheboyganian R$ homes? ()what()  (If the set needs more to feel complete, I may make a couple of Oshkosh ones too.)

Looking great!   &apls
The small single family R$ will be especially welcome, as there are not a whole lot those around (bigger structures always get all the glory, I suppose). 

The weather seems to be turning down here in TN, and I actually fired up the LE the other day.  I can't stay away from SC4 for too long.  ;D

c.p.

Thanks carlfatal, romualdillo, and SimCoug :satisfied:

Quote from: carlfatal on November 22, 2014, 03:38:43 PM
Today the Sauk is my favorite. That is a home I would really like to live in, with the balcony - nice! (Maybe I will rebuild it with Sims...)
I look forward to seeing what you come up with if you decide to do it. :)

Matt: I agree about the R$ houses, and I also like to create R$ neighborhoods, so you're not the only one. ;)

Quote from: Simcoug on November 23, 2014, 11:54:58 AM
The weather seems to be turning down here in TN, and I actually fired up the LE the other day.  I can't stay away from SC4 for too long.  ;D
Glad to hear it :thumbsup:

Here are a couple of R$ buildings from Dayton, Ohio, for the Columbus/Dayton set:

Some actual residential buildings in Dayton:

And an aerial map of Dayton from 1870:

mrbisonm

Oh geeeez!, they look great!!!!....almost real.

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

art128

Looks great indeed. That historical pictures is also very nice. :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

dwelln8hss32

I love this discussion and progress on all the work being explored. The homes you are developing are incredible! Excellent work.

A few examples here of historic homes from my hometown in Lawrence, Kansas, which could fit in with this motif:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/35/Duncan_House.JPG

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c3/Goodrich_House.JPG

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ad/House_House.JPG

All metropolitan dreams start somewhere... in the minds of many, in the feet of less, but in the hands and hearts of only few.

Simcoug

Great Dayton additions  :thumbsup:

I love those birds-eye view maps - from first glance, Dayton looks like it could translate into SC4 pretty well, especially with NAM's advancements with FAR. 
It seems like every time I stop by here there are new developments... you must be part machine  :D

c.p.

Thanks Fred, Art, dwelln8ss32 and Matt   :)

dwelln8ss32: your first picture appears to be a very nice Italianate-style house.  The last 2 (also very nice) Queen Anne style, probably from the 1890's, more or less.  I've done a little exploring in that general area (especially Kansas City, and St. Joseph), but most of the buildings that sparked my interest appeared to be too late in 19th century to go with my current set.  I may eventually do a set of buildings (or a set of city sets) covering the 1870's to the very early 1900's, and if I do, the Kansas City/St. Joseph/Lawrence is on my list as one of the cities. :)

Quote from: Simcoug on November 25, 2014, 11:21:42 AM
It seems like every time I stop by here there are new developments... you must be part machine  :D
When I'm making the variations of these buildings, I'm typically doing something else simultaneously, such as cooking or cleaning.  I'll be literally running back and forth between the computer and the stove, for example, for however long it takes to do the cooking.  It takes twice as long to cook or clean things this way, but I get a lot of texturing/rendering done (and it's good exercise :D).

So, I'm kind of wandering around the country aimlessly at the moment, but here are some R$$ duplexes/apartments from Buffalo, for a possible Utica/Buffalo/Syracuse(?) set.  The Albright on the left is in Chicago brick colors, and may be included in the Chicago set.

And here are some shots of real-life Buffalo residential buildings and neighborhoods:

romualdillo

It's incredible how fast (and how well) you work!!! I think I'm getting jealous!! &sly Great work again!!  &apls

compdude787

Quote from: romualdillo on November 27, 2014, 02:20:32 PM
It's incredible how fast (and how well) you work!!! I think I'm getting jealous!! &sly Great work again!!  &apls

Agreed! I'm looking forward to when you release all this stuff...
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

Jack_wilds

Hey CP

if U should want to return to wisconsinite-lands... checkout Sheboygan Falls...

it has a largest number collection of preserved, pre-civil war structures... many examples of Federal/ Greek Revival architecture in commercial, industry and residential...

due to the falls in Sheboygan Falls it fostered one of many first communities in this state... just look for the dams and falls along the rivers and the historical development is likely to be started as pre-civil war...

