• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

c.p.'s BAT and Lot Workshop

Started by c.p., November 23, 2012, 04:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noahclem

The post office looks phenomenal! I'll echo the comments about the foundation and texturing  &apls

art128

Quote from: dwelln8hss32 on January 19, 2015, 08:37:11 AM
QuoteAre you by any chance talking about This building?

Thanks, Art. I guess that's the one. I never downloaded it for one reason or another, possibly due to the poor screenshot, or that it is not a functional water utility.

Jasoncw made an utility relot with better screenshot. here

Sorry for hijacking your thread, CP.  :P
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

mattb325

I haven't played the game much (last year I started a new business), but I have downloaded your newest releases as they come out...maybe one day I will fire up the game again!
Your Bats are always such amazing pieces of art and I love the little matching outbuildings that you have been adding to the latest sets  &apls

c.p.

Thanks Shark7, Erik, Matt (Simcoug), Arthur, Jake, Noah, and Matt (mattb325) :)

Arthur: thanks for finding the link to that file &apls

Matt: It's great to hear from you.  :thumbsup:  The best of luck to you with your business, and I hope you are able to take a break sometime soon to open up the game again.

So, here are some more versions of the Chicago Post Office, including stone-limestone (ortho and FA-3), Brick, and Stucco:

Also, I made the following version to see if it would look OK as a wood building.  I'm thinking wood doesn't really work with the deeply inset windows of this building:

romualdillo

Stunning!! I like all the versions. :thumbsup: The wooden version doesn't look as wood, but some kind of white brick due the windows.

Simcoug

Yep, the variations look terrific.   :thumbsup:
Like you mentioned, the wood version looks a little strange due to the inset windows.  Maybe you could do another brick variation - maybe it was painted at one time but the paint has been weathered away:

Just a thought... might not be worth the time needed in photoshop though.

Bipin

Your attention to detail here is remarkable, to say the least. Keep it up!

dwelln8hss32

The limestone version is very nice, and happy to see you made this version! Although, I find myself wishing the color was lighter, ie off-white, like limestone in its cleaner natural state--unless a smokier, aged hue is what you are aiming for. The brick is looking really sharp. I really like all of these new versions!  &apls  Not sure about my opinion on the wood version, but I agree with others here, wood siding appears too thick inside the window framing.
All metropolitan dreams start somewhere... in the minds of many, in the feet of less, but in the hands and hearts of only few.

Shark7

Quote from: Simcoug on January 23, 2015, 05:20:34 AM
Yep, the variations look terrific.   :thumbsup:
Like you mentioned, the wood version looks a little strange due to the inset windows.  Maybe you could do another brick variation - maybe it was painted at one time but the paint has been weathered away:

Just a thought... might not be worth the time needed in photoshop though.

Actually we need more buildings like the one you have pictured here in game.  Lots of towns have lots of buildings that are in this shape and some still in use.  One thing about SC4, even the custom content, is that it always tends to be clean.  When in reality, more stuff looks like this building than not, especially in rural, nearly abandoned towns like where this building is situated.  Almost a ghost town, lot of history in those old run-down buildings though.

I like the idea idea of variations where a building would be seen in various states of repair or decay.  From the way it looked as built, to how it ended up or maybe a stage or two in between.

Shark7

The Chicago Post Office: 

While I like all the versions, I think my favorite is the red brick.  Limestone would be a close second.

Looking forward to the release.  :)

Jack_wilds

all  can is wow!  :o

like teh PO proportions, material choices etc... but the wooden version I am on the fence over... perhaps a different color will make the texture look better... but whatever, its really a creative choice...

watching the progress, progress  :popcorn:

danwaxx

Any plans to release the stuff on Pages 1, 2, 3, etc.? You have some real gems that have been trapped on your hard drive for a good 2+ years.

vortext

Gasp, a far version as well!!  :bnn:

I agree the wooden version looks awkward, however, it kinda begs the question how some of the other models would look as limestone. . the large tenements from a while back come to mind. .   ::)
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

vester

Great looking bats.

