• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

c.p.'s BAT and Lot Workshop

Started by c.p., November 23, 2012, 04:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c.p.

Thanks Jack_wilds, noahclem, Simcoug, omgitskc, bombardiere, Aaron Graham, dyoungyn, carlfatal, MushyMushy, David H, metarvo and mattb325 for the comments!  It's great to see so many people reappear here who I thought might have been swallowed up by RL :thumbsup:.

Regarding the big trees discussion:
I didn't get any actual Redwoods showing up on the lots in my testing, so hopefully those won't show up on the lots because they would be obnoxiously large for backyard trees.  The Ponderosa Pines, Douglas Firs, Spruces, etc are still pretty large though, and those will show up in-game.
Simcoug's house with the big trees around it could easily be representative of my area as well.  (I'm several hundred kilometers inland from Seattle, and many of the same trees grow here).

I've definitely thought before about what bombardiere was saying.  Even within the region where I live there are some cities/towns that are heavily forested, and some that are more grassy/open and it makes a big difference in the feel of the place.  It would be ideal to have a set of lots for each of these situations, but of course, that would be a lot of work.  For my newer lots, I haven't been using as many of the really tall trees, so maybe that will help.  Also, with the different "sets" (i.e. Manchester, Chicago, Louisville, etc) maybe I'll go for a different look for each lottingwise as well as architecturewise.

Quote from: mattb325 on April 06, 2017, 04:05:30 PM
IRL if everyone who has a yard planted at least one tall tree...the planet would thank us for it  $%Grinno$%
In my neighborhood, where most of the houses are 70-100 years old, and the lots are pretty small, there is usually one big old spruce (or sometimes Douglas Fir or Ponderosa Pine) on the lot.  It makes me wonder if the original owners of the houses had something like this in mind, and planted a tree when they built/moved in.

For today's update, here are a couple more medium wealth residentials for the Manchester set.
129 Franconia Road:

229 Franconia Road:

And some real life pictures from Nashua, Lebanon, and Manchester, New Hampshire:

Silur

Wonderful houses! I like them  :thumbsup:

Simmer2

You are on a roll!

Nick
________________________________________________________________________________

praiodan

Brian, it is wonderful to still see you up and running, creating so many new houses still, after all those years. Beautiful work, that is all I can say.  &apls

Tyberius06

Oh dear! I need to start to build a less w2w shaped city with your previous and upcoming beauties!  &apls &apls
Bravo, great work!
Thank you!

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

Simcoug

Amazing as usual!  The duplex size of these will help fill the gap between suburb single family houses and the higher urban multi-unit apartment type complex buildings.  The matching garages look great too.  I didn't know you were in the pacific NW... Since so many of your BATs have a East coast or Midwest vibe I imagined you were from around there too.  I still have family in Spokane and the Wenatchee area of Washington so I get back fairly often.  Can't wait to see your next creation  :thumbsup:

c.p.

Thanks Silur, Nick, Lars, Tyberius and Matt  :)

Quote from: Simcoug on April 09, 2017, 07:01:36 AM
I didn't know you were in the pacific NW... Since so many of your BATs have a East coast or Midwest vibe I imagined you were from around there too.
Well, western Montana actually. So sort of Pacific Northwest and sort of Rocky Mountain. But the era I've mainly been interested in is before the Western U.S. developed any substantial cities, so that has me exploring the East and Midwest a lot. (Plus I'm a bit of an explorer by nature anyway ;D).

