• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

c.p.'s BAT and Lot Workshop

Started by c.p., November 23, 2012, 04:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vizoria

Great work! I have one question- are these buildings W2W?

Jack_wilds

liking the developments...

:popcorn:

nothing clever to add...  %confuso

aside from  ???  perhaps someone that will step up to 'partner' with to help with the lotting so all these great works do make it to the Stex/plex Lex eventually...

:satisfied:

vester

Really nice work you are doing here Brian.

Maybe add something new: Valley gutters (and gutters in general)

Know its one thing that batters has jumped over.

... and side question: Are you using gmax or .... ?

The small details at gables at the eaves:

Would love to see them more clearly.

Maybe exaggerate some of the depths in the face, making thing like borders around windows more obvious.

Simcoug

Awesome work on the new building - I like the 'modular' approach... this will really look great on sloped terrain.  Plus the building closest to the street will look great as a standalone as well.  It may be too much extra work, but by rendering the 'back' buildings separately without the rooftop shadow, I think they would look nice as standalone buildings as well.   :)

Bummer about the storefront idea... say what you will about maxis content, but their storefront prop family execution was quite clever. But you are right... the LOD's wouldn't work too well since you take advantage of custom foundations.  I can see how that would be a problem.  I think it's my obsession with prop families that gets me on these 'variety' kicks :)

carlfatal

Great work again!  :thumbsup:

I am still looking for a region to play with these models and NAM 34. So you have all the time to make another 2000 models...  :bnn: :D

deora

Wouldn`t be surprised if my PC would pop up a Warning like: "Warning,Awesomeness Overload can`t be calculated,Computer will shut down and explode...."

No seriously,you always amaze me with such cool stuf and clever Details.That imaginative Approach at a Slope friendly Building....that`s bonkers and wicked cool,Love it.

About the "Storefront" Idea:I`m not a SC 4 Modder and don`t have ay Experience in that kind of Stuff,but didn`t Deadwoods Small Shops work kinda similar?A Building without a Front grows and when it`s done a randomly chosen Storefront from a Propfamily pops up.I guess the Storefront Piece overlaps the LOD Box or however it is called just enough to be seen and still makes the Building look like made out of one Piece without odd visual Glitches and it`s looking good from every Side.Not sure how different this is from the "Maxis Storefront" Variation Idea but....well you get the Idea.

c.p.

Thanks Vizoria, Jack_wilds, Arne, Matt, carlfatal, and deora :)

Quote from: Vizoria on August 06, 2015, 01:29:06 PM
I have one question- are these buildings W2W?
None of the recent buildings are W2W.  I'll probably do some W2W buildings eventually, but mainly I want to make detached buildings.

Quote from: vester on August 06, 2015, 04:52:46 PM
side question: Are you using gmax or .... ?
. . .
The small details at gables at the eaves:
Would love to see them more clearly.

Maybe exaggerate some of the depths in the face, making thing like borders around windows more obvious.
I'm using autocad and 3dsmax.  Does today's update have the sort of gable eave detail (minus gutters) and window borders you were suggesting?

Matt and deora:
I'm not sold on the idea of using storefront props as a way to increase variety.  It seems to me the main advantage of the storefront props would be that they would slide up and down against the building (depending on slope) and always be at sidewalk level.  However, my experience with garage doors was that is was very tedious to make the extra models, and then it didn't work as well as I expected (the doors randomly disappear), so it was disappointing.  It's just a lot simpler to make it all as one model.

For this update, it's back to New Bedford, Massachusetts (the city that accidentally inspired this whole project).  These are a couple of in-town residential buildings.  They could be duplexes or very large houses.

201 Albatross Ave (corner duplex):

332 Albatross Ave:

Some real-life shots from New Bedford:

Simcoug

Beautiful new additions, and so much variety!!  &apls
The buildings in your New Bedford (real life) pics appear to be really well maintained, considering how old they are. 
I suppose it's also a testament to how well built they are. 
Thanks for another lovely update  ;D

Vizoria

<starts salivating like a mad dog> Seriously though, great models!

carlfatal

gems from another time...  &apls

Like Simcoug said, good to see them in such a proper condition, and then not only one, no, just a complete quarter.  :) The picture with the backyard alley is really beautyful.

Keep it up!  :thumbsup:

JP Schriefer

Pat

CP its great to see ya at work!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Girafe

The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

c.p.

Thanks Simcoug, Vizoria, carlfatal, Schriefer, Pat, and Girafe ;D

Quote from: Simcoug on August 11, 2015, 12:46:02 PM
I suppose it's also a testament to how well built they are. 
The level of craftsmanship was a lot higher in that era, for sure.

Quote from: carlfatal on August 11, 2015, 02:13:12 PM
The picture with the backyard alley is really beautyful.
Thanks. :) It's actually a street, and those are the fronts of the houses.

Quote from: Pat on August 11, 2015, 07:51:33 PM
CP its great to see ya at work!!!
Great to see you back :thumbsup:

So for today's update: a couple medium wealth houses for the Manchester set.  These are loosely based on real houses I found on an excursion (via Google streetview) through Dover, New Hampshire:

And some real-life shots from Dover:

carlfatal

Quote from: c.p. on August 19, 2015, 12:18:49 AM
Thanks. :) It's actually a street, and those are the fronts of the houses.

Oh, never thought to find real lanes in the USA.  $%Grinno$%

And again a bunch of beauties!  &apls

noahclem

Amazing how much one can miss here being away for a little while :D  The amazing work has certainly continued. One could make whole beautiful cities solely out of these sets--which would be lovely to see!

Vizoria

Those roof tiles are so vibrant, also it is nice that you included both diagonal -AND- FAR versions/variations of your BATs.

art128

Once again a great set. I could easily see myself living in the small house/garage.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

belfastsocrates

Absolutely fantastic work! They're really beautiful houses.
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

romualdillo

Great work again!! I think the prop pack I hope you'll release it's going to be huge!!!!  :o