One thing: The copper trims looks a bit out of place
(saying that even I being from a city with a lot of copper around)

packersfan

How long before these latest creations are available for download.  They ARE awesome...and I'm gonna need more of these kind of 1800s buildings as I am trying to do an extensive historical approach to my new region.  I'm really interested.  GREAT work!

cmdp123789

Any news or updates on this wonderdul new set?

c.p.

Thanks romualdillo, Matt, Bipin, Jake, Shark7, Jack_wilds, danwaxx, Erik, Arne, packersfan and cmdp123789 for the support and comments :)

Sorry for the long disappearance.  First, in January, I was pretty burnt out and needed a break from this stuff.  And later, real life got busy and kept me away.  I intend to keep working on this project, but updates might be sparser than they were, at least for the rest of the year.  Also, I need to downsize my ambitions for this project.  It's become too big to be realistically finishable.  Some ideas I'm considering are:
-Abandoning the abandoning trees idea, and releasing the tree packs as-is, without any abandoning trees.
-Eliminating the additional lot textures I had intended to make, and releasing those packs as-is.
-Eliminating the intended diagonal or FAR versions for many of the newer residentials.
-Also, I'm considering preparing many of the buildings for release as prop packs, without lots.  (And then someone else could make lots for them separately.)
-I do intend to continue making foundations and abandoned versions for all of the buildings I make, and modding the building props in families, as I have been.  Beyond that I'm not sure how much I'll realistically be able to get done. &mmm

So, with that our of the way, here is a small ID building I was working on in January: The Audubon Print Works, very loosely inspired by various industrial buildings in Louisville:

Jack_wilds

CP... I like your work alot...  :thumbsup:

so much so I would have a difficult time deciding where to draw the line...  &idea  to that end, create complete set or sets that best reflect the time periods and architecture... then a set with the additional misc stuff...  :popcorn:   mor ethan one game plan makes for a popcorn break...

Skylines has really made a mark here...  ??? to teh point its become a huge distraction from SC4... just hope the sc4 doesn't turn into a ghost town  &mmm... all I know is, I am please You are still working at it... and hopefully will Lex what you will in teh set or sets...

plus hoping that the latest and greatest NAM will also be completed as well as a few other teased projects...  %confuso

have yet to splurge to buy a copy of my own sklines to really see what all teh fuss is... living off less than stellar benefits til I am able to get back up on my feet... doesn't help much in teh way of 'toys and hobbies' or such things... when going out to eat is teh biggest highlight life isn't so exciting... hope to be well and good soon and stilbe playing teh SC4...  :satisfied:

luv your work hope to see more and perhaps even download it when it finds itself on the LEX...

be blessed CP

APSMS

No stress Brian. I agree with Jack here, certainly releasing stuff slightly unfinished or with missing pieces is still better than never at all. (JB Simio's extra Clayton University buildings come to mind).

I think having distinct goals is ideal in this situation. Certainly dilapidated trees and other goodies will be appreciated, but instead of axing plans for them, just table them. Then you can have something to come back to, and no one is without the rest of your awesome work due to some minor unfinished business.
As for the lots, I do appreciate your lotting very much, and you are probably one of the few people in the community that can BAT, LOT, and texture, which is actually kind of incredible. However, I am sure Matt (Simcoug) would more than love to get his hands on those BATs and textures of yours and whip up some Lots for the rest of us, and I'm sure I might find a use for your BATs one day (even though I'm not a lotter) if you release a prop pack into the wild.

Anyways, whatever you can get done, I'm sure it will, as always, be impressive and well done. I'd much rather you finish it at your own pace than rush and burn out and never finish.

-Absalom
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Simcoug

Love the industrial building - I was driving through an old part of Nashville yesterday and saw some old industry buildings that look very similar.   

As far as biting off more than you can chew - I know that feeling well  :D
From the ideas you were considering dropping, I hope the diagonal and FAR buildings stay off that list.  I understand that they will take extra time to render, but if they are simply included as props in a larger .dat file, I will be more than happy to whip some lots together (as Absalom suggested).  Diagonal and FAR buildings are such a rare commodity in the world of SC4, so I consider them especially valuable  ;D

Happy Spring!