So, at some point last year, I decided to take a little break from the 19th Century and made these early 20th Century "Craftsman" style medium-wealth residentials, perhaps for a future early 20th century residential set.  They are not representative of any particular place.  As far as I can remember, they are "fictional" designs, but the second one at least was inspired by houses/duplexes in Detroit.  So that one may have a bit of a Detroit vibe to it, I don't know.  I didn't save any RL pictures, so for this update, it's just the models:

1 Jitterbug Lane:

2 Jitterbug Lane:

Silur

This is a huge community of fine homes. Everyone can choose a suitable one. GREAT JOB! It's gorgeous!  :thumbsup: &apls &apls &apls

deora

It always amazes me how someone can churn out so many new BATs in a relatively short Period of Time.
And again you amaze us with your Attention for Detail in moddeling and texturing.
I downloaded the new Victorian Houses Set of yours a few Days ago and when the first of those Lots popped up it brought a smile on my Face. &apls

vester

Great work B.

Really love it. Just had a few appear in one of my cities. :)

Kitsune

the 1 Jitterbug Lane has a couple models that look like some found in my neighboorhood in Toronto that spans from 1900 to 1920/30s. Also has some Victorian, the odd Tudor but is dominated by Edwardian.
~ NAM Team Member

praiodan

Superb variety Brian. With your work it will be hard to ever grow a building twice.  $%Grinno$%

dyoungyn

This really reminds me of "This Old House" homes they renovate.  Absolutely stunning!

Simmer2

It just keep getting better and better  &apls

Nick
________________________________________________________________________________

Vizoria

One day SC4 players are going to have A LOT of diagonal and FA buildings to play with! Keep up the great work and I look forward to more releases of the building packs you have assembled.

Maybe get Simcoug to do some of the lotting? He's lotted some of your buildings before.

Simcoug

Great craftsman looking houses!  Those will easily fit in with other early 20th century buildings.  I know jmyers had a set of homes that would look great next to these.
I love Montana  ;D
My father-in-law grew up in Great Falls, so I've been out there a number of times.  Great town, with some great old buildings too :thumbsup: 
Same with Butte.  I always thought it had some interesting history. 

I wish I could have tried a beer from the Butte brewery (far left)  :)

c.p.

Thanks Silur, deora, vester, Kitsune, praiodan, dyoungyn, Simmer2, Vizoria, and Simcoug :)

Quote from: praiodan on April 16, 2017, 02:23:46 AM
With your work it will be hard to ever grow a building twice.  $%Grinno$%
My hope is to have enough houses in these sets that people can play the game for a very long time and still continue to have houses they've never seen before pop up occasionally.

Quote from: Simcoug on April 17, 2017, 06:42:04 AM
I know jmyers had a set of homes that would look great next to these.
Definitely.  Especially since JMeyers' set is slope-friendly.
Quote from: Simcoug on April 17, 2017, 06:42:04 AM
My father-in-law grew up in Great Falls, so I've been out there a number of times.  Great town, with some great old buildings too :thumbsup: 
Same with Butte.  I always thought it had some interesting history. 
If I ever get around to doing some big late 19th century sets, Butte and Helena are two of the cities I want to draw ideas from.

So back to Manchester, New Hampshire for today's update.  This is a low-wealth apartment building.  It's the same footprint/prop family as the 121 Stockyard Street BAT shown Here.  It's a little narrower than the New Hampshire/New England buildings I've seen, though.  So I kind of have mixed feelings about this one, since my own little personal goal is to amp up the New Hampshire/New England vibe as much as possible on the buildings in this set (and to amp up the Chicago vibe on the buildings in the Chicago set, and the Ohio River vibe on the buildings in the Louisville set, etc).  On the other hand, most people could probably care less about any of that, so I'm going to try to not let it bug me for now. %wrd

187 Messer Ave:

Some real-life pics:

Silur

I think - these masterpieces will never be released to the people. A lot of work with PROPS and LOTS - it's impossible or almost impossible... good Luck to You.  :bnn: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
You put your life on the SC4 game. Thank You.  &apls &apls &apls

Vizoria

Wow, wow and WOW again!

I wonder if its possible to create W2W versions by combining two such models together? Perhaps this is possible for the diagonal versions too?

kbieniu7

Indeed: Wow! You still could amaze with the quantity and quality of your models, good work!  :thumbsup:
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!