• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

c.p.'s BAT and Lot Workshop

Started by c.p., November 23, 2012, 04:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swordmaster

JP Schriefer

Amazing, I can't wait to have aaaaaallll these houses you're showing here in game, it will look so realistic..

noahclem

Excellent work on these and very interesting take on what the housing styles of different places say about the people, culture, etc  &apls

c.p.

Thanks dyoungyn, Girafe, Simcoug, vortext, Bombardiere, Jack_wilds, Willy, Schriefer and noahclem for your very kind comments :)

For todays update, here are a couple R$$ houses for the Appalachian set:

153 Tobacco Road:

253 Tobacco Road:

Some real-life shots from Lynchburg and Staunton, Virginia:
Built in 1816:

The white house with the green roof and white chimneys was built in 1837:

Simcoug

Lovely!  And the Tobacco Road moniker is quite appropriate since Duke and UNC played last night.  I'm looking forward to turning these into some 'farm house' type lots.   &apls

Swordmaster

Phenomenal! Tailor-made for PSC, all of this. Keep tantalizing us! :D

Cheers
Willy

Simmer2

________________________________________________________________________________

mattb325

Love 'em! I especially like the narrowness of the upstairs rooms - it's quite unique

JP Schriefer

c.p.

Thanks Simcoug, Willy, Simmer2, mattb325 and Schriefer :)

Here are some more rural-ish low wealth houses for the New Bedford set:

Some real-life shots from Salem, New Jersey, and Nantucket, MA:

Simmer2

C.P. I'm out of drool, so when can we see some of these houses in game   :D

Nick
________________________________________________________________________________

Simcoug

Aaaah yes, the 'saltbox' home.  Throw a rock in any rural American town and you'd probably hit one of these houses.  And I really like the enlongated Bosun home... it will add some fun shapes to our otherwise boxy towns.  Top notch as usual  :thumbsup:

Silur

Swordmaster

Love them! I think you've got some pretty realistic lotting going on there. I wonder what the narrow street is there, is that in the new NAM?

Oh wait, my lawyer tells me that's a RL picture $%Grinno$%

Cheers
Willy

reddonquixote

I really like the way you make low wealth look like 'low wealth' and not like 'maxis-dirty-slum', much more realistic and something people would actually want in their city.

Great work as always   ;D &apls
Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

matias93

And showing how real-life cities are always more diverse than we can simulate, I've always thought that maxis slum-styled low wealth houses looked too much high wealth to make latin american neighbourhoods.

I think that is one of the beauties of this community of creators...

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

Jack_wilds

thoroughly luv the salt boxes...
picking on teh weathered shingled ones as the stand outs...
but that Grandma Janet's violet colored one is also keen for a farm site surrounded by barn and out buildings and farm critters...

U know what I wonder? Jmeyers farm sense and lotting plus some of your models... what sort of farm sets would he make...   &mmm

I wish he made more such things and small corner commercial concerns to go with the sleepy rural areas... as the 'main section corners +plus railroad service,' is where many of these town local church socials commercial retail tavern sales points built up...  ???

like the progress

:satisfied:

romualdillo

Great work again!! You're really doing a fantastic investigation work about American architectural styles!  &apls

c.p.

Thanks Nick, Simcoug, Silur, Willy, reddonquixote, matias93, Jack_wilds and romualdillo :)

Quote from: Simmer2 on February 25, 2016, 10:38:49 AM
I'm out of drool, so when can we see some of these houses in game   :D
Lately I've been making progress on foundations.  Once I get a big bunch of foundations done, I'll go into "modding mode" for a while and then "lotting mode" and then eventually I'll dust off my Simcity CD and do some testing.  I hope to do a small test in the next few weeks, and of course I'll get some screen shots then. :)

Quote from: Swordmaster on February 25, 2016, 12:11:40 PM
I think you've got some pretty realistic lotting going on there. I wonder what the narrow street is there, is that in the new NAM?

Oh wait, my lawyer tells me that's a RL picture $%Grinno$%
:D With all the great stuff people have been creating, it's getting hard to tell the difference

Quote from: reddonquixote on February 25, 2016, 12:54:44 PM
I really like the way you make low wealth look like 'low wealth' and not like 'maxis-dirty-slum', much more realistic and something people would actually want in their city.
Quote from: matias93 on February 25, 2016, 01:59:53 PM
And showing how real-life cities are always more diverse than we can simulate, I've always thought that maxis slum-styled low wealth houses looked too much high wealth to make latin american neighbourhoods.

I think that is one of the beauties of this community of creators...
The Maxis low wealth houses seem pretty realistic to me, although on average they might be slightly smaller than the ones I typically see here in the interior northwestern U.S.  I've tried to design most of my larger low wealth houses so they can be interpreted as duplexes or multifamily if so desired, to keep the scale similar to Maxis.
One irony about my last update is a lot of those "low wealth" houses in the real-life pics are probably worth millions of dollars today, although they were probably originally built for lower-class or middle-class workers.  Just because that particular town has become a desirable vacation area. &mmm

Quote from: Jack_wilds on February 25, 2016, 04:57:34 PM
that Grandma Janet's violet colored one is also keen for a farm site surrounded by barn and out buildings and farm critters...
Hmm, maybe I'll make a farmhouse version of that salbox and some barns to go along with it . . .

Just a small update today: these are the FAR versions of the Waterson and Chenoweth houses from the Louisville set:
Waterson:

Chenoweth:

The ortho versions can be seen here and here.

cmdp123789

Those are looking fine  &apls Its good to have a good and strong foundation.. and the releases will come.. but at the same time, dont get too many models that later will throw you off.. you know, when you see the work ahead.. you can get too bored and lose interest at all..