• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

c.p.'s BAT and Lot Workshop

Started by c.p., November 23, 2012, 04:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simcoug

APSMS

Just wanted to stop in and say that the progress looks lovely. I keep forgetting to comment, so here's some encouragement from me :popcorn:.

I can't wait to see how you mod these into the game!
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

deora

Eeeeeeeek,these tiny Houses are all little Gems

I love that Architecture Style and Baywindows are by far the best.Man i wish i had one.Guess i will grab me some Tools and a strong Glue and check my Neighbors Houses for Baywindows.....man those News would be hilarious :Unknown Nutjob steals Baywindow and leave a regular Pane Window for Exchange!!!

manga rivotra

Wonderful set as always.  :thumbsup: Thanks you to share these jewels  ;D

reddonquixote

Wow I can't keep up with all these wonderful creations. I still can't believe the volume you pump these out at  :o
Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

JP Schriefer

Fantastic! I agree with Vizoria about diagonal versions, would be very cool :)

c.p.

Thanks carlfatal, noahclem, Vizoria, art128, belfastsocrates, romualdillo, Simcoug, APSMS, deora, manga rivotra, reddonquixote, and Schriefer, for all the nice comments :)

Quote from: deora on August 19, 2015, 01:45:15 PM
Guess i will grab me some Tools and a strong Glue and check my Neighbors Houses for Baywindows.....man those News would be hilarious :Unknown Nutjob steals Baywindow and leave a regular Pane Window for Exchange!!!
OK, good plan, but better get some quiet, soft-soled shoes so you don't attract attention to yourself as you're walking down the street carrying the bay window. ???

Quote from: romualdillo on August 19, 2015, 12:05:04 PM
I think the prop pack I hope you'll release it's going to be huge!!!!  :o
It will be broken down into several prop packs, but I won't know the best way to break it down until I've tested the stuff in-game.  My goal is to break it down enough to give people useful choices, but not to break it down into so many little packs that it becomes overly complex.

So for today's update, here are some more R$$ BATs for the Louisville set.  The first one is a real-life house in Elizabethtown, Kentucky, the Horatio Wintersmith House, built sometime between 1820 and 1837 (most sources say early 1820s).  The other is more generic in-town residential building.

The Horatio Wintersmith House:

2 Elizabethtown Road:

Some real-life shots from Elizabethtown, Lexington, and Versailles, Kentucky:

romualdillo

carlfatal

Again pure awesomness!  &apls

The houses from Versailles indeed look totally french. Are they built in the times, when the Missisippi was french colonized?

And I would suggest to make kinda regional prop packs. I could imagine that I am not the only one, who is learning for the first time, how much styles differ in North America. Until I did read all these informations, I must admit, that I thought, there would be two bigger zones, the east and the west, New York and San Francisco. Okay, not that much simplified but not far away from it...  $%Grinno$%

Keep it on, this thread is addictive!  :thumbsup:

bombardiere

Quote from: c.p. on August 26, 2015, 01:31:54 PM
It will be broken down into several prop packs, but I won't know the best way to break it down until I've tested the stuff in-game.  My goal is to break it down enough to give people useful choices, but not to break it down into so many little packs that it becomes overly complex.

This is an interesting question. I make my plugin folder accord to the city I am playing. In an attempt to limit the size of the folder. Therefore I would like to pick and choose. Keep those buildings I want to play with and delete those which doesn't not fit to that particular city.

While I love good props, I am not a fan of huge prop packs. Especially if I am going to need only on or two props from a big file. For example 2 Elizabethtown road is Georgian enough to fit nicely into my Britcities but Horatio Wintersmith House too American to that play.

However you have US builds in your mind and therefore you better release your pack the way of your choosing.

I'm not sold on the idea of using storefront props as a way to increase variety.  It seems to me the main advantage of the storefront props would be that they would slide up and down against the building (depending on slope) and always be at sidewalk level.  However, my experience with garage doors was that is was very tedious to make the extra models, and then it didn't work as well as I expected (the doors randomly disappear), so it was disappointing.  It's just a lot simpler to make it all as one model.

Yes, I would say that this is a LOD issue. To me, it seems that the building has a "stronger" LOD and it eats into prop's LOD. I had had this issue and I have looked into ways to avoid this. The main building as a prop could be an answer, but I personally do not like invisible buildings.

Anyway, you are doing great work.

Simcoug

I feel like sipping a bourbon on that porch - more beautiful homes!   :thumbsup:

Vizoria

Yet more high quality low-density homes, you must have at least a hundred of these homes- that it is going to be one large download!

seraf

Lovely homes, though I must say those from New Bedford are still my favorites ;)

JP Schriefer

Amazing! Can't wait to download this pack!

Girafe

The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

reddonquixote

Wow I never would have guessed these style of houses were so old. Excellent BATs, accompanied by very interesting little vignettes about the architectural inspirations.. very cool  :thumbsup:
Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

romualdillo

Well, what to say? All these little houses look fantastic, specially the French-influenced ones... And thinking about French influence... How about a New Orleans inspired set? That would be wonderful!!

:thumbsup:

vester

They are 50 years older that the building I am living in (its from 1875)....  a bit surprised.

Quote from: c.p. on August 11, 2015, 11:42:39 AM
Quote from: vester on August 06, 2015, 04:52:46 PM
The small details at gables at the eaves:
Would love to see them more clearly.

Maybe exaggerate some of the depths in the face, making thing like borders around windows more obvious.
I'm using autocad and 3dsmax.  Does today's update have the sort of gable eave detail (minus gutters) and window borders you were suggesting?

Looks like it.

As always: Great work!

belfastsocrates

So much loveliness! Such delightful work.
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

Baltimore

I think your work is superb and as long as content like this is produced , SC4 will live forever .  :thumbsup:
AKA raynev1 @Simtropolis
See what I'm into when I'm not playing Simcity4
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq2BmSZmH0YW7U6TithLBsQ