Simcoug

Cooking up BATs and dinner at the same time!  You are a man of many talents  :D
If this is what we get when you start wandering around the country, then by all means, travel away!
BTW, I'd love to see your take on some late 19th century buildings, if that ever comes to fruition.

art128

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

c.p.

Thanks romualdillo, compdude787, Jack_Wilds, Simcoug, and art128 :)

romualdillo: No, no, no!  Don't be jealous. $%Grinno$%  My buildings are mostly quick and dirty designs with very simple details.  Once you've made the components you want, such as windows and doorframes, and have got your basic textures how you want them, you can recycle and reuse, and it goes a lot faster.  Even then, for me the fast pace is unsustainable.  I'll always crash and burn before too long. ::)

Jack_Wilds:  Thanks for the tip. :thumbsup: Sheboygan Falls has some great buildings.

So back to Chicago for a couple of R$ houses:

vortext

You're on a roll lately!  &apls

The aeriel map fron Dayton is a nice find! :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Simcoug

dwelln8hss32

21 Cragin St. with the blue siding looks a little like my brother's physical house. ::) Except his is facade would be 90 degrees CCW and doesn't have the little extended add-on.

I'm just blown away how cool these Chicago residentials are and quickly coming along. Amazing. KUTGW!

Jake
All metropolitan dreams start somewhere... in the minds of many, in the feet of less, but in the hands and hearts of only few.

2b2gbi

All of these buildings look awesome, makes me actually want to play SC4 for once. It's been a while, thanks :). I can't wait until these are released so I can make a city from this time period. Thank you for all your hard work.

Also, this has probably been answered before, but what sidewalk mod are you using?

Quote from: c.p. on November 27, 2014, 01:51:20 PM
dwelln8ss32: your first picture appears to be a very nice Italianate-style house.  The last 2 (also very nice) Queen Anne style, probably from the 1890's, more or less.  I've done a little exploring in that general area (especially Kansas City, and St. Joseph), but most of the buildings that sparked my interest appeared to be too late in 19th century to go with my current set.  I may eventually do a set of buildings (or a set of city sets) covering the 1870's to the very early 1900's, and if I do, the Kansas City/St. Joseph/Lawrence is on my list as one of the cities. :)

Awesome, I'd love to see more of my hometown in the game. There is quite a bit of very interesting and nice architecture here, but I have to agree that most of it would be outside the scope of this set, which covers a time period in which Kansas City was relatively small. Not only were many of the buildings built during this time period in what would eventually become Downtown Kansas City, but some buildings built before the early 1870's were affected by the grading of streets in the bluffs (Look at some of the very interesting pictures at: http://www.kchistory.org/cdm4/results.php?CISOOP1=exact&CISOBOX1=Bluffs&CISOFIELD1=local&CISOROOT=/19th) which left them far above street level.

Sorry to indulge myself a bit (and hijack your thread a bit, I'll happily remove the pictures if it's a problem), but here are some aerial maps from this area similar to the others shown in this thread, you can zoom in further at the links:

Kansas City, Missouri (1869)

(http://www.kchistory.org/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/Maps&CISOPTR=1503&CISOBOX=1&REC=12)

Kansas City, Missouri (1878)

(http://www.kchistory.org/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/Maps&CISOPTR=1504&CISOBOX=1&REC=13)

Topeka, Kansas (Date Unknown)

(http://www.kchistory.org/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/Maps&CISOPTR=1636&CISOBOX=1&REC=15)

Images: Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City Missouri, used with permission.
You can call me Jon. :)

Check out my MD: Bienville, Missouri

romualdillo

You've found a quick and effective system to create your buildings with excellent results!!! Let me be a bit jealous, please!!!  :P

kelis

This is crazy !! You are really fast doing more and more new models !!
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

c.p.

Thanks Erik, Matt, Jake, Jon, romualdillo, and kelis  :)

Jon: Thanks for posting the Kansas City maps. :thumbsup:  I'm a little surprised how small it was in 1869. I guess that explains why I didn't find much from that era there. &Thk/(

So here are a couple of R$$ houses from Utica, for the Utica/Buffalo set.  The Unadilla house is intended for rural areas, and is entirely my own invention, so there is nothing particularly Utican about it, but it shares a garage with the Oneida house, which is Utica-inspired:

And a few relevant real-life buildings from Utica: