• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

c.p.'s BAT and Lot Workshop

Started by c.p., November 23, 2012, 04:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwelln8hss32

Gorgeous schools!  &apls  Wow. I can already hear the stern instructors cracking rulers over the disobeying school children's desks. Will move these beauties into my cities right away!  :thumbsup:
All metropolitan dreams start somewhere... in the minds of many, in the feet of less, but in the hands and hearts of only few.

Simcoug

Quote from: c.p.
Clumps of trees and shrubs (many of them).  The "healthy" versions are already done, but I need to make "unhealthy" versions for when the lot abandons.
Neat!  I like the idea of 'unhealthy' vegetation because there really is none in the SC4 prop universe... it will make some of our run down neighborhoods more realistic  :thumbsup:

QuoteAnyway, I'm already well underway on one fictional "Chicago" industrial building, and have ideas for a couple more.
If you are searching for any more industrial ideas, I've always been fascinated with 19th century breweries.  I found this neat picture of the Henry Weinhard's brewery some time back and thought it looked pretty cool.
(click for full)

It's from Portland OR, but still in the 19th century time frame. Anyway, it's amazing how many breweries there were in America before prohibition... despite the current micro brew craze, we still haven't surpassed the 19th century high mark.    ()sad()
(the per capita rate in the later 19th century is just mind boggling... that will never be surpassed)   :o

Thanks for uploading the school - it will be a great addition to any town!

Shark7

The school looks great and has already found it's way into my plugins folder.  :)

BTW, if you do run short on ideas for industrials, I've not noticed a good cotton gin or large stockyard represented.  ;)  Granted I may not have looked in the right place either.  :P

c.p.

Thanks dwelln8hss32, Matt, and Shark7 :)

dwelln8hss32: When I was in elementary school, the teachers used to delight in telling us about the "good old days" when the instructors would discipline unruly students by thwacking them across the knuckles with a ruler.  (That's where the name came from, though it seems like you figured that out already).

Matt: Thanks for posting the picture. :thumbsup:  Good idea.  Breweries were an especially important industry in Columbus, so I might investigate a bit, and relate it to that set somehow, if I make one.

Shark7: I looked for a stockyard too, and didn't find one.  It's something I'd really like to have, and I've thought about how to do it.  But I'm not sure whether I'll undertake (another) big, complicated project like that right now.

Lately, Ive been starting to lose interest in the residentials, so I thought I'd get industrious with some industrials. :D  This is Spyder Packing Co, a fictional I-d packing plant, with matching warehouse.  There is a red brick version, a yellowish brick version, and a wood version; each in ortho and diagonal (FA-2 for the warehouse):

The main packing plant is sort of an amalgamation of these two Chicago buildings (among others):

vortext

Very nice industrial and in diagonal no less!!  :bnn: &apls
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

dwelln8hss32

Oh, wow! Man, oh man. These are very attractive. I especially love the fluted chimney details and upper-deck sunlight windows extending from the cantilevered roofing on the packing buildings. That you produce diagonal and FA orientations, almost as a standard, is A+. I like the wood and yellow brick versions but especially love the red brick. And that old Chicago high school pic had me thinking... ever consider trying a limestone-block BAT? Old limestone buildings are very prevalent where I'm from.

Just as I was shelving my 19thC cities for a while and am working on modern city re-creations, you materialize this avalanche of stunning early 1800s creations and now... damn my eyes. You, sir are an inspired, magical guru and I may just have to open my old cities back up!  ;D

Jake
All metropolitan dreams start somewhere... in the minds of many, in the feet of less, but in the hands and hearts of only few.

vester

Great looking industry.

Stumble over the Denver Public Library. They have a little more industrial pictures, than I have been able to find at the Delaware Public Archives.

Simcoug

Ah yes, it's a brute... and a beautiful one at that!  With some creative lotting, one could turn these hulking factories into urban condos or apartments much like many historic districts have done today.  I lived in Durham NC for some time and downtown was full of these old monstrous factories that have since been refurbished into high-end living space and retail shops.  Thankfully so, otherwise we might lose a bit of our history with each re-development.
Old American Tobacco plant:

New American Tobacco Campus:

I didn't realize Columbus had such a rich beer history.  I'd love to see your take on a Columbus brewery.  :thumbsup:

romualdillo

Beautiful (I only say that rarely) industry! I like the brick detail on the chimneys.  :thumbsup:

carlfatal

Like everything else here the industrial buildings look only awesome.  &apls

Luckily I have the time to wait for the release, so I can sit down patient and look to the wonderful pictures here.

To the red house: Thanks for the picture, now I see, that some people indeed paint red bricks to very red bricks. Crazy...  $%Grinno$%

Keep it up!  :thumbsup:

dwelln8hss32

More food for thought on early industrials, something I have never seen on any of the exchanges, are old city water works buildings. They had to house huge pumping systems, sometimes with large smokestacks. For instance, take this example in Australia: http://www.panoramio.com/photo_explorer#view=photo&position=18&with_photo_id=8260393&order=date_desc&user=1332024

Or this building in Alabama:

Just an idea for a creation that serves dual purpose as a water utility and being 19th century industrial in appearance. And if you do end up working on a brewery (I like Simcoug's idea), you need a water pumping station to get water to those big fermenting tanks, right?

~Jake

noahclem

The industrials look outstanding  &apls  They sure don't make 'em like they used to. You might already be familiar with the area but there is/was some really neat stuff in the Piquette Avenue Industrial Historic District in Detroit.

c.p.

Thanks Erik, Jake, Arne, Matt, romualdillo, carlfatal, and Noah :)

Quote from: dwelln8hss32 on January 15, 2015, 09:33:31 AM
... ever consider trying a limestone-block BAT? Old limestone buildings are very prevalent where I'm from.
I'm not sure what limestone looks like.  Is it like the building below?

Quote from: dwelln8hss32 on January 15, 2015, 09:33:31 AM
You, sir are an inspired, magical guru
Thanks! That's something I've never been called before :D

Quote from: dwelln8hss32 on January 15, 2015, 01:51:35 PM
More food for thought on early industrials, something I have never seen on any of the exchanges, are old city water works buildings. They had to house huge pumping systems, sometimes with large smokestacks.

Someone made the old Chicago water works and water tower (and did a pretty nice job).  I forget who made it, but I'm pretty sure it's on the STEX.  I'm not sure if they made the adjacent pumping station as well.  Also, I looked around and found pictures of old water works, etc for a few of the cities I'm focusing on.  The Louisville one was particularly nice, so I might use that as a starting point to make one sometime in the future.

Matt: I'm glad people have come to appreciate those old mill/factory buildings and are refurbishing them.

So this is what I am currently working on.  It is the Chicago Post Office, built in 1855 and destroyed in the fire in 1871.  The picture shows the building and foundation together.  The bottom 2 floors are foundation.  I'm figuring to use it as a CO$$$ building:

And the real-life building:

Shark7

Very nice on the Chicago Post Office.

I love the old buildings, they have so much personality.  Modern buildings are all the same, just towers of glass.

Obviously, this will be a must download for me.  :thumbsup:

vortext

The post office is fantastic!!  &apls

I hope you'll try your hand at more stone buildings in the future, the texturing is excellent!  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Simcoug

The post office is magnificent!  It will look really nice on a steep slope so as to show of the great foundation.   :thumbsup:

art128

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

dwelln8hss32

QuoteI'm not sure what limestone looks like.  Is it like the building below?

--It's hard to tell from the image, but your post office could be limestone. Here's an example of a limestone building I'm familiar with, the county courthouse in my hometown, although it was built in 1903.

QuoteSomeone made the old Chicago water works and water tower (and did a pretty nice job).  I forget who made it, but I'm pretty sure it's on the STEX.  I'm not sure if they made the adjacent pumping station as well.  Also, I looked around and found pictures of old water works, etc for a few of the cities I'm focusing on.  The Louisville one was particularly nice, so I might use that as a starting point to make one sometime in the future.

I don't know if I've seen an old Chicago water works on STEX. I'll look around. It's great to hear you might consider making one!

Love the post office a lot. It's really beautiful and true to the old photo image, as far as I can see. You read my mind, as I was going to bring that up as an idea.

Jake

art128

Quote from: dwelln8hss32 on January 19, 2015, 07:53:07 AM

QuoteSomeone made the old Chicago water works and water tower (and did a pretty nice job).  I forget who made it, but I'm pretty sure it's on the STEX.  I'm not sure if they made the adjacent pumping station as well.

I don't know if I've seen an old Chicago water works on STEX. I'll look around. It's great to hear you might consider making one!

Are you by any chance talking about This building?
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

dwelln8hss32

QuoteAre you by any chance talking about This building?

Thanks, Art. I guess that's the one. I never downloaded it for one reason or another, possibly due to the poor screenshot, or that it is not a functional water utility.