• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

c.p.'s BAT and Lot Workshop

Started by c.p., November 23, 2012, 04:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swordmaster

reddonquixote

Another lovely little set of houses... I especially love the little dormer windows  :thumbsup:
Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

bombardiere

Once again superb work with period buildings. You are an inspiration to me. :) And thank you for your historic industries. Therea are very usefull in many settings. More of those please. :)

c.p.

Thanks Simcoug, Simmer2, Girafe, kbieniu7, mattb325, Willy, reddonquixote, and bombariere  :)

Quote from: Simcoug on January 28, 2016, 08:52:09 AM
How do you find the neighborhoods that inspire your models?  Is it just random Google earth browsing, or do you have other methods?  I always like seeing the RL examples, especially how the neighborhoods are laid now after hundreds of years of changes. 

The easiest way is to look at the census numbers for, say, 1840 or 1860, and see what the top 50 or 100 cities were for that year.  The cities that are on those lists, but that haven't grown to become really big cities since then, tend to be the best cities for finding buildings (or even whole neighborhoods) from that era.
Also, I've done a lot of random exploring along the Mississippi and Ohio rivers, (because they were important travel routes), and in Kentucky and New Hampshire, (just because I found those states interesting.)  In some of the older east coast states, such as New Hampshire, you can pretty much randomly pick a town and zoom right in to pre-civil war buildings, because they're everywhere.

Speaking of New Hampshire, how about a couple more R$$ buildings for the Manchester set:

121 Claremont Road:

Holman Duplex:

Some real life shots from Claremont and Concord, New Hampshire, and Lowell, Massachusetts:

Simmer2

c.p., you must have a building photocopying machine on that desk!!!
Simply outstanding  &apls &apls
________________________________________________________________________________

Gugu3

romualdillo

art128

How do you not get bored BATing houses all the time?! beautiful set of house again. :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Simcoug

Aaah, so there is a method to your madness.  But it mostly sounds like you have a nose for sniffing out these great houses.
Amazing progress once again - I love the simplicity of the Claremont house - the green with red trip is a great look.   :thumbsup:

I also like that first RL photo - looks like a fun fixer-upper  :)

vester

magee_b

Another great set! I've lived in a house in Atlantic Canada resembling the "Holman Duplex". Simply wonderful additions to the ever-expanding collections!  :thumbsup:

Silur

Swordmaster

c.p.

Thanks Simmer2, Gugu3, romualdillo, art128, Simcoug, vester, magee_b, Silur, and Willy :)

Quote from: art128 on February 05, 2016, 03:19:15 AM
How do you not get bored BATing houses all the time?!
I do get bored BATing houses sometimes. :)
But there's a lot that's potentially interesting about houses, in my opinion.  Houses express the culture of the time and place.  People go to great effort and expense to build all sorts of non-functional details into their houses.  Why?  What purpose do they serve?  Do they constitute a sort of architectural language? and if so, what does that particular language have to say about the society of the time, or of the individual owner who wanted that particular house built?  There is always something there to explore or discover.  In a way, BATting is a way to play with these ideas (as opposed to articulating them, analyzing them etc.)  And as long as it's play, it's not boring. ;)
Also, how the houses are physically arranged into neighborhoods can be interesting (to me anyway).  And so the need to make enough houses to play around with ideas of that sort (via lotting) can keep me BATting, even when the individual BATs might not interest me as much.  (That's probably more than you wanted to know :D)

Here are a couple more medium wealth houses for the Manchester set.  I think I must be about 75% done now with the R$$ batting for the Manchester set.   I re-used the bay windows I made for the Thorndike mansion several pages back to make these.

Some real-life shots from Lowell, MA:

dyoungyn

Wow! &apls  Can't wait for release.  Your details are AMAZING.  It still amazes me how American Ingenuity can create space out of every nook and cranny in their homes.

Girafe

Lovely models as usual  &apls &apls

Start to hire an army of dwarfs to do the LOTing  :P
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

Simcoug

Yay!  I love bay windows, and I think they look especially good in SC4 (I think it's the angle at which they are viewed in-game).   &apls

vortext

Haven't commented here in a dozen updates or so but I've silently marveled at each. Great work going on here as per usual and I've to say the mansions are extraordinary!   &apls
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

bombardiere

Yeah, I have also quietly marvelled these historic houses.  &apls I see a turn of century city coming along. :) And I am especially happy about the industrials on the advent calender. My warmest thanks.

Jack_wilds

yet another impressive set of houses... luv teh progress...

like the bay windows alot... the colors are also worth noting as also the textures for the roof shingles... like these sets...

I am hoping that there is someone to help you lot and mod all these sets so they do find their way on the LEX and the STeX eventually...

its all good  :thumbsup:

:popcorn: