• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

c.p.'s BAT and Lot Workshop

Started by c.p., November 23, 2012, 04:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dantes

Wow, fantastic work again! °w°

art128

Another excellent set of houses, CP. :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

c.p.

Thanks Matt, Dantes and Arthur  :satisfied:

So, back to Louisville for the first update of 2015.  These are R$$:

And some real-life shots from Louisville:

vester

Another HUGE, yet still BEAU-TI-FUL set.

Great work.  :thumbsup:

Maybe turn down the saturation on the red and cyan textures.

Girafe

The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

art128

Another great set. I like Slugger apartments.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

magee_b

Absolutely stunning work again!  &apls

Especially love the Chenoweth. Can't wait to see these in-game!

romualdillo

Great work again!!!  :thumbsup:

Quote from: vester on January 02, 2015, 09:08:54 AM
Maybe turn down the saturation on the red and cyan textures.

Uuhh, saturation...  $%Grinno$% I fear that word  :P

c.p.

Thanks vester, Girafe, art128, magee_b and romualdillo  :)

So I took Arne's advice and reduced the saturation on the red and blue painted bricks.  Also, I added a version with grey stone on the front (as shown in a couple of the real-life pictures), which I had forgotten before:

Bipin

I much prefer the reduced saturation, it goes well with these types of houses. These models look phenomenal!

Jack_wilds

continued to be awed by the  quality...

and then, the selections highlighting the architectural period's regional interpretations of greek revival/federal...

well done...

:satisfied:

noahclem

Loving the Louisville set, lots of character to the models as always  :thumbsup:

Simcoug

Very nice!!  These Louisville models are perfect - they remind me of some Nashville buildings, which also has plenty of Greek Revival influence (Nashville is nicknamed 'The Athens of the South').  I especially love the 'Slugger Apartments' for the unique dimensions and perfect name  :thumbsup:

EDIT:  Here's an example of a great historic building that I've driven by a few times.  I wish I could have seen what the neighborhood looked like in it's hey day.

swordstalker2008

Ahh I need all these!!! Any idea of a release?! Love them.

deora

Stand back everyone,there is a huge wave of awesomeness coming this way.
c.p.,i can spend a long time on looking at these tiny neat little buildings just because they are beautiful.
I already started thinking about how they will look in my Game....
By the way,have you already thought about how the lots could be modded?
I mean there are tons of medium density lots out there but nothing similar on low density (the only low density homes i have are those mobile homes $%Grinno$%)
How ever,keep up the good work :bnn: &apls

carlfatal

My goodness, you are fast...  :o

Wonderful aerial shots again and particularly more wonderful models!  &apls
Only one suggestion, the red buildings like the Waterson house look a bit bright imho. The color is very intense compared to the other versions.

c.p.

Thanks Bipin, Jack_Wilds, Noah, Matt, Swordstalker2008, deora and carlfatal for your comments :thumbsup:

Quote from: Simcoug on January 05, 2015, 10:22:43 AM
they remind me of some Nashville buildings . . .
EDIT:  Here's an example of a great historic building that I've driven by a few times.  I wish I could have seen what the neighborhood looked like in it's hey day.
Very nice.  The site says there were block after block of townhouses like that back then, but now there are only two pre-civil war buildings remaining in the area :o.  Was Nashville destroyed during the Civil War, like Atlanta?  Or has it just been "improved" by redevelopment and modernization over the years?

Quote from: swordstalker2008 on January 05, 2015, 12:42:38 PM
Ahh I need all these!!! Any idea of a release?! Love them.
All I can say now is I intend to release them when they are done, and the necessary dependency packs are done.  I intend to work on the prop packs this spring and summer.  Then there are some texture packs to finish, lots of foundations to make, TONS of lotting to do, etc.  And who knows what RL disaster will strike next?  So really it is impossible to say when the residential/commercial stuff will be released.  I hope to release some industrials in the next few months though.  :)

Quote from: deora on January 05, 2015, 02:59:44 PM
By the way,have you already thought about how the lots could be modded?
I mean there are tons of medium density lots out there but nothing similar on low density
I have a pretty detailed idea of what I want to do with the lotting.  There will be plenty of low density lots as well as medium density lots.  For the most part the low density lots will be modded to only grow in low density zones, and the medium density lots will be modded to only grow in medium or high density zones.  The low density lots will have the buildings set back from the street, whereas the medium density lots will usually have the buildings close to the street (about 2 meters).  This could vary if the particular city the set is based on has a radically different mid-19th century development pattern.  Some other rules-of-thumb: All residential lots that are stage 4 or higher will be medium density.  Also, apartment buildings will be medium density, except maybe for some very small low-wealth ones.  Stage 3 Low-density lots can have medium-wealth duplexes (as can medium-density lots of any stage).  Low-wealth duplexes can be on any stage low-density lot, as long as they are house-sized.  (Whew, is that more than you wanted to know yet? :D )

Quote from: carlfatal on January 05, 2015, 05:53:51 PM
Only one suggestion, the red buildings like the Waterson house look a bit bright imho. The color is very intense compared to the other versions.
I assume you mean the red versions of Chenoweth and the Slugger Apts?  Those are meant to be brick that has been painted red, so the red is definitely going to be more intense than regular brick.  Here is an example (not the exact shade of red, but just to give a general idea of what I am trying to do with those):

So, for this update, here are some R$ tenements from Lowell, MA for the Manchester/Nashua/Lowell set.  They are kind of plain and boxy, but the design seems to be unique to Lowell (at least I haven't come across tenements like these anywhere else, not even in nearby Manchester) :

And some real life shots from Lowell.  The old photos are the main inspiration.  The similarly-shaped buildings in the present-day street shots lack the Greek Revival detailing (a couple still have some Italiante detailing though).  Some of them may be more recent buildings, but it is at least plausible they are mid-19th century buildings that originally looked like the buildings in the old photos, but have lost their detailing over the years:

Simcoug

Quote from: c.p.
Very nice.  The site says there were block after block of townhouses like that back then, but now there are only two pre-civil war buildings remaining in the area :o.  Was Nashville destroyed during the Civil War, like Atlanta?  Or has it just been "improved" by redevelopment and modernization over the years?

That's a good question.  I've only lived here for about 4 years, so I don't know the whole history, but I would guess that redevelopment has played the larger roll.  The Battle of Nashville was fought in December of 1864, but my recollection was that the confederate army was easily routed and the heavy fighting never got close to the central part of town where most of the larger buildings were located. 
There are still a good number of 19th century buildings around town, but most of them were built after the 1860s. 
Here's a quick list of historical buildings in the area.

The new Lowell buildings look great!  Now I'm curious what types of props you intend to add.  Any new props will get a huge two thumbs up from me :)

vester

Great work.  :thumbsup:

Was looking for pictures of railroad cars and have stumble over a great source called (Delaware) Public Achives.

Here is the one that got me thinking of you:

Great looking wooden industrial building in the back.

Maybe you can find something in the Chicago or Illinois Public Achives.

c.p.

Thanks Matt and Arne  :)

Quote from: Simcoug on January 07, 2015, 11:39:23 AM
Now I'm curious what types of props you intend to add.  Any new props will get a huge two thumbs up from me :)
Clumps of trees and shrubs (many of them).  The "healthy" versions are already done, but I need to make "unhealthy" versions for when the lot abandons.

Arne: Thanks for the link :)  I tried looking for stuff on the Illinois/Chicago archives/digital libraries, but didn't find much.  Anyway, I'm already well underway on one fictional "Chicago" industrial building, and have ideas for a couple more.

So, I just uploaded Thwackmore Elementary school to the LEX: